• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! A player wants to play "Captain America"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wow. I'm always a bit surprised by the emotional responses to a question, especially negative ones.

The guy has a favorite hero. He wants to play him. That's character motivation and a good Role-Playing base.

I have no love for 4Ed, but even I can see that Cap is a fairly simple concept that should be supportable in almost any genre of RPG, including FRPGs.

2 guys in Marvel come to mind as being Fantasy-Capable. One is Thor, and the other is Cap.
Many other Marvel characters that are "Fantasy Capable" IMHO:

Black Panther
Black Knight
Black Tom Cassidy
Banshee
Hawkeye
Iron Fist
Storm
Tigra
Mantis
The Swordsman
Batroc the Leaper
Black Widow
Kraven The Hunter
Mockingbird
Doctor Strange
Doctor Druid
Wolverine (Oddball weapon + wilderness skills/animalistic nature + DR or Regen)
Invisible Woman
The Angel
The Beast
Kitty Pryde
Marvel Girl
Prof. X
Psylocke
Snowbird
The Vulture
Kingpin
The Rose
Unas the Untouchable
Daredevil
Mysterio
Moon Knight
Shaman
The Falcon
Bullseye
Most androids (Warforged + PC class)
Nightcrawler (an acrobatic swashbuckler with a T-Port)
Scarlet Witch (as some kind of Wild Mage/probability alterer)
Hercules (and any other Olympian, Asgardian, or Eternal based on a mythological being)
Most energy projectors (some kind of mage)
Any basic "Brick" (Hulk, Thing, Doc Samson, Luke Cage, etc.)

...and the list could go on for quite a ways if I really thought about it.

Then there's DC comics, Valiant, Image, and so forth.

Simply put, so many superheroes can trace their origins back to RW legend and fantasy fiction that going the other way for a FRPG PC is both natural and relatively easy.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Agreed. It's a bummer to see people being down on the idea, but that's more than made up for by the enthusiasm folks have put into making the concept work. Plus, it's just fun to see different ways of creating it.

AllisterH

First Post
I have to agree with others.

Classic Steve Rogers is a WARLORD, plain and simple. That's his claim to fame in the MU. Maybe with some paladin multiclassing.

He's not considered the best fighter in the MU, but by far, he's the best team leader (With Cyclops a distant second) and is his claim to fame.

Now the Winter Soldier/Bucky/Captain America...That's a Fighter/Ranger striker, plain and simple.

Remove ads