• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help for my player

Grimmjow

First Post
K. I have a dude in my group who needs tips. He's lost, well 3 guys to death in not even 8 levels yet. I'm getting frustrated with it also. i mean i kill him ya but I'm playing the monsters as real as they can. he goes off by himself and gets mobbed. Ive done it more than once so he should learn. The rest of the group is getting sick of it also, they don't want to waste powers to keep him alive. So what i did was tell him that he needs to play a sort, elementalist, or a warlock for his next guy. That way he can fight at a range. The group needs a ranged striker anyway but id like to get tip from you guys that i can give to him next time we play

Grimmjow

First Post
another problem is he thinks high defenses are the only way to survive, but i still hit him every time cause he gives off combat advantage, then trys to find a way to get his defenses higher

Ryujin

Legend
Sounds like he not only needs a ranged character, but one that's tough to nail down. Might I suggest a maxi-teleporting Eladrin Feylock or Swordmage? That way at least if he runs off on his own, he's got a way out of the mob.

was

Adventurer
Dungeon Survival Rule #1: NEVER split the party.

..if he's going to insist on going out on his own, he better be able to hide well

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm currently playing a Dwarven Starlock/Psion who has proven to be pretty damn durable. Not only does he have the second highest HP total- High Con, of course- the Warlock offers a lot of mobility enhancing powers, like short-range teleports. Other Warlock powers can blind foes or inflict other conditions.

And, of course, there is ShadowWalk.

You could enhance this durability in a number of ways. For instance, my Starlock has matched Con & Cha, but could easily be high-Con only. If he were an Infernal Pact Warlock instead, not only would being high-Con only be optimal, many of their powers grant THP.

If he didn't want to play a Dwarf, there are other races that could be fun for a InfernaLock. Races that teleport, races with breath weapons, etc.

Of course, the major problem with a "soloing" Warlock is that 99% of their powers have a range of 10 or less, and few affect more than one target. This means it's hard to keep foes from closing. That means multiclassing to get some kind of longer-range or additional evasive power might be a good idea.

Why and how does he go off on his own? Is it tactically in mid combat or strategically so the other guys aren't even in the room? And what causes him to do it?

Grimmjow

First Post
Why and how does he go off on his own? Is it tactically in mid combat or strategically so the other guys aren't even in the room? And what causes him to do it?

I may have made it sound worse than it is. its not like he runs to a different room and gets mob, he just runs away in combat and trys to survive, even in a horde of minions.........and I'm not sure why he just does it.

Ryujin

Legend
I may have made it sound worse than it is. its not like he runs to a different room and gets mob, he just runs away in combat and trys to survive, even in a horde of minions.........and I'm not sure why he just does it.

We had a Rogue who would do that, in virtually every fight. He was the only one who consistently almost, or did run out of healing surges because when he ran, none of us were close enough to provide support. He was even too far away for me to "Fey Switch" with him, so that I could drop the "Otherwind Stride" bomb on his pursuers and then book it, myself.

Taed

First Post
If the player wants to be in the thick of it, then they should pick an appropriate character, but the OP doesn't mention what they were picking. Perhaps an Earth Warden, along with a race of Dwarf, Goliath, or Warforged due to their racial powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads