• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help for my player

Grimmjow

First Post
Thats what im hoping for i have been plaig a fighter character until we can get my friend to be able to play (hopfiully she will be abel to play in the next few weeks) but she went two handed weapon and is more of a stirker now so he has to be a tank

lets pray

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Good-luck buddy and hopefully he won't die as easy. I know that playing a defender as a semi-striker can be a way to live longer since I did that with a warlord awhile ago. Was quite fun :)

Breaks

First Post
Good-luck buddy and hopefully he won't die as easy. I know that playing a defender as a semi-striker can be a way to live longer since I did that with a warlord awhile ago. Was quite fun :)

I'm kinda confused by this. Warlords aren't defenders

Leaders can be durable, though, if built right or selfish with their healing.

Durability is not her issue, though - a bad tactical penchant is.

It's possible that changing classes/roles will make her stand her ground but I still think this problem would be better served by solving it socially, rather than mechanically.

Or you could just use lots of monsters that immobilize her to prevent running off.

Breaks

First Post
Have you asked him why he playes like he does? Maybe he likes to get killed? Are his characters all named Kenny?

From what he's said it sounds to me like she's just relatively inexperienced with the system.

For newcomers, particularly those who have played MMOs in the past, and particularly after hearing so many grognards comparing 4e with WoW, having a monster up in their face when they're not "the tank" is something to be avoided at all costs.

And a subsequent death may well be blamed on "the tank," because, in such systems, players expect the guy with the shield to absorb 100% of the damage, and tanks take 95% reduced damage from monsters, so to pose any threat the monsters essentially one-shot strikers.

That's nowhere close to how things work in D&D, but if she doesn't know that, it would explain why she runs away.

I played in a one-shot with some newcomers recently where as the first encounter we got ambushed in a marketplace, with the party rather spread out over a 30x30 grid. One of the new players was a good 15 squares away from the rest of us, and had a single minion adjacent to him, but was paralyzed with fear and repeatedly demanded that one of the defenders come save him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads