• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me accept psionics

Merkuri

Explorer
Moab2 said:
The Eberron explanation only hurts my efforts though, as it was pointed out that psionics comes from aliens (i know, extradimensional is not the same as extraterrestrial, but it feels the same to me).

I meant alien as in "strange and foreign", but if the terminology is your sticking point then I'd understand why it bothers you. ;)

Sejs

First Post
Traditional magic uses an ambient energy (mana, etc) from an external source and shapes it into a desired effect. Psionics use a self-generated internal energy and either redirect it within themselves, or shape it and project it outward. As mentioned in another thread: ki, psionics, and to a lesser extent, native life-force are pretty much interchangable concepts.

1) The Mind Flayers/Githyanki/Aboleth route: Psionics are the strange magics-embodied-in-flesh of beings Not From Around Here. Its roots are alien, but its practice (while esoteric) can be learned by just about anybody with enough mental discipline. Particularly, its was originally developed by beings that come from places where the presence of a shapable ambient external energy isn't a sure thing. Floating in the featureless void beyond there isn't free mana to use; the only thing you're even certain exists is yourself.. so that's where you turn.

2) The Mystic Far Off Lands route: Psionics originated in far off lands, culturally far different from our own. There, psioinics are the norm and traditional magic is strange and exotic. Their mind mages don't toss around fireballs, but penetrate with ease things that are very difficult for 'normal' spellcasters, such as seeing the future or reading minds. They don't summon celestial bison or fiendish stirges, but they craft living effigies of their strange gods from the raw essence of creation in the form of Astral Constructs.

Kapture

First Post
I have this thing running in the back of my head that psionics is the future of magic in my game.

Like technology, things proceed from really hard, to kludgy, to easy: Mechanical adding machines clocks, to punchcard operated mainframes, to desktops with a cartoony looking ideographic operating system.

Magic goes from: energy manipulated with magic words and rubber chickens that has fairly discreet effects to magic that is largely manipulated by thought, that has scalable results depending on how much juice you put into them and are sometimes very tailorable (Astral Constructs).

Really look at psionics powers. The only real effect they have in game that is "not magical" are the astral constructs. And it's pretty arguable that customizable thought forms are less "magical" than summoning a demonic warthog.

I like the d20 modern take that all effects are "FX." Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc. Really, it's all stuff that has not a chance in hell of happening while I'm watching.

Roman

First Post
Moab2 said:
Hello. I need some help. As a bit of background, I am one of those narrowminded individuals who can't stomach any guns (no matter how primitive) or technology (no matter how well explained--Eberron I'm looking at you) in my fantasy.

Heh, I am one of those individuals too. Guns, steampower, etcetera are 'features' that I do not like to see in my fantasy games.

As such, psionics has always rubbed me wrong, as it seems a bit too sci-fi/superheroish for my tastes.

For me, psionics has never been a problem to accept in fantasy games, though I do not allow it in all my games.

However, I want very much to overcome my prejudice against psionics (not guns or tech though :) ), and was hoping some of you brilliant and persuasive people could help me. How have you reconciled psionics with an otherwise traditional fantasy setting?

I am not looking for a discussion on how the psionics system is better than the current magic/spell system. I am more or less only interested in flavor, not crunch (plus, I happen to like the Vancian system).

My psionic powers are to the best of my knowledge nonexistent, but I will see what I can do anyway. ;)

The core of the issue, I think, lies in the way you interpret psionics. Think of the various guises supernatural powers can take and how they can be acquired. Then ponder the potential fundamental sources of supernatural power in your campaign. What can we come up with? There are plenty of fantasy archetypes dealing with the supernatural. There are people who acquire their supernatural power through difficult rituals and invocations, and there are people who pray or bargain for supernatural boons to gods, spirits, demons or other entities. The correspondence of these two archetypes with Wizards and Priests is clear, but the fantasy archetype of people who gain their powers from the inside, using their own internal energy, draining themselves to produce supernatural effects are also compelling. That is precisely what psionics represents: Supernatural powers that originate in the inside of the individual, requiring his force of will to use and channel and draining him in the process. As such, psionics have nothing to do with technology or sci-fi, albeit they may also appear in such. Psionics have everything to do with supernatural powers generated from within rather than acquired from without.

You said we should not mention mechanics, but mechanics does pertain to flavour and I will mention it in such context only. When I design a world with multiple sources of power and want to differentiate them, how do I accomplish this? I find it best to use different systems, enabling the users of these supernatural powers to excel in different things. For me, at least, psionics serves this function well for the supernatural powers coming from the inside. In such a way, mechanics help to enhance flavour and distinctiveness of each source of supernatural power.

Thank you all very much. I promise to keep an open mind.

I hope that helped. :)

Moab2 said:
Hello. I need some help. As a bit of background, I am one of those narrowminded individuals who can't stomach any guns (no matter how primitive) or technology (no matter how well explained--Eberron I'm looking at you) in my fantasy.

We are kindred spirits. The Deryni books are what allowed me to accept it, nay, welcome it. I still don't necessarily like them mixed with regular magic, but I can deal.

Benben

First Post
Henry said:
Second, it helps to think of it was just another form of magic, sometimes - one where the "triggers" come from within. THinking of it in the same school as Sorcerers can help here.

I went one step farther and removed sorcerers from my game and replaced them with psionics.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Think of psionics as a new type of energy, like Chi/Ki. Instead of tapping the world around and manipulating mana, you are manipulating your own life force into creating special effects. Monks and Psionics would go hand in hand using this model, and it wouldn't be a bad way to introduce Psi into your campaign.

Mystics from the Far East come and show their amazing feats of energy manipulation, offer to take on students. Suddenly, people start tapping into their own Chi and develop Wild Talents. As time rolls in your campaign, people start becoming full Psionic classes.

Then the first Psi PrC is born... and he's not a good guy.

Plot! :)

resistor

First Post
Herobizkit said:
Think of psionics as a new type of energy, like Chi/Ki. Instead of tapping the world around and manipulating mana, you are manipulating your own life force into creating special effects. Monks and Psionics would go hand in hand using this model, and it wouldn't be a bad way to introduce Psi into your campaign.

That's exactly how psionics works IMC. To me, monks and psions are effectively the same, as are Ki and Psi. Psions are like sorcerers in that they have an in-born talent for it, while monks are those who have learned it only through discipline and training. If you've read the Wheel of Time books, it parallels nicely with those who are born with the spark and those who are capable, but have to learn it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Eberron is not extradimensional powers, it's dream powers in the waking world. It's one of the few times I've thought psionics really clicked for me. The wushu psionics-as-ki stuff also works for me.

Henry said:
First of all, remember that most psionic words that crop up, "cata-" "meta-" "-kinesis" are not modern, they're ancient Greek. This often throws many people for a mental loop, where they see "catapsionic" or whatever and think of futuristic sci-fi terms.
It really doesn't matter where the word comes from, calling someone a psychometabolist is going to throw me right out of the traditional fantasy frame of thought.

For me, and indeed, for many, the base idea of psionics isn't the problem--dress it up as magic and ritual like the Deryni and I'm fine. The problem is that, to make psionics acceptable, I'd have to go through every ability and power to change the wording and flavor, and the system isn't so appealing that I want to waste that time.

And, of course, there are people who love psionics for exactly that pseudo-scientific flavor, who would rather manifest 'False Sensory Input' than a cast an illusion, use 'Psychofeedback' instead of Bull's Strength and be a master of psychometabolism than a shapeshifter.

And, hey, that's fine; just, find some other game to do that in.

Remove ads