D&D 5E Help me build a high demand support/healer

So, I'm in a campaign that frequently runs very high challenge rating combat situations multiple times between long rests, and has a home-brew mechanic that kind of discourages long rests in general (cursed artifacts and such interfering with rest and such.)

Our healers are leaving the campaign for an extended period of time, and the DM has allowed me to create a support character to pick up the slack while they're gone. This is important, because without healers, we will die with how the DM throws challenges at the group. Not a matter of 'if', but rather 'when.'

So, I'm asking for help in creating a support/healer that would work well in a campaign that goes long periods of time and multiple combat scenarios between long rests, and suggestions on how to play it.

I've not really done a dedicated caster before, and definitely not in 5e.

I've seen the GITP Healer Handbook thread, and the recommendations there, but mostly those seem to be for casters that require long rests to recover their spells, which would be a disadvantage in my current campaign.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

(We're all level 9 right now. Party includes an assassin, a champion fighter, a paladin, and a storm sorcerer)

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to run a support character you might give me.

Coroc

Hero
Try a favored soul sorcerer eventually if your DM allows for it, combine with healer feat?

Or a life cleric.

Did not analyse this though, these are just the first things coming to my mind.

Zardnaar

Legend
Human life cleric 1/druid XYZ with the healer feat.

Use goodberry and unerrataed healing Spirit.

Healer druid from Xanathars or land druid from PHB, whatever one takes your fancy.

Can you still take Short Rests as normal? A Druid3/Warlock X character can cast healing spirit twice per short rest for decent healing, + goodberry and cure wounds as needed. Add the Healer feat and/or Inspiring leader for extra healing/temp HP per short rest.

In that case a warlock should be able to take care of your healing spell needs, either multiclassed with cleric/druid or with the Celestial pact from Xanathars. If Exhaustion is a problem in your campaign then the Celestial might be ideal since at 9th level they can cast Greater Restoration to remove exhaustion, assuming you can find/afford the material components.

As a bonus warlocks can also do decent damage in combat with eldritch blast + agonizing blast.

delph

Explorer
Can you still take Short Rests as normal? A Druid3/Warlock X character can cast healing spirit twice per short rest for decent healing, + goodberry and cure wounds as needed. Add the Healer feat and/or Inspiring leader for extra healing/temp HP per short rest.
In precision - Celestial Warloc and his pool of healing d6s is realy good. And not only healing, it need some buffs like bless, aid, etc..

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I vote life cleric 3 warlock 3 (celestial?)

being able to cast prayer of healing twice per short rest should be enough to fully recover the party many times during the day.

Oh and start variant human with the healer feat :)

build progression = cleric 3 then Warlock 3

I would then continue leveling in cleric.

J-H

Hero
Life Clerics heal better than anyone else, and they heal themselves when they heal others also. Extra mileage from every spell.
The Healer feat allows you to heal everyone every short rest, as mentioned... and Inspiring Leader lets you give everyone 10-12 temporary HP every short rest also. You may just want to max stats instead of doing the feats, though.

I'd be worried about the DM going "Wow, they heal so well. I can bump the challenge up more."

aco175

Legend
I like the life cleric as well for what others said. I would make him a dwarf to get heavy armor. The more HP you save by not being hit, the more healing to can spread to others.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases