D&D General Help Me Build the D&D Game I Want to Run

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I like AiME a lot. My original intent was to try and stick with as much of the 5E core as possible and just tweak to get it where I want it, but it feels less and less possible as I investigate.
I know exactly how you feel. My best friend from childhood who I started with back in the day 40 years ago is also a game designer, so I bounce my rule ideas off of him. He has told me repeatedly I should just design my own game... It is difficult because I wouldn't mind doing it as a job, but on my own it would be overwhelming IMO.

It's hard to articulate but I feel like trying to make 5E feel like 2E/BECM is sort of like bad sci fi TV aliens: you know they are just people in rubber masks. Am I barking up the wrong tree? The 5E DNA is strong, and even with curated player options and house rules it still feels like 5E.
I know exactly what you are saying.

I have made the same attempt... to take 5E and strip it down to a more B/X feel. The issue is the inherent power curve of the game is way too steep and fundamental assumptions of the game are way too different.

It is doable... but I've since given up on this attempt. I reached a point where the effort put into making the game what I want it to be is greater than that which I wish to put into it.

My primary goal of doing this was to create a 5E that can attract players (being it is the current edition) while providing a style of game play that I enjoy. I have thought to present 5E to my players but input enough house rules to make it feel like B/X.

The problems I have are 1. I am kind of presenting 5E as a false pretense... 5E but house ruled to oblivion isn't 5E anymore, and 2. I am failing at getting the game play that I enjoy, anyway.

My planned solution is to let 5E be 5E and run it for my 5E players (maybe keep some of the alternative rest mechanics from the DMG) and then start a B/X or equivalent game as a second game.

One game I have discovered that is really interesting to me is Low Fantasy Gaming. I think the author is a regular poster here. The game is available as a free PDF. It seems, to me, to have a lot of the best 5E style concepts but it is built on a B/X / OSR chassis.

Reynard

Legend
DO you know why that is? What aspects of those levels appeal to you? Maybe that could inform some suggestions.
Competence without super heroism. (I LOVE super hero games, just not in my D&D)
Diversity of potential enemies (i.e. low level monsters are still viable and there's a chance against some of the scarier monsters).
Characters can be "important" without being world shaking.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Competence without super heroism. (I LOVE super hero games, just not in my D&D)
Diversity of potential enemies (i.e. low level monsters are still viable and there's a chance against some of the scarier monsters).
Characters can be "important" without being world shaking.

How much from my post did you try out?

I like your style and the direction you are going. I think I, personally, would enjoy this game.

There is a balance between gritty realism and playability. Making rests take long slows the pace of the game, but had little other effect IMO. Making magic and healing rarer and less effective is a BIG thing.

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but off the top I would suggest:
  1. Make money scarce: I've seen too many games get ruined because of an excessive award of treasure.
  2. Make magic scarcer than money: Magic items should be unique and interesting, providing an edge but not overly powerful.
  3. Have few "adventurers": Most people should be commoners. A village "priest" should be a commoner with religion proficiency, not a 5th-level caster.
  4. Nerf healing: Make it only 1 HD per short rest, max 1/2 HD during a long rest for regaining HP. You gain 1/2 your max HD after your long rest.
  5. Nerf healing more: Cure spells heal d4s instead of d8s, and d4s become 1 point only.
  6. Make going to 0 HP HURT: You gain a level of exhaustion when you reach 0 HP.
  7. Make going to 0 HP REALLY HURT: You cannot regain HP while you have any levels of exhaustion.
  8. Double the XP needed to level. That will also slow down advancement.
  9. Better yet, use milestone leveling and just decide if an "episode" was sufficient to gain a level. You control the pacing.
  10. Make death scary: Remove Revivify.
  11. Become an accountant, and make your players become one, too: Track everything. Rations, water, spell components, grain for animals, everything!

There are more, but that should get you started. ;)

Reynard

Legend
How much from my post did you try out?
Well we only played one session but

1. As 4th level characters they had starting equipment plus 200 gp, which they spent mostly on rations and mounts/beasts of burden.
2. No one started with, could purchase or has found a magic item yet.
3. Not really applicable at this stage but the setting is "adventurer heavy" because I want rivals parties to be a thing.
4. I did healing requires a medicine kit and 8 hour short rests, 72 hour long rests and long rests do not give full hp back, just refresh 1/2 of hit dice.
5. I did not nerf healing spells.
6. The rule is you get a level of exhaustion for failing a death save.
7. I did not do this but it also did not come up.
8. Not relevant as it was a 1 shot.
9. Nope.
10. I removed all resurrection magic, including revivify.
11. I did. Of course counting rations became irrelevant with one party member being an outlander.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well we only played one session but

1. As 4th level characters they had starting equipment plus 200 gp, which they spent mostly on rations and mounts/beasts of burden.
2. No one started with, could purchase or has found a magic item yet.
3. Not really applicable at this stage but the setting is "adventurer heavy" because I want rivals parties to be a thing.
4. I did healing requires a medicine kit and 8 hour short rests, 72 hour long rests and long rests do not give full hp back, just refresh 1/2 of hit dice.
5. I did not nerf healing spells.
6. The rule is you get a level of exhaustion for failing a death save.
7. I did not do this but it also did not come up.
8. Not relevant as it was a 1 shot.
9. Nope.
10. I removed all resurrection magic, including revivify.
11. I did. Of course counting rations became irrelevant with one party member being an outlander.
Ok. I was just curious how or if any of the ideas played out. Thanks for letting me know.

Remove ads