• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Challenge One Of My Players

shilsen said:
Assuming he has W. Focus and a +1 weapon, that's still only +13/8 or +11/11/6 with Rapid Shot. Mildly optimized enemies at this level should have ACs of 25+, so that would take some hitting. And even though I'm sure he has Precise Shot, his allies will often be providing soft cover to enemies, giving them an extra +4 to AC.

Besides the suggestions made by other people, I'll just add that smart enemies who realize the archer is highly effective will look for ways to neutralize him. A spellcaster enemy would have the easiest time, either just messing up his opportunities by using things like Fog/Stinking Cloud, summoning enemies around him, targeting him with damaging or mind-affecting spells, etc. A particularly mean spellcaster, especially if there's a couple of them, could do the always fun targeted Dispel (on the bow) + Shatter combo.

But even non-spellcasters have lots of options. A tanglefoot bag or two, for example, would mess with his day. And a melee attacker who gets to him will absolutely ruin his day with sunder, disarm or grapple.

If I make the AC's of the baddies higher than they are currently it will also make it even more difficult for the other PC's to hit. They are having a tough time of it as it is. Higher AC's will just accentuate the archer PC, which isn't really what I want to do.

The Fog/Stinking Cloud and/or summoning monsters are good suggestions.

His bow is a WoL so the Dispel/Shatter won't work. Thanks anyway.

I'm not sure that a grapple will bother him as much as you think. With basically a fighter BAB he would be reasonably effective in a grapple. He has Strength 13 which isn't anything to write home about but it is still reasonable nevertheless.

Olaf the Stout

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
The enlarged greatsword-wielding Cleric and the spiked-chain wielding Barbarian/Rogue seem to be able to control a lot of the battlefield with their reach. Couple this with multiple AoO and a lot of the mooks don't really seem to have a chance to get past the front line to reach him.

There is also the fact that if anyone does get through he normally gets a couple of arrow shots in before they reach him, dropping their HP's by about 20 on average. This is enough to kill most "mooks" that a 7th-level party may face.

There is also the fact that once they do get past they have to hit an AC that is roughly in the mid-20's. Most of the baddies that have actually attacked him so far in the campaign haven't seemed to be able to do that.

Sounds like he needs to meet a few ogres with a level of barbarian. Let's say a 26 Str, which jumps to 30 when raging. With a masterwork greatsword and W. Focus, that's an attack at +15 to hit, doing 3d6+15/19-20. Assuming an 18 Con, that's 22 when raging, so 4d8+1d12+30 hp or 54.5 hp on average.

Four of those would be a nice EL 8 encounter, and one should be able to reach the archer and make his life interesting. An interesting variation might be three such ogres to keep his melee buddies busy, and one with the Brutal Throw feat (uses Str to hit, instead of Dex). See how much he likes a raging ogre hurling appropriately sized javelins at him :]

shilsen

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
If I make the AC's of the baddies higher than they are currently it will also make it even more difficult for the other PC's to hit. They are having a tough time of it as it is. Higher AC's will just accentuate the archer PC, which isn't really what I want to do.

I see the point, but the barbarian should have a better attack bonus than him. And so should the cleric, with a single spell, and a lot better with time to prep.

shilsen said:
Sounds like he needs to meet a few ogres with a level of barbarian. Let's say a 26 Str, which jumps to 30 when raging. With a masterwork greatsword and W. Focus, that's an attack at +15 to hit, doing 3d6+15/19-20. Assuming an 18 Con, that's 22 when raging, so 4d8+1d12+30 hp or 54.5 hp on average.

Four of those would be a nice EL 8 encounter, and one should be able to reach the archer and make his life interesting. An interesting variation might be three such ogres to keep his melee buddies busy, and one with the Brutal Throw feat (uses Str to hit, instead of Dex). See how much he likes a raging ogre hurling appropriately sized javelins at him :]

I have just ran the party through the Freeport Trilogy which mainly featured indoor dungeon crawls against predominantly medium-sized humanoids. The tight corridors may have made for situations where the archer could dominate. The next couple of adventures that I plan to run are wilderness-based (possibly with ogres! ;) ) so that may make things a little more challenging for the archer.

Olaf the Stout

shilsen said:
I see the point, but the barbarian should have a better attack bonus than him. And so should the cleric, with a single spell, and a lot better with time to prep.

Sorry, I misled you a little there. The "Barbarian" is actually a Barbarian 3/Rogue 4. :heh: :eek:

He just acts like a barbarian might 90% of the time so I often forget to mention that he is actually a multiclassed character.

The "Cleric" is a Cleric 6/Ranger 1.

What spell are you referring to in regards to the Cleric?

Olaf the Stout

shilsen

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
Sorry, I misled you a little there. The "Barbarian" is actually a Barbarian 3/Rogue 4. :heh: :eek:

He just acts like a barbarian might 90% of the time so I often forget to mention that he is actually a multiclassed character.

I've had characters like that too. A druid in the campaign in my sig usually has all of us treat her as a barbarian, purely because of her attitude :)

But even so, a Bbn3/Rog4 has a +6 BAB. Assuming a 16 Str and a +1 weapon (and w/o W. Focus), he's attacking at +12/7 when raging, or +14/9 if he has a Bull's Strength on him. Not too bad at all.

The "Cleric" is a Cleric 6/Ranger 1.

What spell are you referring to in regards to the Cleric?

Ah, then he can't access it yet. I was thinking he was single-classed, in which case he'd have Divine Power. A Clr7 with 14 Str casting Divine Power would be attacking at +13/8 with a +1 weapon.

shilsen said:
Ah, then he can't access it yet. I was thinking he was single-classed, in which case he'd have Divine Power. A Clr7 with 14 Str casting Divine Power would be attacking at +13/8 with a +1 weapon.

I thought that you may have been referring to Divine Power. What other buff-type spells are you talking about in regards to the Cleric? Bull's Strength and Enlarge Person seem to be a common occurrance. What other ones would you expect that he would be using that are 3rd-level or below?

Olaf the Stout

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Olaf the Stout said:
Then use lower ACs and more hit points. This will allow power-attacking melee types to shine, and allow the archer to perform normally - thus equalling things out a bit.

Piratecat said:
Then use lower ACs and more hit points. This will allow power-attacking melee types to shine, and allow the archer to perform normally - thus equalling things out a bit.

Damn you Piratecat. Damn you for making the solution to my problem so simple! :lol: :p :D

Olaf the Stout

K.i.s.s.

*shakes head*

You guys are overthinking, imho, though putting him up against someone with deflect arrows isn't bad. Try this:

Bad Guy 1: Oh no! That archer is cutting us up!

Bad Warlock: I'll shatter his bow!

Bad Guy Who Throws Sharp Things: I'll attack his bowstring!

Bad Spellcaster: Hmm, should I set the bow on fire, shatter it, cut the bowstring, steal the bow...decisions, decisions.

Bad Ninja: *comes out of ghost step behind the archer and stabs him with sleepy poison* Don't bother, he's asleep. Oh look! Anybody want a bow?

You get the idea.

Remove ads