Help me fill a spy's backpack

mneme

Explorer
Theiving weapon? Possibly worth picking up a below level one -- lets you steal in combat as a daily power (when you hit with it, but still).

Deep Pocket Cloak -- sure, uses your neck slot -- but a Bag of Holding and Fast Hands in one handy item!

Look over the consumable and wonderous items -- there are lots of gems there, particularly if you're going with a "bag of gadgets" approach. Nail of sealing, Heartflow, Smokestick for consumables; eternal chalk, Window of Escape (if your GM doesn't disallow it), Floating Lantern, etc.

Crazy_Dragon

First Post
ALL PHB I
items:
Daggers
Hand crossbow
Leather Armor
Climber's kit
Silk rope
Thieves tools (of course)

feats:
Escape Artist
Nimble blade
Quick Draw
Skill focus (Bluff/Thievery)
Sure Climber

Skills
Perception
Insight
Streetwise
Bluff

PHB II
Melee Training (highest attribute)

PHB III
Fast Hands (skill power)

MP
Two Fisted Shooter
'
AV
Sandals of Precise stepping
Gloves of Storing, a must
Gem of Colloquy
Reading Spectacles
Bag of Holding

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know how well changelings can change form but a Hat of Disguise would be useful to a spy.

It doesn't matter- it would be useful to a Changeling as well.

Why?

Because, if it is discovered and then confiscated, the Changeling then "reverts" to a preselected appearance not his own...so when he alters his appearance later, nobody will be expecting it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On the non-magical side:

1. vials of acid
  2. vials of pepper
  3. vials of salt
  4. vials of glue
  5. vials of grease
  6. vials of invisible ink
  7. twine/rope/wire
  8. marbles and/or caltrops
  9. concealments (false bottom boxes & scabbards, hidden pouches in clothing, etc.)

Lord Ernie

First Post
I just want to thank everyone for the comments in this thread :). I've been watching Burn Notice for a while, which inspired me to make a spy-type character. My next character was actually going in the same direction as this one (in fact, I was making him a Changeling Rogue as well), so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are far worse characters to emulate than Michael Weston...and if I were you, I'd try to cop some MacGyver tricks as well.

In addition, I'd check out the DK Eyewitness book on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Eyewitness-Books-Richard-Platt/dp/0756650348/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275984948&sr=1-1"]Spies.[/ame]

Yeah, I know its a kids' book, but it is surprisingly informative. A lot of the info in it showed up in sections of a show on spies I saw on Discovery or some such channel a few months ago. Plus, its full of pictures. If nothing else, you'll get LOTS of inspiration.

Hmm...given that there's a new 2009 edition, maybe I'll track one down for myself.

Jhaelen

First Post
It doesn't matter- it would be useful to a Changeling as well.

Why?

Because, if it is discovered and then confiscated, the Changeling then "reverts" to a preselected appearance not his own...so when he alters his appearance later, nobody will be expecting it.
Ooh, clever! I like that. :)

Remove ads