Level Up (A5E) Help me make a necromancer archetype

I like what's here so far, and although I agree with WarDriveWorley that having some branching options would be cool, I see your point too of those being too many choices.
As a suggestion, I think it could be cool to have some more necromancy spells that specifically bolster the theme of being an actual necromancer. For example, a spell that you cast on a minion, who then runs in the middle of enemies and goes "BOOM" (sacrificing the minion), or a rare version of wall of fire spell that makes cold/necrotic damage and is made of a ghoulish green flame with lots of grasping hands (anyone passing through can be grappled). These kind of things maybe.
A variation on corpse explosion would fit that well.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Also, this is a lot of fun. I’m half thinking collectively built archetypes should be a semi-regular event on this forum, even if they aren’t official (although they’d be a lot of fun if they were).
I would love this.

I think that could be fun. This one is definitely official.
This archetype very much pleases me. Here are my thoughts.

Touch of Death
I wasn't able to comment earlier, but I like how this feature has evolved throughout the day. Most wizards never want to be close enough to combat to use this feature, but that doesn't change the fact that it's fun and flavorful. Makes me feel like I've already begun the process of turning into a lich at level 2. The addition of using Intelligence instead of Strength was also a very good move. (And makes me want an adept archetype that lets you use Intelligence for your unarmed strikes. Might be a fun synergy feat chain.)

Speak with Dead
Fun! If I were playing an evil character, I would literally use this to kill first and ask questions later.
I really appreciate the upgrade at 10th level that lets you use it a little more often. I wish more one-off features did something like this, or just started PROF/rest.

Create Minion
FETCHING YES, a necromancer that can finally NECROMANCE before 5th level! I love it.
My one question: is the once per long rest limitation necessary? It takes an hour to create a minion, so you won't be popping minions up at-will during combat to take hits for the party. Just leave the limitation of one minion at a time. IMO, that would keep it pretty comparable to the Beastmaster and the Stitcher, who both get minions with temporary HP that refreshes every time you roll initiative.

Necrotic Mastery/Army of Darkness
I'm going to push back against earlier opinions. I think Army of Darkness should be granted first. I don't have any particular balancing reasons for it, but more rule of cool. When I'm playing a necromancer, I want my undead army before I want to make all my spells do necrotic damage/be resistant to necrotic damage. Both are cool and fun, but I know what I took this archetype for, and the more levels that I get to capitalize on that the better.

Command Undead
I love it. Time to burn up Strahd's Legendary Resistances and use Flash of Insight or Glance the Future to make him fail this save just so I can embarrass him.
Maybe if an undead creature has a really low CR (1, maybe 2) it doesn't make a save each turn?

Spell Lists
Resurrection and True Resurrection as wizard spells! Not only is this fun, but it would be hilarious to play a wizard that kind of flaunts this magic to the cleric. Not only do I have the audacity to flaunt the will of the gods through undeath... I also do it through restoring true life, too! Ha ha ha!

xiphumor

Legend
Loophole to close: The Wight’s Life Drain ability allows you to create additional zombies. Couldn’t you create a Wight minion that then subsequently raises an unlimited undead army?

In fact, if we go forward with this draft, we should check all of the statblocks for weird interactions.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
An undead army that would subsequently try to murder you since they aren’t under your control (unless they are under the wight’s control, in which case you COULD command them by commanding the wight… but I don’t think that’s the case).

xiphumor

Legend
An undead army that would subsequently try to murder you since they aren’t under your control (unless they are under the wight’s control, in which case you COULD command them by commanding the wight… but I don’t think that’s the case).
From the Wight’s statblock:
Life Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) necrotic damage, and the target makes a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes a level of strife and its hit points maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage dealt. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. A humanoid or beast reduced to 0 hit points by this attack dies. Its corpse rises 24 hours later as a zombie under the wight’s control.

Remove ads