D&D 5E Help me make item shops for my Eberron players

Bolares

Hero
So, I'm introducing some friends to Eberron. They just finished their first Story Arch and are comming back to Sharn with a reasonable amount of money. Before they left for the mission I had ruled that in the city they could find any common or uncommon magic item in the DMG with relative ease, and would had to look for anything rarer than that. But that gave them analysis paralysis and they ended up just going for basic stuff that one of them sugested. I'd like to create some magic item shops with common and uncommom itens (and maybe some rare ones that they can work for the money to get). So, my question is, has anyone done something similar in Eberron? How do you choose the itens you offer? How do you price them?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The City of Sharn sourcebook lists quite a number of magic shops in the city and what kinds of objects they sell. When I was running my game there, I didn't bother making lists and prices for all the objects available... instead, whether or not had a particular item was usually due to a die roll after a player said "I'm looking for X." Common magic items usually were easy to find, the more uncommon the less likely something was available. But at the same time, items requested by the players that I thought they either had earned the right to have, or that I thought would add a lot of fun and flavor to the story had higher chances to be available.

They would tell me what they were looking for, and then we'd run a short shopping excursion story for them to find the requisite shop, then speak and negotiate with the shop owner for said item. As far as pricing... I pretty much made numbers up, and because I had added the 'Commerce' skill to the skill list the players could haggle prices as necessary.

Because I am a DM who is mainly only concerned with story and not the board game... I have no need for "established" price lists for items that count across the entire spectrum of every campaign I run, and do not worry about "game balance" making sure everyone is on par with who they each are and what their level is and what encounters they are intended to fight. I give out or let them buy treasure the players really want. Because in my games in particular... the stories that come out of players having these items and what they do with them moving forward are what we look for, rather than the stories of all the effort just to acquire them. I stopped caring about "adventuring for treasure" as a primary motivating factor in playing the game decades ago.

Bolares

Hero
instead, whether or not had a particular item was usually due to a die roll after a player said "I'm looking for X."
I'd do this, but my players don't have much access/knowlegde to magic items because they are new to the game and my books are in English (We speak portuguese)..

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Then I think the easiest way to run it would be that potions and scrolls for spells of 3rd level or less can be pretty easily picked up. You tell the players that if there was a spell effect from 1st to 3rd level that they wanted in potion or scroll form, they can pretty much find or one more of them within Sharn somewhere. Then, using the 1st level Cure Wounds spell potion Potion of Healing that costs 50 gp as baseline... you can extrapolate higher prices from them. I usually go like 50 gp for most 1st levels, 125 gp or so for 2nd levels, 250 gp for 3rd levels (give or take extra gp based on the frequency it would be useful and whether it was for combat or not.)

For other items... usually I'd start with a couple thousand gp here or there depending on the item, prices raising up based on the spells that the items are replicating (higher spell levels or multiple spells at once get exponentially more expensive.) Whether or not a magic item essentially "replaces" the abilities of another character in the party also drives the price up if its being bought by someone else besides the person whose abilities are being replaced (unless that players says something like "No, if you can buy that pass without trace wand so that I don't have to have it prepared all the time, please do!"

aco175

Legend
You can always add customization to items and little magic that does not really affect play. Add air conditioning to armor or have an electric blanket like items. Armor that does not rust or weapons that do not need to be sharpened. Bedroll that lets you sleep in armor or invisible umbrellas. Small things that let the PCs be cool but not really affect much.

Also ask the players what they think.

So, I'm introducing some friends to Eberron.

Lucky them!

They just finished their first Story Arch and are comming back to Sharn with a reasonable amount of money. Before they left for the mission I had ruled that in the city they could find any common or uncommon magic item in the DMG with relative ease, and would had to look for anything rarer than that. But that gave them analysis paralysis and they ended up just going for basic stuff that one of them sugested. I'd like to create some magic item shops with common and uncommom itens (and maybe some rare ones that they can work for the money to get). So, my question is, has anyone done something similar in Eberron? How do you choose the itens you offer? How do you price them?

I know many people dislike magic shop because they imagine that even in a magic-rich setting they don't like the "And do you want +1 fries with that?" vibe. However, in pre-industrial era, such kind of shop didn't exist even for regular items -- ready-to-wear clothes, for example, became widespread only at the beginning of the 20th century. Before, everything was bespoke. In an early industrial settings like Eberron, I'd keep that feeling: you don't go to the magic shop, you deal with the dragonmarked houses. When you visit the corresponding enclave, you can get an appointment with a master artisan that will make your bespoke item. If you want, magical properties can be added, for a cost.

You want to give ideas to your players instead of having them looking at a list? Roleplay the interaction with a dragonmarked heir overseeing special requests. Have them shop depending on what type of item they'd want... Most things will be produced by Cannith, but point out that healing items are commissionned at a Jorasco enclave. If they go there, describe the regular potions that are effectively mass produced (the lowliest healing potion, and "flavor potion" like an anti-hangover potion or a special potion for older men's need that would be assured to sell well... and mention that whatever they want can be achieved... for a cost. As part of the roleplay, you can start from a basic idea expressed by the players and work with them. They'll have pretty basic idea you said, "so you want a magical sword... OK, for course we can do that... but magical how? Would you interested into a sword sheathed in flames? Very flashy and effective, but maybe you'd want something more functional (+1)? Can I interest you into a light warning when ennemies are near? It's very useful when in the wilderness..." Throw them a few suggestions and they'll probably describe something by themselves. They'll get more attached to their magic items if they are really their own (the player's, not only the PC's). They might even want to have them reinchanted later, when they will have more money, instead of just ditching it.

In Sharn, I'd make every common and uncommon equivalent items available, and "flavour options" for free. Remember that Eberron has widespread magic but not powerful magic: you could find rare items to buy because it's Sharn, but have them roleplay it differently... The analogy I'd made is no longer a tailor but an auction house. "You want to fly? Well, there is an Aereni wings of flying that will be auctionned later this month in Skyway... But expect a few noblemen to try to acquire it as well..." Rarer magic item should belong in museums (or being actively studied by the dragonmarked house to find how to replicate them).

Bolares

Hero
In Sharn, I'd make every common and uncommon equivalent items available, and "flavour options" for free.
That's what I did at first, but that only gave them too many options to choose. They are not very experienced players, with rudimentary knowledge in English, so just going, "Choose any item in the common or uncommon list" didnt help them much hahahah.

When I say "magic item shop" I'm using it just as a short hand for people to understand what I want, I'm probably gonna describe it as you said. auctions as displays in relevant palces where these itens can be found as part of collections...

Remove ads