D&D 5E Help Me Name This New Cantrip

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
TL;DR: I wrote a new cantrip, and it needs a name.

I'm running a high-magic campaign for 5th Edition D&D. In the next adventure, the party will be helping a yuan-ti pureblood cleanse her temple from (long story). She's a priestess of Wee Jas, so not exactly "good" and certainly not "benevolent." Anyway, there are many possible quest rewards, depending on what the party can accomplish, and one of them is that she will teach them a cantrip.

So that's the backstory. I need a good name for the cantrip below. Remember that this cantrip is going to be taught by a yuan-ti cleric of Wee Jas, so the name should at least reflect that somehow.

(Cantrip Name Goes Here)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You recover one spell slot of 5th level or lower. You then gain 1 level of exhaustion for each level of that spell slot. If this would cause you to have 6 or more levels of exhaustion, the cantrip fails.

Yeah. It's not an awesome cantrip, but it's exactly the sort of back-handed "reward" I would expect from a yuan-ti cleric of Wee Jas. I don't expect my players to be using this cantrip on a daily basis, but I can see it being a very powerful "Hail Mary" in a boss battle, or used in an act of desperation. And like I said earlier, it's not the only reward in this quest, or even the best reward.

Any ideas on what this cantrip could be called?

Last edited:

Baneful Recovery sounds like a twisted version of Arcane Recovery. Instead of getting back spell slots by studying your spellbook, you are getting them back by expending some of your own life energy. The expenditure is represented by the level of exhaustion the caster receives from using this spell. This cantrip sounds like it belongs in the School of Necromancy.

Yeah. It's not an awesome cantrip,
Uhhh... honestly, its a pretty powerful one imho. Getting back a battle-changing spell slot in a pinch is usually pretty strong, especially if its right before a boss fight.

Anyways! I'd go with Life to Mana or maybe Blood to Mana. Given Wee Jas' slight necromancy bend, coupled with the idea of making a sacrifice to generate the ability, makes me feel like this should go all in on the idea of sacrificing your blood for power.

Remove ads