D&D 5E Help Me Name This New Cantrip

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Uhhh... honestly, its a pretty powerful one imho. Getting back a battle-changing spell slot in a pinch is usually pretty strong, especially if its right before a boss fight.
Normally I'd agree with you, but...well, here's a meme that sums up my players' attitudes on the subject.

1717696030042.png

To be fair, it's easier to bring someone back from the dead than make them less tired. Actually, since being raised reduces your exhaustion level by 1, its more efficient to kill the person and Revivify than cast Greater Restoration.

The official rules are so mind bogglingly stupid.

Quartz

Hero
So that's the backstory. I need a good name for the cantrip below. Remember that this cantrip is going to be taught by a yuan-ti cleric of Wee Jas, so the name should at least reflect that somehow.

That's far too powerful for a cantrip. There's a 5+th level spell in a prior version called - IIRC - Mordenkainen's Lucubration.

It's also unsuited to be a cantrip: cantrips are those spells you cast over and over; this one is going to be cast vanishingly rarely. You might want to make this a Channel Divinity power instead and remove or lessen the drawback.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
That's far too powerful for a cantrip.
It's also unsuited to be a cantrip: cantrips are those spells you cast over and over; this one is going to be cast vanishingly rarely.
Eh, it'll be fine. It's not like I'm publishing it or anything.

You might want to make this a Channel Divinity power instead and remove or lessen the drawback.
That would have been my first choice as well, but we don't have a cleric or paladin in the party...Channel Divinity isn't a viable option, and the party's other resource pools (Maneuvers, Ki Points, Infusions, and Wild Shape) don't make a lot of sense. So I'm running with cantrip.

(I appreciate the feedback, though. This cantrip is carefully crafted for a specific campaign and gaming group--mileage will definitely vary.)

mellored

Legend
Seems like this should scale.

You recover one spell slot of 1th level or lower. You then gain 1 level of exhaustion for each level of that spell slot. If this would cause you to have 6 or more levels of exhaustion, the cantrip fails.
At level 5, the maximum level becomes 2
At level 11, the maximum level become 4.
At level 17, the maximum level becomes 5.

Also going to throw out a Blood for Power as a name, and have "you cut your hand, and spill a little blood on the ground as a sacrifice".

Remove ads