Help me plan my SW marathon

Like a good Star Wars geek, I'll be picking up my copy of the RotS DVD this coming Tuesday, just as soon as I knock off work. I'd get it sooner if it weren't for my dang job. But I need the work to support my Star Wars habit! It's a vicious cycle, I know.

Anyway, Wednesday I start my 11 day vacation from work, and I've blocked off that first day for the Amazing Collossal Star Wars Marathon - all 6 DVDs in one day. My question to you all: what should be the order to watch in? I sorta think watching them from Episodes 1 - 6 (numerically/chronologically) would be a little jarring, as you go from the clean CGI of the prequels to the griminess of the OT. Watching the OT and following it with the prequels (4 - 5 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 3) seems unsatisfying, as you go through the whole prequels waiting for him to become Darth and already knowing how the story's going to end. So right now I'm thinking:

1: A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Phantom Menace
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi

That way the big revelation of Empire segues into Anakin's story for a few hours, and we come out of his fall from grace and get to see his redemption. I kinda like that.

What will be the order you'll watch them in, and do you think there's any improvements I can make to this one?

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
When I start my marathon on Wednesday, I'll be watching them in order. Yeah, the transition of visuals between the Prequels and the OT will be a little jarring, but I put it down to this: In the Prequels, things were still shiny-happy for the most part, as the Republic was just beginning it's downward spiral. I think that the segue between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope won't be too jarring, as the end of the former shows the darkness of the rise of the Empire and the latter shows what life was like under the Empire during it's heyday. The Prequels document the decline of the Old Republic and the fall of Anakin Skywalker, and the Original Trilogy documents the consequences of the OR's fall and Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader.

Now, we must talk of the snacks we will consume in mass quantities... :]

Chico's Pizza - Medium Larry's Special (Itallian Sausage, Pepperoni, Canadian Bacon, Hamburger). For lunch.
Subway for dinner, to balance out the pizza.
Or something like that.

I'm doing it in order. From Phantom Menance to Return of the Jedi...with some Clone Wars in there where it needs to be.

Been waiting to actually be able to watch them all in order, finally.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I'm doing it in order. From Phantom Menance to Return of the Jedi...with some Clone Wars in there where it needs to be.

Been waiting to actually be able to watch them all in order, finally.
Ditto. Can't wait to get my hands on RotS.

John Crichton

First Post
One day, I will watch them in order of release. But for the first watch-through it will have to be I-VI. To see the real begginning and the real end.

I don't think the transition from III-IV will be that jarring, if at all. I want to see if all the tinkering Lucas has done makes it work at a whole. I have the OT on DVD and I can watch it that way, too - if I want to down the line for a comparison. I could see putting the Clone Wars cartoons in there, but that would add 2 hours to an already long day and would certainly be very visually jarring.

So, the short answer is just watch them straight through the first time and mix it up some other time. :)

Taelorn76

First Post
My vote would be the prequels followed by the OT. Thats how I'll do it.

Now for snacks
Boneless wings and some nice Sam Adams Octoberfest. :D

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Shoot, I was planning to post the same question, except with a more provocative title, like "What is the CORRECT order to watch Star Wars?"

I was actually thinking about what order to introduce them to somone (e.g., my kids) who hasn't seen them before. The big problem I see with watching them numerically is that, since you know Luke is Anakin's son, the impact of Vaders revelation to Luke at the end of V is lost or significantly reduced. On the other hand, if you watch in release order, then, as you said, you already know how the whole thing ends.

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
1: A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Phantom Menace
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi
This is exactly what I came up with as well for the best order. It has the problem of loosing track of Luke and Hans after 3 movies, but overall I think it would work well.

RedShirt

Dark Jezter

First Post
I plan on watching them in chronological order: Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Clone Wars (entire series), Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

Remove ads