Help me realize a character (Malgrim Hellhammer)

Wolfspider

Explorer
I have an idea in my mind of a character, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about creating him as far as base classes and especially prestige class goes.

He's a dwarf (as if you couldn't tell that from the name), a fighter definitely (as I imagine him clad in armor and weilding his signature warhammer), but he's also an arcanist. His backstory includes his banishment due to practicing forbidden (and mostly forgotten lore). Wizard would work here, but after I got the current Dragon, I started thinking maybe Sorcerer, giving him the Fire Bloodline feat and saying that he has the blood of an azer in him. I dunno.

In any case, he loves fire for it's ability to create and destroy, and because his own soul is fueld by passion and ambition that burns him constantly. He's fascinated by technology as well as a tool to make his dreams real. His familiar is a construct dog named Lockjaw.

I'm just not sure what kind of prestige class he should aspire to. Spellsword/spellhammer works well, but isn't quite what I have in mind (although it would allow armored casting of spells). Eldritch Knight would make him a formidable fighter/wizard, but lacks a bit of flavor. I wonder if there are any prestige classes out there that fit him better. Maybe some kind of artificer? I dunno. Hopefully there's something out there in a d20 book. ;)

Anyway, your suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hmmm. A PrC for a fighter/fire-caster? I'm not sure that niche has been fully explored. But why aspire to a PrC? It sounds like your character is pretty unique as it is.

In the intrest of power-gaming, I'd take a look at whatever PrC you can find that will offset casting in armor penalties. Those are nasty.

Wolfspider

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
Hmmm. A PrC for a fighter/fire-caster? I'm not sure that niche has been fully explored. But why aspire to a PrC? It sounds like your character is pretty unique as it is.

In the intrest of power-gaming, I'd take a look at whatever PrC you can find that will offset casting in armor penalties. Those are nasty.

Yes, they are.

I guess he doesn't HAVE to wear armor, but I just think it would be cool. ;) I guess I could just take Still Spell and be done with it, but I'd like to explore my options.

Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming....

cptg1481

First Post
How about this...

My view as GM on multiclassing is this....when one multiclasses he is in effect creating by his chioce of classes a unique PrC. It seems to me that this is the case here.

I mean how receptive is your GM to say something like a feat chain for armored casting?

I don't know if there are any feats out there but just off the top of my head I'd say that the 1st one could be:

Armored Casting: Prerequistes; multiclass fighter/arcane spellcaster with a BAB +3; INT13/CHA13 (based upon class) and DEX 13. Along with combat casting. So here it is you have to be at least fighter 2/Spellcaster1 or fighter1/spellcaster3 for this to be availiable. The above average DEX is to master the arcane movements in combination with the high INT/CHA to master the extra arcane effort required.

As for the benifits; for the one above it'd be able to cast spells in medium armor with a 10% reduction in spell failure.

The rest of the chain would grant a 10% reduction each time with the second one granting casting in heavy armor.

Call them Improoved and Greater Armored Casting. Max them out at -30% spell failure chance which would allow someone to cast in full plate at a 5% spell failure chance at around 8-10 level.

I'd say this wou ld be fine with me as GM but then again I love seeing my players have exactly the character consept they envisioned.

Any questions I'll be willing help if you want the rest of the feat chain to present to your GM.

Hope this helps,
CPTG

Last edited:

Remove ads