• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me spend my money...

Pants

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Personally, if I didn't already own it, I'd buy Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous- its my favorite 3rd party publisher product. I know its not on your list, but even if you don't want to use the pantheons it supplies, it contains an appendix that is devoted to creating holy warriors other than Paladins...and can even be used to recreate the Paladin if, for some reason, you didn't have that class in your PHB. Its very well done. However, I understand that there will be a revised version of it coming out soon-ish.
I've looked through the Book of the Righteous, but it's subject matter just did not interest me. The Holy Warrior would have been better if they didn't rely on the flawed Paladin design to build the class.

Here's the breakdown so far:
DMG II - 4
Advanced Bestiary - 2
Denizens of Avadnu - 1
Book of Roguish Luck - 1

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
Another vote for AB. Even with the over abundance of dread undead templates, it still has a huge selection to assist, annoy, harass and kill your players' PCs. I would have voted for Silverthorne's Book of Templates, but that wasn't on your list and anyways the print form is a few months away (via Goodman).

haiiro

First Post
AB is fantastic, and likely to be useful no matter what kind of game you run. On top of the templates, 100 templated monsters are included -- so it's also a MM.

The DMGII is very good, but may or may not be your cup of tea depending on what you're after. I'm very happy with it, though.

I don't have the other two. ;)

Pinotage

Explorer
As a fellow lover of Templates, I'd recommend Advanced Bestiary. I don't own DMG II, so I can't comment on that. You may want to look at Template Troves I and II from Silverthorne Games.

Pinotage

Of the books listed, I would go with the DMG II, which I own. BUT, if you are looking for that sort of product, I recommend even more Green Ronin's Advanced GMs Guide. I found the stuff in it even more useful than the items already mentioned in DMGII, especially the power level rules for a campaign (mine is basically set at a +1 level adjustment, i.e. +1 races are considered +0, and +0 races are buffed a bit; The AGG helped me balance the races a bit better) and the backgrounds. As already stated, the DMGII is meant for the journeyman GM, someone who has been gaming a while but still has some basic questions. The AGG is for the more experienced GM, and offers more advice in balancing crunch and the like, with only a few nods towards the interconnection of the campaign fluff. I must say though that I have been slightly disappointed in the Book of Roguish Luck, especially when compared to other books in the series and the Complete Adventurer. But "ok" Malhavoc is still better than most of the rest of the published third party material.

skippy
The GM of The Cursed Earth Campaign

diaglo

Adventurer
from that list the DMG II. but if you've got some gaming experience it won't help you.

it is what the Complete Idiot's Guide to d02 Roleplaying should've been more like.

Remove ads