Help me spend my money...

Pants

First Post
I recently came into a nice wad of cash for my birthday and I need a book to spend some of it on. Problem? There's so many books that I want to get, but not enough money to get them all (I'm saving up cash for some future purchases) so I want to get one book and one book only. There's nothing I really need, just so you all know :)

I've narrowed down my purchasing decision to a few books:
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Book of Roguish Luck
Advanced Bestiary
Denizens of Avadnu

I can always use more monsters and I really like Templates. The base classes and the Gambling rules in Book of Roguish Luck may see some use (especially those gambling rules, damn, dirty PC's...). The DMGII looks pretty solid all around (especially those rules for running a business, damn, dirty PC's... ;) ).

So help me spend my money :)

Crothian

First Post
Denizens of Avadnu

I've read all 4 of the books, reviewed three of them even; and this one stands out the most. You really can't go wrong and frankly, I'd get all 4 eventually if I were you.

fafhrd

First Post
Since you're looking at getting a single book, I think DMGII is your best bet. It has the mob and weapon templates(nothing on the order of advanced bestiary but we're looking at a spread here), guild and apprentice rules(always handy for rogues), statted NPCs(some of which are quite buff, scratch Denizens of Avadnu), and as you mentioned "how to run a business" rules, and a scads of other nifty ideas, like magical events and item bonding. The choice is clear! Well okay, maybe not, but there's my rationale for the lone book buyer..

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
As a fellow lover of templates, I cannot reccomend any book higher then the Advanced Bestiary. The templates offered are intelligent, creative and a hell of a lot of fun to use. In fact, I like the templates in Advanced Bestiary so much that I used a number of them in my forthcoming "Blackdyrge's Bestiary II: Perils of the Burning Waste".

So, yeah, my vote is for the Advanced Bestiary. :)

Oh, and the Book of Templates from Silverthrone Games is also a winner.

Blackdirge

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wasn't impressed by DMG 2- it seemed redundant for anyone whose been DM-ing for 10+years. Less than that, though, it looked pretty good and well thought out.

Personally, if I didn't already own it, I'd buy Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous- its my favorite 3rd party publisher product. I know its not on your list, but even if you don't want to use the pantheons it supplies, it contains an appendix that is devoted to creating holy warriors other than Paladins...and can even be used to recreate the Paladin if, for some reason, you didn't have that class in your PHB. Its very well done. However, I understand that there will be a revised version of it coming out soon-ish.

Remove ads