D&D 5E Help me w/the next Feat for my rogue/fighter...

Mallus

Legend
The character: a ROG1/FTR1 would-be acrobatic warrior in a desert setting. He's strong, fast, fights with a guisarme, has the Feats Improved Init, Improved Trip, and Combat Expertise. So far, he's been really Trip-happy.

My next level will be FTR, so I'm getting 2 Feats. The first is easy, Combat Reflexes, but I'm having trouble picking the second. Do I take...

1) Power Attack? [that 2X damage when using a 2-H weapon is nice, especially for the follow-up attack against a prone target on a successful Trip]

2) Improved Disarm? [Who wants to be a flashy acrobatic fighter and use the same tactic again and again? And... Disarm can't be countered, in cases where I have to drop the Trip weapon, I can snatch weapons or sundries from an opponent, and using it against a Tripped oppoenent is downright humiliating]

3) Weapon Focus [dull, but leads to Specialization, and higher damage is always nice].

4) Improved Unarmed Strike [the longshot... Eventually, I'm going to have to drop my guisarme over a lost opposed roll. IUS would mean I Threaten w/me bare hands. Seems nice, but maybe for later...]

Suggestions?

Voadam

Legend
I like IUS. doing sneak attack damage with your hands is nice even if it is subdual. I forget if you can kick with IUS so that you can threaten around you even if holding your reach weapon or if that is just monks.

kreynolds

First Post
Mallus said:
My next level will be FTR, so I'm getting 2 Feats. The first is easy, Combat Reflexes

I'm not sure whether or not you qualify for Improved Combat Reflexes, but if you do, get it! Here's the prereqs: Combat Reflexes, Dex 13, base attack bonus +6. Basically, you get two attacks of opportunity per opportunity. The second attack is at -5, just like taking a full attack action. The second attack also counts against your number of AoOs per round, but damn, that's nice!

By the way, you can find it in issue 100 of Dungeon.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Combat Reflexes and Weapon Focus: Guisarm.

Kreynold's suggestion of Improved Combat Reflexes is nice but you won't have the BAB 'till at least 7th level.

The idea of IUS is creative but you could get the same benfit by buying a set of spiked gauntlets or armor spikes (or better if you get masterwork spiked gauntlets/armor spikes).

Power Attack is a very good feat however, you will only have a BAB of +2 and without weapon focus, you won't have a lot of attack bonus left after power attacking (unless you have an incredible strength).

Quickdraw would be another decent choice--good for pulling a weapon out of your golf bag when you run into the 3.5 designer DR. It's also good if you want to switch to a one-handed weapon (maybe light flail if you want to still be able to trip at peak efficiency) and shield when the enemy closes. (If you have a quiver of Ehlonna, it's also a good way to finish off a full attack at later levels--if your first or second attack drops the enemy you're fighting you can quickdraw javalin and throw it with your remaining attacks).

Spatula

Explorer
I would go for Improved Disarm, Weapon Focus, or Quick Draw (a better alternative than IUS). Weapon Focus is only necessary if you plan on reaching Fighter 4 before your 6th character level.

Felix

Explorer
What spatula said, although I would leave Improved Disarm alone; I favor tripping to disarming, and besides:

You have reach with your guisarme, so unless whomever you are disarming also has reach, they won't get an AoO.

As well, your weapon is two-handed, so they will have an advantage over you in your opposed attack roll if the creature you are disarming is both Large, and wielding a two-handed weapon.

This is all without the Feat. Go for something else. Like Quickdraw, or Weapon Focus (which will help will opposed attack rolls as well!).

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Combat Reflexes and Improved Feint. You'll only be getting one attack per round anyway at low level. Might as well use that extra move action while in combat to Feint and give you that sneak attack as well. Plus it works great with the whole dextrous, acrobatic fighter type. Ducking weaving, jabbing, and stabbing with spins and such. Easy to imagine feints thrown in there to remove opponent's dex to AC making them easier to hit AND doing more damage. Can't beat that.

Remove ads