• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my Multiclass!! Gloomstalker/Assassin/Battle Master

FunkenGruven

First Post
Hi all..

Any help and feedback would be must appreciated. So far the numbers I came up for the build I want to do is: Ranger(Gloomstalker)4/Rogue(Assassin)5/Fighter(Battle Master)11.

What I need help with mostly is: What would be the best starting class of the three? And the optimal leveling progression up through level 20?

I assume getting both Gloomstalker and Assassin up as early as possible to maximize damage on the opening round, but I'd like to hear what others think.

BTW this will be a melee TWF build.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CTurbo

Explorer
Are you starting at level 1? Point buy? I'd consider dropping Fighter and just going Gloom Stalker 5/Rogue 15. Adding a 3rd class just makes it take forever until all of your big features come on line.

But if you want to add Fighter to the mix, that could work too. I don't like planning for 20 levels though. Most campaigns never get anywhere near there and it takes a really long time for the ones that do.

I'd start Ranger 4 to get Gloom Stalker online, then Rogue for 5 levels straight. Then take Fighter from there until the end. I would go Champion though for the extra crits, second fighter style, and Remarkable Athlete. Battle Master is really good though. Crits turn your 3d6 sneak damage into 6d6.

Take TWF at Ranger 2, Archery at Fighter 1, and Defense at Fighter 10.

Start Wood Elf 10 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 12 Cha. Bump Dex at Ranger 4, and Rogue 4 to max it. You can start with Medium armor and eventually switch over to Light armor.

Fighter 4, 6, and 8 you take Alert, Sharpshooter, and Dual Wielder in any order. You'll be a serious double threat in melee AND at range. Fighter 11's 3rd attack would be your capstone ability.

Your AC would be Studder Leather 12 + 5 Dex + 1 Dual Wielder + 1 Defensive Style = 19

Alternatively, you could start Variant Human and start with Alert or Dual Wielder at level 1. I like the Wood Elf's better Darkvision and extra speed though. Variant Human does give you an extra feat though for something else fun like Lucky, Mobile, or even Magic Initiate although it would probably be the last one selected at level 17.

You could start Fighter 5 to get the second attack faster, then Ranger 4, Then Rogue 5, then finish out Fighter. That's a LONG time before you get your Rogue goodies though. Like I said before, when you tri-multi class, it takes forever for you to get all of your benefits.

Of course you COULD go Ranger 3, Rogue 3, Fighter 5, but then it's level 10 before you get your first feat/ASI and still level 11 before you get your second attack.

I'd stick with Ranger 4, Rogue 5, Fighter 11 in that order.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Why don't you tell us about the character you want this to be & we'll see what class seems to be the best fit to start with.

Also, if you know anything about the game you'll be using it in.

Dausuul

Legend
I'd start rogue for the proficiencies; while this is obviously a combat-oriented build, you might as well grab the skills too.

I don't think 11 levels of fighter is the best plan, though. Yes, it may be the most deadly build at level 20, but the price is that your opening round death combo doesn't fully come online till level 12 at the earliest (rogue 3, ranger 4, fighter 5). Past level 10, each level is a coin toss that the campaign ends. Level 20 is a myth, you'll never see it.

I'd go rogue 1, ranger 5, rogue +2, and finally fighter 2. You're only one level behind a normal ranger in the early levels. At 8th, you can stack Assassination and whatever that gloom stalker trick is called. At 10, you get all that plus Action Surge, for a surprise round to make the gods tremble.

After that, rogue the rest of the way. Or fighter if you really want. Not ranger, you already got what you needed from that class.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
(If you're dead set on that fighter 11... then rogue 1, fighter 5, rogue +2, ranger 4. You do *not* want to delay Extra Attack more than 1 level as a martial character.)

guachi

Hero
My response is pick two of those three classes. If you pick Battlemaster AND Gloomstalker I'd only take one of them past level 5.

Second point would be that most campaigns don't get past level 12 or so. There's little point planning a PC to level 20.

If you choose Gloomstalker/Assassin the differences in which class you choose first is minor. You get light armor, medium armor, simple weapons, and martial weapons no matter what. Choosing Assassin first gives you thieves tools + four skills + one from Ranger. Choosing Gloomstalker first gives you three skills + one skill from Rogue + thieves tools. So you get one more skill from Rogue. On the other hand, Ranger first will net you one more HP. Saves are Dex for both and either Str (Ranger) or Int (Rogue).

Personally, I'd rather have the extra skill.

However, whichever class you choose first I'd highly recommend going to level five in the first class with no multiclassing. This means that if you don't intend to go to level five in a particular class, don't pick that class to be your first.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
I agree with those that suggest narrowing it down to 2 classes if you can. The big question is how do you see yourself playing this character.

This is similar to a character I was looking at creating. For me, the Gloomstalker ability was the primary draw, followed by having a feat/ASI and extra attack. So 5 levels of Ranger right off the bat. Already I have my alpha strike and set up to be the scout/sneak (Thieve's tools from Urban Bounty Hunter). Now I already have the base character I want to play, it is time to add "icing". Assassin does work very well with Gloomstalker so three levels there. At 8th level I am happy as I have my original goal fully realized (good thing too, since 8-10 are my favorite levels). Now I can build on those two classes depending what seems better for the campaign (extra save vs. more sneak attack). Could add Fighter for battlemaster maneuvers, but that is essentially saying the low level abilities are my feats.

Remove ads