• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Name My Weapon

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I just got this sweet item in a game I'm playing in:

Songbow of Vanishment +2
Weapon: Superior Crossbow
Enhancement: +2 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
< snip >

I doubt that I can find out the item's original name. Sparsely populated world, found in a rathole of an armory.

Now, normally my character would just call it "Face-Shooter" and be done with it. But, I want to give it a wicked name. And a name appropriate for my character.

To give you an idea of my character. His name's Devil's Due - a tiefling bard who uses a crossbow. I interpret his Bard powers as not being music related*, but Personality related - dirty looks, glowers, inspiration, and well-aimed shots. His "motivation" is that he has a list of Men Who Need Killin' - rapists, slavers, and other people who harm the innocent and defenseless who deserve to be tracked down and made dead.

How about "Mourning Due" -- because of the kind of outcomes he intends.

darjr

I crit!
Little Dog Two.

As in "The Devil's Due and his Little Dog Two!"

Maybe, somehow, it's one of those nasty little ugly dogs with an evil stare and a nasty snarling bite that takes all focus off of you.

Rechan

Adventurer
How about "Mourning Due" -- because of the kind of outcomes he intends.
Teeempting. Although I think the people he plans on shooting won't be mourned.

But it has a nice ring to it. Partially because DD isn't all that talkative (even for a Bard). I went with the gravelly "as few words as possible" type of cowboy. Although he does play a harmonica on a rare occasion.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Devil's Barb

Barbed Tongue

Antiphon ("a verse or song to be chanted or sung in response"-Dictionary.com)

Thaumaturge.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: possibly calling a +2 Crossbow "Mourning Due":
Teeempting. Although I think the people he plans on shooting won't be mourned.

But it has a nice ring to it. Partially because DD isn't all that talkative (even for a Bard). I went with the gravelly "as few words as possible" type of cowboy. Although he does play a harmonica on a rare occasion.
Thanks. As an added "temptation," your character might find himself calling the crossbow bolts "Do-Drops" on the theory that he expects his targets to Drop when hit by them; and all he would have to say would be, "Have another Do-Drop."
(I'm not trying to be especially difficult, here; the situation simply struck me as funny.)

Remove ads