D&D 5E Help playtest my fantasy stat draft!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sure, but if we're talking from the perspective of hardcore CharOp, multiple 8s would be pretty common with point buy, too. I did a quick search for Fighter options to give me a second opinion on prioritizing for this draft, and the first big article I found advises dumping all three mental stats with 8s, for either Battlemaster OR Eldritch Knight builds. Which isn't my usual style, but if we're talking optimization, 8s are definitely going to happen.

If folks DON'T want to optimize, and want more rounded characters, this draft seems to allow that option. At least for some of us.
Oh yeah. I wasn't pointing it out to optimize - as you mention the low scores are of no import for some of that. I was more mentally comparing to standard array, and it looks like we will end up with more above and more below it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I get next to last pick, which means by the time it gets back to me there will be two options to take.

No harm sharing my rankings for my paladin and specific previous drafts for what's left.
  1. +2 CON - get above a 14 CON for a front line tank.
  2. Armor +1 - starting money isn't enough for plate, this is an end-run around it. AL at point had the same thing, it was easier to get magical plate than mundane plate.
  3. +2 WIS - One of the big saves, and I have an 8 before random boosts.
  4. 3 uncommon consumable magical items, +1 to one stat - more for the +1 to a stat.
  5. Weapon +1 - not bad for a front line tank.
  6. +2 INT - Raise INT above 8.
  7. Ritual Caster, +1 Int - Raise INT above 8, and Ritual Caster isn't completely useless on a paladin.
  8. +3 to one stat, -2 to 2 different ones - This might be worth more than I rate it.
  9. +4 to one stat, -1 to all others - this brings my 8s to 7s and doubles their penalty. It almost does more harm than good, but I have some floating +1s not spoken for I can soothe it with.
  10. One random rare magic item, -1 to one stat - going long term, where magic can be found but stat penalties are forever. In a shorter campaign this would actually be pretty good.
  11. Mobile, +2 Dex, -2 Con - I will wear heavy armor, this boosts Dex I don't get much from and reduces Con I need. This actively hurts.
I expect that two from the 6-11 portion will be available when it gets to me. Since I'm not dead last, I can always avoid Mobile if it's one of the two.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My Current stats: STR 12, DEX 17, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 8 with 2 picks to go. Not bad for balance.
With racials and 2 more picks, you'll probably with 2 pretty high stats, and 2 fairly low ones. That's roughly what I was aiming for.

TwoSix

[*]Armor +1 - starting money isn't enough for plate, this is an end-run around it. AL at point had the same thing, it was easier to get magical plate than mundane plate.
Yea, I didn't get it from AL, but it's intentional. In my own games, I treat plate as a de facto uncommon magical armor.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My picks for best upcoming options (for my character) in no particular order: Ritual Caster, +2 CON, the two +1 magic items (more the armour for a DEX character like mine I guess).

TwoSix

My picks for best upcoming options (for my character) in no particular order: Ritual Caster, +2 CON, the two +1 magic items (more the armour for a DEX character like mine I guess).
Just as a general question, do you think the "extra stuff" was roughly in the right area, in terms of being compelling choices? Or do they need a bit of a buff (or a nerf)?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
My Current stats: STR 12, DEX 17, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 8 with 2 picks to go. Not bad for balance.

On a cold winter's evening
On a draft thread bound for nowhere
Fenris met up with Snarf
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-chattin'
'Bout nothing real important
The boredom overtook us
And Snarf began to speak

He said, "Fenris, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's picks
Knowin' what they were going to do
And what was puffery and lies
So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you've got two eights
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So Fenris handed Snarf his bottle
And Snarf drank down his last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked Fenris for a light
And the thread got deathly quiet
And Snarf's face lost all expression
Said, "If you're gonna play the draft, boy
You gotta learn to play it right

You've got to know when to pick 'em
Know when to pass 'em
Know when to grab a feat
Before there's been a run
You never look at all your abilities
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for makin' that character
When the draftin's done

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Just as a general question, do you think the "extra stuff" was roughly in the right area, in terms of being compelling choices? Or do they need a bit of a buff (or a nerf)?
Generally they seem about right - so compelling enough to be under consideration after probably two stat picks and with a mix of upside and downside.

The two bonus feats with a final CON no higher than 10 is interesting. For a lot of builds this seems like an auto take while it's pretty useless for other builds. That's not a complaint btw, I just thought it presented an interesting choice.

TwoSix

The two bonus feats with a final CON no higher than 10 is interesting. For a lot of builds this seems like an auto take while it's pretty useless for other builds. That's not a complaint btw, I just thought it presented an interesting choice.
I was a fan of that one. "2 feats" is really compelling, so I wanted to balance it with something that would be a drawback for pretty much everyone.

Remove ads