D&D 5E Help playtest my fantasy stat draft!

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Stealthy Trollborn is stealthy. But not as stealthy as Whisper! This is how you sneak into a tent...
I toyed with the ideas of a level of Rogue or Barbarian, but decided I'd rather go straight Fighter. I suppose if I knew this was for a one-shot either one would be more powerful, but I built with advancement in mind, and not wanting to delay that 2nd attack or the 6th level ASI to get to Str 20.

If Håkan winds up working with the two cat bounty hunters, no doubt he'll be the distraction.

And if we ever have a sea-going adventure, we can bond over hating the water!
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I toyed with the ideas of a level of Rogue or Barbarian, but decided I'd rather go straight Fighter. If Håkan winds up working with the two cat bounty hunters, no doubt he'll be the distraction.

And if we ever have a sea-going adventure, we can bond over hating the water!
:ROFLMAO:
Bah, real men go straight fighter. None of those multiclass shenanignans. I hit things! Rargh!!1!

Also

iu

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Also, since this was a playtest, I'm more than happy to accept any and all feedback/suggestions you think could make this better. I've already decided that making an even number of rounds (either 6 or 8) so that the later pick players have a stronger position. And I'll definitely add in a few extra options so that picking in the last round doesn't box you into a specific pick quite as strongly.

I think the snake draft doesn't work for this and I'd consider using some other method switching thing up between rounds - though perhaps having more things on the board than we could all pick my ameliorate that a bit.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I liked the snake draft. An even round would help, as would slightly more options.

Id really like to try out Snarf's auction draft idea too.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I am so sorry for the late reply- I really had to deal with a few things, and I will post thoughts about the process as well. Also? Weirdly tough build to make!

Doc Ghoulliday
Reborn, Doomed Wastrel

7bfc37948cef5d8490fcaef9d73957ee--steampunk-artwork-character-ideas.jpg

(inspiration art found here, artist unknown)

Hexblade Warlock / Phantom Rogue
Level 1 (Warlock) / 3 (Phantom Rogue)
Alignment:
Neutral
Diety: None

AC 15
HP 19/19
Hit Dice: 4/4 at 4d8-4
Speed: 30 feet
Passive Perception: 18
Proficiency +2

Str 8 (-1)
Athletics: -1

Dex 16 (+3)
Acrobatics: +3
+Sleight of Hand: +5
+Stealth: +5

Con 8 (-1)

Int 16 (+3)
Arcana: +3
History: +3
+Investigation:+5
Nature: +3
Religion: +3

Wis 18 (+4)
Animal Handling: +4
*Insight: +8
+Medicine: +6
*Perception: +8
Survival: +4

Cha 18 (+4)
*Deception: +6
Intimidation: +4
Performance: +4
*Persuasion: +6

(+ = Proficient, *=Expertise)

Saving Throws: Dexterity (+5) Intelligence (+5) Wisdom (+6)

Combat
Pistol
+5 for 1d10+3 (or if hex blade, +6 for 1d10+4)
Shortsword +5 for 1d6+3
Shortsword off hand +5 for 1d6
Dagger +5 for 1d4+5 (If thrown 20/60)
Dagger off hand +5 for 1d4+5 (If thrown 20/60)
+ Sneak Attack +2d6 Damage

Proficiencies
Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
Simple Weapons, Marital Weapons, Hand Crossbows, Longswords, Rapiers, Shortswords, Firearms
Thieves' Tools, Artisan Tools (Tinker), Gaming Tools
Stealth, Investigation, Perception, Insight, Medicine, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Deception
Languages: Common, Undercommon, Thieves' Cant

Feats
Gunner:
+1 Dex, gain firearm proficiency, ignore loading, no disadvantage to “melee” attack with firearm.
Resilient (Wisdom): +1 Wisdom, proficient on saves

Reborn Features
Darkvision:
60’
Deathless: Does not need to breathe, eat, or drink (although still drinks). Advantage on saves for disease, poison, and death saves. Resistance to poison damage.
Sleepless: Don’t need to sleep, can’t be put to sleep. Long rest takes 4 hours, and you are conscious during that time.
Past Life Knowledge: After seeing result of a roll, get to add d6 to it. May do a number of times per long rest = to proficiency.

Rogue Features
Expertise:
Proficiency bonus is doubled in insight and perception.
Sneak Attack: Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don't need advantage if an enemy is within 10' of the target.
Thieves' Cant: Placed in languages; note that it takes 4x longer.
Cunning Action: Use bonus action on turn to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Whispers of the Dead: Every short rest, can choose a new skill/tool to be proficient in.
Wails from the Grave: Can use proficiency times per long rest- after sneak attack, target a second critter within 30’ for 1/2 the necrotic damage dice of sneak attack.

Hexblade Features
Hexblade’s Curse:
Curse target for 1 minute- bonus to damage = proficiency; critical on 19 or 20; if target dies, gain HP = level+cha modifier.
Hex Warrior: Extra proficiencies. One weapon gets to use charisma for to hit and damage.

Spellcasting
2 cantrips known, 2 spell slots at first level
Mage Hand, Mind Sliver
Armor of Agathys, Hex

Equipment
Monster Hunter’s Pack
-Chest
-Crowbar
-Hammer
-Wooden Stakes x3
-Flask of Holy Water
-Holy Symbol
-Manacles
-Steel Mirror
-Flask of Oil
-Tinderbox
-Torches x3

Pack of playing cards with pictures of people Doc has killed (Horror Token)
Common Tattered Clothes
Shortsword x2
Burglar’s Pack
Thieves' Tools
Studded Leather Armor
Dagger x2
Pistol
Bullets x 50
Tinker’s Kit (Artisan’s Tools)
Gaming Kit
Purse (100 gp)
2 Potions of Poison (Uncommon item)- Doc has acquired immunity to this particular poison

Background: Doomed Wastrel (Custom Haunted One)
Two proficiencies (medicine, persuasion)
Two tool (artisan- tinkers, gambling)

Doomed Wastrel Feature- the Doomed and the Drunk
Those who look into Doc’s eyes can see that he has faced unimaginable horror and that he is no stranger to the darkness and the bottle. Though they might fear Doc, or even pity him, commoners will extend Doc every courtesy and do their utmost to help him- or at least buy him a drink. Unless Doc has shown himself to be a danger to them, they will even take up arms to fight alongside Doc, should he find yourself facing an enemy alone.

Backstory:
Doc used to be a human. Of that … he is fairly sure. Sometimes, when the voices of the dead aren’t making demands, he has a vague recollection that he traveled around the lands in a small wagon, offering his services to common people. Doc thinks those memories are real; his fingers still know how to fix any item, heck, he can still fix up a person if he needs to.

But every time those memories start to form, of sunny days, and the scent of wildflowers wafting in the air, and smiling children running after his cart, he hears the cries of the dead again. Some of those voices, he thinks he remembers. Doc flips out his deck of cards, and see the faces … yes, those are the dead, the people Doc has killed. But there are others. There always more- whispers, screams, begging cries.

Doc takes another shot of the hardest stuff this disreputable place has. Yes … that dulls the voices of the dead if only for a second. He’s no longer even sure if he is alive or dead. He seems to recall a horrible rending of his flesh, of his lungs … is he just another voice in someone else’s head? But then Doc recalls that he made a deal to come back. He’s here for a reason. Doc was told that he wouldn’t be weak any more, wouldn’t have to worry about the consumption, he just had to promise …

What? What did Doc promise? Doc stares at his cards, and at the bottle of spirits, and finally at his pistol.

Doc remembered, now. He promised death.

Trait: I don’t talk about the thing that torments me. I’d rather not burden others with my curse.
Ideal: I have a dark calling that puts me above the law.
Bond: There’s evil in me, I can feel it. It must never be set free.
Flaw: I have an addiction. Although I don’t need to drink what er to survive, I can’t stop because only drinking keeps the dead at bay … and I can never drink enough.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@TwoSix

Great idea and conception- lot of fun. Here's my feedback-

1. I think that the nature of the adventure will determine the relative value of choices. I'll be explicit- if you're running a one-shot, people will likely put a much higher emphasis on magic items. OTOH, if this is going to be to start a build for a longer campaign, I think it's going to go - Abilities > Feats > Magic Items. Period. Because most people will assume they can find magic items at some point, but abilities and feats are harder to come by.

2. Most people seem to undervalue feats in general. That's cool. :)

3. Some of the choices that seem great for optimization were actually seriously Ackbar (it's a trap)- like the +4, -1 to everything else. Not because of the relative drawback, but because it was likely that the people already had at least two eights ... and further losses either meant a debilitating penalty, or would require spending resources to make "merely bad." ... Those are good options to include!

4. I agree that there should be more options than picks, but not that many more.

5. I also think it's going to matter if the group going in is completely collaborative- TBH, it's probably not as much fun if everyone is! You want to have a bit of trash talking, etc., to make it enjoyable. But you need people who are fun and understand that; I wouldn't spring this on a group that doesn't get along, and doesn't get the concept.

6. Just like this draft, I wouldn't expect many trades. Basic human psychology- we We will all overvalue the choices we make, and undervalue the choices people make after us. You can always allow trades, and maybe if you run it have an enforced prior of time (one day?) to complete trades, but I just don't see many, if any, happening. ...unless trades can occur AFTER random determinations.

Overall, this was awesome.

(As for my character, the main thing it illustrated was that my various attempts to use the Gunner Feat in Tasha's to build an awesome character ... well, let's say that firearms remain unsupported.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases