[Help!] Stacking Confusion

Spinachcat

First Post
I am confused on some situational stacking issues in 4th. The Feat stacking on PHB 192 and Bonuses stacking PHB 275 have led me to a few examples that I am unsure about. Tell me what you think.

ONE: Villain's Menace + Bless
My fighter uses Villain's Menace (Level 1 Daily) and hits an enemy giving him a situational +2 to attack and +4 to damage vs only that opponent. My Cleric wanders by and casts Bless (Level 2 Utility) giving all allies a general +1 to attack. My fighter darn well wants a +3 to attack as his original +2 is situational only vs that oponnent and the other is a general bonus.

Yes or No? Why or Why Not?

TWO: Priest's Shield + Sacred Circle
Priest's Shield ( Cleric At Will) +1 Power Bonus until end of next turn DOES stack with Sacred Circle (Level 2 Paladin Utility) if a character is standing in the Circle. The reason is that the Cirle is situational and only applies if you are standing in Circle and the Priests Shield is ALSO situational and only applies till the end of the next turn. Total Power Bonus to AC = 2.

THREE: Bless + Righteous Brand
At the beginning of an encounter my Cleric uses Bless (Lvl 2 Utility) to give all affected allies a +1 Power Bonus to attack rolls until the end of the encounter. Shortly thereafter my Cleric Hits an opponent with Righteous Brand (At Will) and designates my Rogue to recieve a bonus equal to my Stength Modifier (+2 in this case) on all Melee attack rolls against the target until the end of my next turn. These bonuses stack because one is general and one is situational, giving the rogue a total of +3 to hit on any Melee attacks till the end of my next turn.

FOUR: Furious Smash + Warlord's Favor
I am a warlord (Name: Grunt Smash Kill, but that isn't important) and I hit a Furry Beastie (TM) with my Furious Smash (At Will) and then designate my Fighter (Name: Peace and Joy) who is on the other side of the Furry Beastie (TM) to recieve my Charisma Modifier +3 to his next attack roll and damage roll against the target. Then cause I am cool like that, I spend an action point and use my Warlord's Favor (Lvl 1 Encounter) to hit the Furry Beastie (TM) again. I once again designate "Peace and Joy" to recieve the bonus and he recieves a +3 (1+Int Bonus of 2) to attack rolls vs Furry Beastie (TM) until the end of my next turn. Since the Power Bonuses are different situations, one = next attack vs the target and one = all attacks vs the target till end of my next turn they stack, giving "Joy and Peace" a +6 to hit and +3 to damage on the next attack and a +3 to hit on any other attacks that he does before the end of my next turn.

FIVE: Sacred Circle + Hallowed Circle
Example 5: My Paladin likes the word Circle and on consecutive turns uses Sacred Cirle (level 2 Utility) and Hallowed Circle (level 5 Daily) without moving. Sacred Circle gives +1 Power Bonus to AC and Hallowed Circle gives a +1 Power Bonus to all defenses. They give a net +2 AC because one is just AC, the other is all defenses and both are situational in that you have to be standing in the Circle. (Shortly after doing this, my Paladin renounces combat and becomes a farmer as he realize there are no more circle skills for him at higher levels)

Shabe

First Post
No matter how you spin it with situational things and stuff, a power bonus to hit is a power bonus to hit and does not stack, you haven't listed the types of all bonus' in your examples so without the rulebook / D&D insider its too time consuming to look up your examples.

But its a simple enough rule, no?

If two things grant X bonus to Y they don't stack.
Power bonus to hit and Power bonus to hit = Do not stack

If one thing grants X bonus to Y and the other does Z bonus to Y it does stack.
Power bonus to hit and Feat bonus to hit = Stacks

If one thing grants X bonus to Y and the other does X bonus to Z both grant bonus' to the different mechanism.
Power bonus to hit and Power bonus to damage = Both function but don't stack.

If the bonus doesn't have a type because its an un-named bonus it does stack.

dragon_eater

First Post
ONE: Villain's Menace + Bless

Villain's Menace gives a +2 power bonus to attack and a +4 power bonus to damage.
Bless gives a +1 power bonus to attack.

Since they are both power bonuses they don't stack.

TWO: Priest's Shield + Sacred Circle

Priest's Shield gives a +1 power bonus to AC.
Sacred Circle gives a +1 power bonus to AC.

Again power bonuses don't stack.

THREE: Bless + Righteous Brand

Bless gives a +1 power bonus to attack.
Righteous Brand gives a power bonus to melee attack rolls.

Again power bonuses don't stack.

FOUR: Furious Smash + Warlord's Favor

Furious Smash gives a power bonus to attack and damage rolls.
Warlord's Favor gives a +2 power bonus.

You get the trend.

FIVE: Sacred Circle + Hallowed Circle

Sacred Circle gives a +1 power bonus to AC.
Hallowed Circle gives a +1 power bonus to defenses

So basically powers give power bonuses and don't stack.

Remove ads