• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Wanted for D&D Arena Pregens

Corinthi

First Post
This weekend I'm going to be at MidSouthCon in Memphis Tennessee. I've signed up to run a level 13 D&D arena where the players are strongly encouraged to bring thier most minmaxed and obnoxiously munchkin characters to fight for the bragging rights of winning the arena.

What I'd like is some Pregens to hand out to folks who've not come packing thier own abominations. I've statted up a couple of folks, but then it occurred to me that picking the collective brain of ENWorld would likely be more productive, and more entertaining for the various number crunchers on the board.

What I'd like, if people are willing, are Pregenerated PCs. Stat block format is fine, a detailed character sheet is fine, whatever you'd like, so long as it's a complete character. As an added bonus, whatever characters aren't played by players, will become various NPCs in the arena, and I'll be sure to post how everyone's character did.

Here's what the players know, including character creation guidelines.

Players bring the most twinked out, munchinized, D&D 3.5 characters that thier twisted brains can create and compete in an arena setting for the title of MidSouthCon's best powergamer. Characters will be 13th level with a 40 point buy for attributes, and 110,000 gold for equipment. No item creation. The following sourcebooks are allowed for character creation: Player's Handbook 3.5, Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Complete Arcane, & Complete Adventurer. Equipment, feats, classes, races, etc from these books are all legal for purposes of this challenge.

So, is there anyone who'd like to help me with some pregens? I'll need them by Friday at 10:00 AM EST at the latest.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Well, have you thought about a neutral cleric with an Aurasight on who memorises both Blasphemy and Holy Word and uses caster level boost items? With that feat from CD that lets you use a turning attempt to get caster level boosts, Ioun Stone of CL boost, Ring of CL Boost (CA), and Prayer Beads of Karma, the cleric can automatically kill any of the other contestants if he wins initiative unless they happen to have SR 24 or better.

sullivan

First Post
How long did you reflect on this project before saying "Yup, I'll do it?" I suggest you take some time to internalize the wisdom of "Gamers go to gaming conventions."

Then wail in despair while the rest of us pray for a miracle that will save your soul.

:p

P.S. Good luck, and maybe check over on the General RPG Discussion board. I think there was a Your Most Broken PC thread running there. If not there was someone that was involved with a similar class level online arena. They allowed ECL monster entrants though, so you might not be able to directly plagurize the best of the worst.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Well, have you thought about a neutral cleric with an Aurasight on who memorises both Blasphemy and Holy Word and uses caster level boost items? With that feat from CD that lets you use a turning attempt to get caster level boosts, Ioun Stone of CL boost, Ring of CL Boost (CA), and Prayer Beads of Karma, the cleric can automatically kill any of the other contestants if he wins initiative unless they happen to have SR 24 or better.
That's partially true - he can kill any Living or Undead contestant. Constructs aren't mentioned, if the opponent can swing it somehow, nor other types.

Someone might figure out a way to get a Resurection spell or something running on a Contingency, and avoid that first blow. A mage could build a Contingent Magic Jar to take you down with him, even if you do kill him with the Blasphemy/Holy Word (his body is "lifeless", and so isn't a living creature; it's not animated, so it isn't undead, either; besides, once in the jar, his body can be killed without killing him, not immediately, anyway). You wouldn't quite be getting an instant, guarunteed win on successful initiative.

If prep rounds are included, no need for the contingency - the opposing mage can cast Magic Jar immediately, perhaps get a Familiar to move the jar around (a 100 gp gem isn't heavy), or even use Share Spells to put the Familiar in the jar, and have it possess you.

Likewise, how is he getting Aurasight? A spell? That costs him a turn (unless it's low enough that he can Quicken it, perhaps with a Rod). Permanency? That (probably) costs him EXP, so he can't cast Blasphemy or Holy Word (went down a level)

Also, there's the range issue - Blasphemy and Holy Word only have a 40-ft radius spread, centered on the caster - if the cleric can't move to within that range and still cast, it doesn't matter that he won initiative.

Hmm... many strategies will depend on the specifics of the arena - starting distance, prep rounds, and the like. Details?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jack Simth said:
That's partially true - he can kill any Living or Undead contestant. Constructs aren't mentioned, if the opponent can swing it somehow, nor other types.

Someone might figure out a way to get a Resurection spell or something running on a Contingency, and avoid that first blow. A mage could build a Contingent Magic Jar to take you down with him, even if you do kill him with the Blasphemy/Holy Word (his body is "lifeless", and so isn't a living creature; it's not animated, so it isn't undead, either; besides, once in the jar, his body can be killed without killing him, not immediately, anyway). You wouldn't quite be getting an instant, guarunteed win on successful initiative.

If prep rounds are included, no need for the contingency - the opposing mage can cast Magic Jar immediately, perhaps get a Familiar to move the jar around (a 100 gp gem isn't heavy), or even use Share Spells to put the Familiar in the jar, and have it possess you.

Likewise, how is he getting Aurasight? A spell? That costs him a turn (unless it's low enough that he can Quicken it, perhaps with a Rod). Permanency? That (probably) costs him EXP, so he can't cast Blasphemy or Holy Word (went down a level)

Also, there's the range issue - Blasphemy and Holy Word only have a 40-ft radius spread, centered on the caster - if the cleric can't move to within that range and still cast, it doesn't matter that he won initiative.

Hmm... many strategies will depend on the specifics of the arena - starting distance, prep rounds, and the like. Details?
It doesn't sound like he's allowing critters, so constructs aren't a problem.

If you think the cleric can't get aurasight on a magic item, which she easily can, then she can use the broken Divine Metamagic from CD to quicken it for free.

Magic jar and contingencied rezing will protect against almost any strategy, after all (except the few that don't involve killing).

Distance is an important issue, but the character might be able to buy items to overcome it.

And most of all, I was just suggesting this as a simple strategy for players who we already know couldn't be bothered to min/max the rules to make something complicated themselves. This is easy to play and usually wins. I'm not trying to say that it is in any way the best strategy.

Jack Simth

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
It doesn't sound like he's allowing critters, so constructs aren't a problem.
I was actually thinking there might be a prestige class in the possible source books that grants the type, or someone who was crazy enough to mind switch with their Psicrystal or something.
Rystil Arden said:
If you think the cleric can't get aurasight on a magic item, which she easily can, then she can use the broken Divine Metamagic from CD to quicken it for free.
Ah, items - missed that angle.
Rystil Arden said:
Magic jar and contingencied rezing will protect against almost any strategy, after all (except the few that don't involve killing).
Magic Jar is compeletly foiled by any of the Protection From spells, Contingency and a ressurection-type spell only work once (and cost two of the higher-level spell slots available at 13th)
Rystil Arden said:
Distance is an important issue, but the character might be able to buy items to overcome it.
Which usually either increase base speed (no action, but still distance-dependant) or take an action (dimension door), likely spoiling much of the effect.
Rystil Arden said:
And most of all, I was just suggesting this as a simple strategy for players who we already know couldn't be bothered to min/max the rules to make something complicated themselves. This is easy to play and usually wins. I'm not trying to say that it is in any way the best strategy.
There is certainly that.

In which case, I might also suggest other seeds:

Wizard with Magic Jar prepared twice - once on a Contingency (just before something kills me), and one to cast normally.

A Cleric with a Silence spell (immune to either of those insta-kill spells (they have the sonic descriptor)) with all spells prepared with the Silent Spell feat

Another: A "straight" monk, with a Monk's belt, of course, tweaked for getting across the field fast (Abundant step) and pinning the opponent.

Wolfix

First Post
It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but you might gain a fair number of ideas from the site in my sig. Check out the Original Arena, then the Combatants folder. Not all of them are neccesarily min/maxed, but a number of them are, and have been built for Arena like conditions. Might also give you ideas on what items to buy.

Corinthi

First Post
Players won't know the details of the arena before they enter it. That said, the idea in my head is to allow some spell up time before they enter the arena.

The actual arena will be a Pocket Dimension created via Genesis or Astral Seed, or possibly even a Magnificent Mansion. It'll curtail dimensional movement, and have some interesting planar traits designed to get people fighting and minimize camping.

This discussion is helpful. I'd considered the Holy Word Cleric, but don't feel that handing out that particular abomination. Anyone playing that monstrosity had better stat it up themselves.

Contemplating the effect such a cleric would have on the arena raises an interesting question. Are there official rules in D&D for purposefully deafening yourself?

Oh, and I must admit that I've a fairly masochistic streak when running convention games. I've been the gaming coordinator at a couple of conventions, and the last convention I attended involved me running the World's Largest Dungeon for about 12 hours straight. Folks were asking for an arena, so I thought I've give it a whirl.

Although I did purposefully schedhule my arena to directly conflict with a large amount of Living Greyhawk, so hopefully that'll reduce the pool of players a bit.

Corinthi

First Post
I'm actually more envisioning a the Barbarian with a Stick method of deafness in this instance.

Perhaps a Healing check, each attempt causing damage, but a successful DC 15 given the result you're looking for?

Course, that's veering more into House Rules, so I apologize for going off topic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads