• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a rogue build please

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sample build:

Wood Elf Rogue 4 / Barbarian 2 / Fighter 1 / Shadowdancer 2
Levelling progression: Rogue 1, Fighter 1, Barb 2, Rogue +3, SD 2

Initial stats (after racial): Str 18, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10

Feats:
1 Dodge
2 Combat Reflexes [Fighter]
3 Mobility
6 Spring Attack
9 Improved Initiative

Future feat ideas: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Whirlwind Attack

Dandu

First Post
A possible assassin build is Rogue 2/Ranger3/Assassin9/Eldrtich Knight 2/Dragon Disciple 4

BAB +16, Strength focused, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip... and whatever else seems appropriate, I guess.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Dandu makes a good point, Shadowdancer is super redundant. If you just play a race with darkvision, you can get all the useful bits just by being a rogue/assassin. New build!

Dwarf Rogue 3 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 / Assassin 10 (could also do Rogue 4 & Ranger 1)

Initial stats (after racial): Str 16, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8

Feats:
1 Dodge
2 Mobility [Fighter]
3 Combat Expertise
4 TWF or Rapid Shot [Ranger]
6 Spring Attack
9 Whirlwind Attack

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Hmm, if you give up on Spring Attack it does free up a lot of feats. Especially since with Assassin he's not getting Hide in Plain Sight till ECL 14-15. I just figured if he's going all the way to Spring Attack and sporting a mediocre BAB, may as well work towards WWA.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Only the bite is useful if 2-handing, though. And I think getting more SA and skill points via rogue would be better at that point. Rogue 3 / Fighter 1 / Ranger 1 / Assassin 10 would be the lead in... Or Rogue 4 / Ranger 1 / Assassin 10 if you don't need the feat. After that, I'd go to Rogue 7 (Rogue 8's Improved Uncanny Dodge now worthless) and then you have 1 or two levels to play with. Assuming the OP actually gets to 20. I've sstopped assuming 20 levels in my builds it's so rare. If my build goes to level 15, that's generally enough for me to stop caring beyond that.

Dandu

First Post
I'm currently toying with Rogue 3/Ranger2/Assassin9/Eldrtich Knight 2/Dragon Disciple 4 gives +15 BAB.

Rogue3/Ranger2/Assassin10/Rogue 5 would give BAB of +15 as well.

So I guess it's a trade off between Str and Con vs better skills and sneak attack.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I forgot how godawful the assassin spell list is... They get stuff at higher spell level than Bards and even wizards in some cases... I've been thinking. Is Assassin 10 really that good? You get +1 BAB, +1 reflex, +1 4th level spell per day and known, and a skill array that's garbage compared to rogue. Might be worth cutting out the last assassin level.

A final build of Rogue 7 / Ranger 2 / Assassin 9 / Fighter 2 (and you could take Rogue to 8 and/or Assassin to 10 and drop some Fighter or Ranger from there and still end up with the same BAB) yields the glorious final BAB of +16.

Bad math! I guess the only way for a Rogue/Assassin to reach BAB +16 is to not go past Assassin 8. Or not go past Rogue 4, but that'd be an awful lot of martial classes in the build.

Remove ads