• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with a simple exp system for 5E

neobolts

Explorer
Here is what I am about to try out:

Quest Point System (QP)

Gaining QP:
  • Minor Quests are worth 1 QP. (this includes most side quests that come up organically during gameplay)
  • Standard Quest are worth 2-3 QP.
  • Major overarching story plot points might be worth extra.

QP Needed to Level​
LEVEL OBTAINEDQP NEEDED
2-33
5-209

This curve is meant to reflect the accelerated leveling during the "training wheels" levels in 5e.

Manchu

First Post
You could go even easier, and have 4-5 "objectives" be the XP needed to level. Objectives would be a mix of key combat and noncombat events, basically a video game style Quest Log.
I really like that idea! The only trouble is, how do you let your players know what their objectives are without spoiling the story aspect? Or do you just tell them "you need to complete five objectives to make the next level" and you just let them know every time they accomplish one? Haha, I can just imagine players thinking, well that sounds boring but I better do it in case it is an objective. Bit railroady but would be a better way to raid road players than other ways.

Last edited:

graypariah

First Post
I have switched to using session based advancement and I love it. Before, my players killed everything first and asked questions later because even if I gave them xp for non-combat objectives they still didn't want to miss out on the xp. Now if they kill something they do so without the hope for xp or loot rewards (I have also switched to all bad guys having zero loot). I have never had the group RP as often and as well. If you find the suggested progression in the DMG is too fast, you can easily add a few sessions needed at each level.

DMCF

First Post
I counter "kill everything" mentality by awarding the encounter xp for encounters surpassed by non-combat means. I let the players know and I also a small bonus (also told) to the individual(s) who determined the solution. In this way players are encouraged to think a little harder. In sessions (which does work for some) I feel I would only have inspiration or magical item rewards to work with.

AngryOgre

Villager
We totally throw out the default XP system and use dungeon world's system. Players need their level+7 experience and experience is awarded through failing skill and ability checks and through a end of session check list which awards up to 3 XP, one point per yes to each question. What this does is helps players who roll poorly advance faster then their more luck inclined party mates and reinforces exploring and setting engagement. Be warned tho, a really poor roller can out level their party really fast. But it is hilarious, and it's not like your being unfair ;)

graypariah

First Post
I counter "kill everything" mentality by awarding the encounter xp for encounters surpassed by non-combat means. I let the players know and I also a small bonus (also told) to the individual(s) who determined the solution. In this way players are encouraged to think a little harder. In sessions (which does work for some) I feel I would only have inspiration or magical item rewards to work with.

To be fair, if my players cared only about xp, loot, and inspiration I would consider it an added perk of the session based advancement if it weeded those ones out ;).

I like your idea though. I have been struggling with finding a system that awards players for cleverness without actually giving them a combat advantage. I will have to dig through the DMG to find some good rewards since I already use inspiration to reward role playing.

neobolts

Explorer
I really like that idea! The only trouble is, how do you let your players know what their objectives are without spoiling the story aspect? Or do you just tell them "you need to complete five objectives to make the next level" and you just let them know every time they accomplish one? Haha, I can just imagine players thinking, well that sounds boring but I better do it in case it is an objective. Bit railroady but would be a better way to raid road players than other ways.

I used a modified version of this in a 4e campaign. The way the quests worked: they are titled based on what the players know at that moment; you can even change the quest name along the way (we used a mini whiteboard).

Example:
When the villagers say something is killing their cattle and they want it to stop, the quest is then introduced: "investigate the dead cattle and put a stop to it". No spoiler there. If the party expresses interest in helping, you put it on the list. You could update the quest title once they investigate & know what the problem is, or just leave it that name until the quest is complete.

I agree that not having clear objectives would create an unwanted "I better do it in case it is an objective" mentality.

Last edited:

Manchu

First Post
There is a bit of a "problem" (depending on how one feels about raidroading) either way -- I mean, "I better do this because it is an objective" is also railroading. But again, it is a form of railroading less offensive than in-narrative forms (like barring every door except for the "correct" one, for example). Then again, maybe in practice it feels more open. Ideally, players set their own PCs' goals -- but it is necessarily a matter of how the DM introduces things. I guess if the players do not want to accomplish objectives, the problem is probably deeper than an objective-based leveling system. Sorry, a lot of this is me thinking as I type.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Simple XP system:

You start out with 0 XP. When you complete an encounter or a quest goal, you get 1, 2, or 3 XP, based on the difficulty or importance of the achievement. When you have 10 XP, you gain a level, and your XP total resets to 0.

phantomK9

Explorer
Simple XP system:

You start out with 0 XP. When you complete an encounter or a quest goal, you get 1, 2, or 3 XP, based on the difficulty or importance of the achievement. When you have 10 XP, you gain a level, and your XP total resets to 0.

That actually sounds pretty workable and easy, I'm probably going to steal this.

I might modify it to increase for each level or increase for each tier they reach.

Add in additional points for consistent fumbles/bad rolls as well as for player creativity..hmmm...

Off the top of my head....

Combat Encounters
Easy = 0 points
Medium = 1 point
Hard = 2 points
Deadly = 3 points

Other Encounters
DC
10 = 0 points
15 = 1 point
20 = 2 points
25+ = 3 points

Modifiers
+1 point for each time the player fails the roll by 10 or more
+2 points each time a player rolls a critical failure (does not stack with above)
+1 to 3 points for making discoveries or find fun ways to get around a problem

So DMs would still have to at least figure out whether an encounter is difficult and can use the party's average level to build the encounter, but would have to track all the XP earned.

*Edit: Looking at how things are currently calculated, a party would level from 1 to 2, if they complete three deadly encounters. I think I will drop the point value down by one each so that the easiest stuff would give 0 points base, but could be modified if the players roll poorly or find interesting ways to resolve issues.

Last edited:

Remove ads