Help with a sorcerer homebrew, Twisted Soul

Lanliss

Explorer
Made some small adjustments, now I need to actually try it. Anyone else who is interested, feel free to try it out, and let me know what changes need to be made. If I am happy with it, I may move this over to the homebrew section, since it might actually be playable now.

EDIT: I suppose it might be helpful if I actually put the tables up before I said it was playable. I will try to figure that out by tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Victory, I have unlocked the secrets of the spreadsheet. Kind of...

Last edited:

My only concern with chaos form is that your options are a flumph (CR 1/8), a slaad tadpole (CR 1/8), an Ixitxachitl (CR 1/4), gibbering mouther (CR 2), intellect devourer (CR 2), Vampiric Ixitxachitl (CR 2), and Nothic (CR 2). Right now there are no CR 1's, so maybe change it to CR 1 or less at 6th level (no practical difference), CR 2 or less at 14th level, and CR 3 or less at 18th level (that would add the spectator and the grell to the list).

Lanliss

Explorer
My only concern with chaos form is that your options are a flumph (CR 1/8), a slaad tadpole (CR 1/8), an Ixitxachitl (CR 1/4), gibbering mouther (CR 2), intellect devourer (CR 2), Vampiric Ixitxachitl (CR 2), and Nothic (CR 2). Right now there are no CR 1's, so maybe change it to CR 1 or less at 6th level (no practical difference), CR 2 or less at 14th level, and CR 3 or less at 18th level (that would add the spectator and the grell to the list).

Sounds fine to me. I had just been working off the druids wildshape, and adjusted it a bit. I also forgot about the ooze part, I was going to have it aberrations or Oozes that you could change to.

Sadly there are as yet no CR 1 oozes, or I would say your original schedule would work.

Since they keep mentioning the Far Realm in terms of the mystic, I figure there might be a Far Realm AP in the future, so maybe they would add a couple of new abberations (including possibly some CR 1 ones), but who knows when or if that will happen.

Lanliss

Explorer
Sadly there are as yet no CR 1 oozes, or I would say your original schedule would work.

Since they keep mentioning the Far Realm in terms of the mystic, I figure there might be a Far Realm AP in the future, so maybe they would add a couple of new abberations (including possibly some CR 1 ones), but who knows when or if that will happen.

Right now the oozes come in at 14th level anyway, so that is not much of a problem. Still hardly played with it all, other than running a few transdimensional random encounters at level one. Any tips on how to actually playtest something? I was thinking of getting a couple of friends to run LMoP with me playing this, but that would only get me so far on testing it.

That is the only I know to playtest. If you know someone who likes playing a Moon druid, I would definitely involve them (since that is the class most likely to have its toes stepped on). I would do at least two runs: one where the most competitive type you know is running the sorcerer, and the other where the most laid back type is playing the sorcerer. If the competitive type can't make Son of Codzilla out of the sorcerer (at least any more than he can with any other class), then it isn't broken, and if the laid back guy doesn't get the sorcerer killed off faster than normal for his PC's, then it isn't a trap. If neither finds a feature useful, it is probably a dud.

Good luck.

Lanliss

Explorer
Made a couple of small adjustments, fixing my own mistakes, or clarifying abilities. Should be able to do some real play testing soon. A friend is building a few mini quests to try at different levels, and have another friend who will be going fighter to be my meatshield.

Remove ads