• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Big Fight!

DonAdam

Explorer
I would suggest using the EL calculator from IH/Grim Tales.

For a hard fight (50% resources), here are a few options (according to it):
1 CR 20
2 CR 14-15
3 CR 12
4 CR 11

For a very hard fight (100% resources), which is what I would recommend with the 5 rounds of buffing and if you're doing no other fights:
1 CR 28 (not so recommended)
2 CR 20
3 CR 16
4 CR 14

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Are you really sure you want a truly even fight? In a truly even fight, it's almost certain one or more PCs will die.

I'd suggest that what you should go for is a challenging fight, with the illusion of being truly even.

There are many ways to do this. The simplest method -- other than simply fudging on the fly, and there's nothing wrong with that -- is upping the Bad Guys' defenses -- AC, saving throws, and so on -- significantly, while lowering their offense significantly. This makes the PCs truly work to defeat them, but makes it very unlikely the PCs will get slaughtered.

beeber

First Post
first, someone is right (boy, does that sound funny!). if you don't change stuff up, high-level fights are going to be quick. unless there are a lot of lucky/unlucky rolls, it probably won't = memorable in and of itself.

second, i third :\ shallown's dispel suggestion. that will go a long way to prolonging the combat. unless the party offs the dispeller first. . . .

third, steel_wind hit the nail right on the head. a unique environment that makes them think will not only make the fight last longer, but definitely make it unforgettable. especially if there's an irresistible item to struggle over. just give it a special quality (like, good for two rounds then teleports back to its starting location) and watch 'em go.

can't wait to hear how it comes out! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads