help with CR of a trap and was it fair?

whorobbedme

First Post
What sort of a CR would you appoint to acid so ?, i think if used in certin ways it could be more deadlyer then its CR1-CR3 pathfinder would give it. personaly il stick to my 3.5 rules where CR5 would be the highst it could reach. that way it would be at least equil to drowning.

Regardless, the point is moot. Your DM is unlikely to suddenly award a few extra thousand xp because "some people on the Internet" might think the trap is a higher CR.
The rogue died. That's sad. But arguing with the DM won't bring him back and will only cause hard feelings at the table.

our rogue has decided he's not playing anymore so the game is over, 5 characters killed while reaching 7th lvl is enough he says.
ya think playing with the same DM the last 13yrs and doing up 10 characters a campain thing might go a bit diffrent

Dozen

First Post
our rogue has decided he's not playing anymore so the game is over, 5 characters killed while reaching 7th lvl is enough he says.
ya think playing with the same DM the last 13yrs and doing up 10 characters a campain thing might go a bit diffrent

Ouch. Now that? That must bite. Fair or unfair, your DM might be overly unforgiving. Did I get it right? He executes 10 PCs a game? 10, and with the whole party complaining in the end? Harsh. I'd rather cheat to keep you alive and the game fun, at least. Entertainment is more important than 100% realism.

Tell you what, if you don't mind to play over a forum or a chat, I'm homebrewing some low combat Planescape/Greyhawk adventures for 3.5 to test a 3rd party race. The party will have tremendous advantage, given they play the cards right, without need for optimization or a dragon's treasure hoard worth of gear upgrade every level(though you can get either or both, I don't mind). I can write you up and give you a PM when I'm ready if you felt you needed a break from the guy. You can play any race, use any splashbook I have, whatever you want.

Last edited:

whorobbedme

First Post
yep 10 PCs a campain, on avarage 1 PC every 2-3 sessions . then we just quit the campain, someone els runs a game then when thats done we go get 10 more killed. we havent brought a PC back to life in about 5yrs as we worked out its not worth the hastle. dont get me wrong the games are fun till we get sick of dying :)

Iv never playd planescape altho we did finish paladin in hell, id love a go at it but im not on everyday so forum might be the best bet

TalenOrAvinair

First Post
yep 10 PCs a campain, on avarage 1 PC every 2-3 sessions .

The gaming group I'm with now has been together for about 10 years, and we've had nights where we averaged 1 character death a night for 2 months straight. It hurts. It sucks. You get good at rolling characters. In very few instances I have to say the DM killed the character. Usually we did it to ourselves:
1. A wizard that gets taken out by slay living (had a ring of counter spell - slay living in his backpack)
2. Accidently left the healer behind who got lost in a maze.... (never split the party...or if you have to, stay with the healer)
3. A dwarf barbarian who keeps ringing the gong that brings the shadow dragon, because he likes the sound of the gong (finally, the party stayed hidden and watched the dwarf get eaten)
4. The ever great trap that has a big sign on it that says - disarm me here - and your rogue rolls a 1 and sets the thing off.

And that was just 1 gaming session. Our DM was beside himself because we kept dying...and introducing new characters in the under dark is tough.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
The gaming group I'm with now has been together for about 10 years, and we've had nights where we averaged 1 character death a night for 2 months straight. It hurts. It sucks. You get good at rolling characters. In very few instances I have to say the DM killed the character. Usually we did it to ourselves:
1. A wizard that gets taken out by slay living (had a ring of counter spell - slay living in his backpack)
2. Accidently left the healer behind who got lost in a maze.... (never split the party...or if you have to, stay with the healer)
3. A dwarf barbarian who keeps ringing the gong that brings the shadow dragon, because he likes the sound of the gong (finally, the party stayed hidden and watched the dwarf get eaten)
4. The ever great trap that has a big sign on it that says - disarm me here - and your rogue rolls a 1 and sets the thing off.

And that was just 1 gaming session. Our DM was beside himself because we kept dying...and introducing new characters in the under dark is tough.

On the bright side, you're going to have a whole bunch of silly stories to share. We all have some of that. Like my cleric buddy who rubbed taint (from Heroes of Horror) all over his face 'just to show how ridiculous it sounds'. It's hard to roleplay according to your stats when the one with the highest Wisdom in the party does stuff like that. I dumped it, and still always ended up stopping him from killing himself.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A trap that isn't potentially lethal isn't doing it's job. Depending on the amount of acid damage, seems pretty fair to me. Surprised the rogue didn't mitigate the falling damage with Jump + Tumble or even search for the trap first. When I play a rogue I am searching every 5-ft square in a dungeon before I step in it. It might make things slow, but it's better than the alternative. Unless you're on a tight schedule, the rogue should be more careful. Tip: you can take 20 searching for traps (but not for disabling because of the consequences of failure) if you spot an area that seems to serve no other purpose but hold a trap.

PureGoldx58

First Post
It was fair. That was probably the least lethal trap I've seen in a while at any CR level, granted my traps are pretty extreme for what they are against.

Taking a 20 and moving through the dungeon takes a long time, but it is legal. If there are any time constraints you can't really do this, at which point you need to check for traps every 5 foot step. It annoys the DM and other players, but if they don't care then THEY can run ahead into the maw of death waiting for them.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm a DM and I get annoyed when players DON'T check thoroughly for traps, then complain about how lethal they are.

Player: A lightning bolt trap tied to a bestow curse trap? That's so wrong!
DM: Who's the one who didn't bother to check the 60-ft. long, 5-ft. wide corridor?

As I've said, I play rogues and I search all over the place. If I have to make a Reflex save or rely on my touch AC to avoid a trap, I've done something wrong.

Remove ads