D&D 5E Help with different ideas on a whip undead hunter build

hejtmane

Explorer
Ok so being an old guy and remembering the old NES Castlevania game and I did enjoy the Ravenloft campaign

So the character is off the basic concept of Simon Belmont not 100% match but the inspiration of the concept

The limits I do want
Light armor build
Dex based due to light armor and magic whip as primary weapon
feats are fine (existing ones)
Melee as the primary but spells as part of the build is fine
undead hunter type(IE Vampire hunter etc)
multiclass is fine
Will start level 3 lets shoot for level 15 as final (may go further but right now that is the goal)
shield or dual wield do not care

One concept I had was a fighter(battle master)/ranger (hunter) mainly fighter Battle master (trip etc) with ranger-hunter favor enemy: undead and terrain: underdark

Just looking for other ideas that may work outside the box is fine with me but the main focus is to be an undead hunter main weapon a whip

Valmarius

First Post
Have you considered using Paladin as your core class?
Divine Smite will bump up the whip's damage and you'll have access to a small selection of spells.

Unwise

Adventurer
If you go Tavern Brawler, how is your DM with letting you use your whip to grapple? It does no more damage than an unarmed or improvised attack. It would be cool to whip somebody and entangle them. The issue that would remain is that you are using your bonus to grapple, not dual-wield. Battlemaster is definitely the way to go, with trip and disarm both being very flavoursome.

While the build would be sub-optimal, attacking with the whip, tripping the enemy and grappling them in the one move is pretty sweet. If I were the DM I would let you grapple at range, but the grapple would not stop them moving towards you, only away from you. Otherwise a ranged grapple is too awesome for stopping incoming damage.

Sentinel is pretty sweet too, I can see a whip slap/grab stopping people moving away from you. How would your DM be with a whip related feat like Polearm Master that let you whip people as they come into range of you? Combined with Sentinel, I can see it working as a snap to the face, which makes people bawk away from you. Like a lion tamer.

hejtmane

Explorer
Have you considered using Paladin as your core class?
Divine Smite will bump up the whip's damage and you'll have access to a small selection of spells.

That was one as while why it is so hard

So the fighter/ranger is asmir not optimal but has night vision resistance to necorartic damage and just feels right theme wise a celestial hunting down undead

Right now I am the DM of my sons group I may have a small group here soon for me I may still have to DM but I will play a character just can not make decisions

Also thought of Human with ranger/warlock for devilsight and shadow armor
warlock=Undying

I played in that campaign! Well, the concept anyway. Simon Belmont in a custom Ravenloft domain with extended family and associates on an epic quest that approximated Castlevania 1 & 2, with a lot (as in most of the campaign) being the untold prequel.

It was fun.

This was 3e and the DM built him with some fighter/paladin, and some sort of lasher prestige class to make his whipping useful.

Remove ads