Help with Level Adjustment Please (Was Valdemar)

Benben

First Post
I have a players on my table who is a huge fan of Mercedes Lackey Valdemar series. She would really like to get a Kyree as a cohort, and I'm getting stumped on the best way to implement it.

I've decided to use the newly published Psychic's Handbook for the Kyree's character class, but have no idea what to assign for a base Kyree's hit dice, level adjustment, or stat adjustments.

Are there any experts on this on the ENworld who also read the House Rules Forum?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Those are those cat like creatures right? It's been a while since I read them.

If I'm thinking of the right creature, perhaps treat it like an Awakened Leopard.

Benben

First Post
Kyree: telepathic wolves, big as ponies--quite sarcastic. I know they appear in the Mage Winds Triology, and the various Tarma and Kethry short stories.

I'm almost thinking of using hyena stats actually, it's just the "big as ponies" thing that bothers me. With gross physical stats, possible large size, and telpathy, and scent the ECL of the beasts is going to be ridiculous.

And thanks for the instant reply.

Crothian

First Post
ponies are medium sized, so basing it off a noprmal hyena should be fine. I suggested Awaken creature since I think there are rules for figureing out the ecl for them somewhere.

Telepathy is nice, but I'd just allow communication at first and allow it to gain other abilities as it levels in its class. Scent is a good feat, but not hugely powerful.

Benben

First Post
I might just start all Kyree with a few feats from Green Ronin's Pyschic's Handbook. That would even out the telepathy issue.

And scent won't be overpowering because 2 other characters in the party will already have scent.

Benben

First Post
First Draft

Okay I had 5 minutes to look at the hyena. How does this look to people?

Kyree
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (13HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Darkvision 60’, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Move Silently +2, Hide +2, Listen +3, Spot +3, Telepathy +5, Psychic Shield +1
Feats: Psychic Ability, Telepathic, Alertness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (7–16)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By Class
Level Adjustment: +2

Combat
A favorite tactic is to send a few individuals against the foe’s front while the rest of the pack circles and attacks from the flanks or rear.
Trip (Ex): A kyree that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the kyree.
Kyree receive the Psychic Ability and Telepathy feats as bonus feats.

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
+2 to three physical stats
3 free feats
increased speed
+2 natural armor

This is a LA +2 if it were a humanoid. But since it is an animal who can't use wepaons or armor (at least easily) I would make it a +1 LA.

Khaalis

Adventurer
While I have not read the books, I will tackle this purely from a mechanics standpoint. Questions...

Why 2HD? Keep in mind that you are creating a Race "from scratch" it doesnt have to be an exact match to a existing animal. You could just as easily make them a 1HD creature with an LA. At 2HD + LA 2 = ECL 4. Thats pretty steep.
As for the LA, I would not go lower than +2.

Unbalanced stats = +1
Bonus Feats, Special Attacks, Special Qualities, Natural Armor, Natural Weapons = at least +1

Why Low-Light and Darkvision? If they are wolf-like, wolves cant see in total darkness.

Also since you are developing a Race, not necessarily an exact duplicate of the "animal", I would drop alertness as a bonus feat to trim some of the fat. They already get a slew of skill bonuses, you dont need to add the extra feat too.

As for the choice of Ronin's Psychic. Good choice. Decent system.

Remove ads