Help with Monk/X gestalt build

Runesong42

First Post
Hey all,
I am attempting to decide on a decent class to partner up with a Monk for a gestalt character. Ignoring alignments, can anyone help me with an 'interesting' combination that would allow for effective monk-ing, but also have an interesting RP reason as to why such a character might learn the two classes? I am ruling out Paladin/Monk (only because I'm tired of Paladins), and am interested in possibly a Monk/Druid, or a Monk/Psychic Warrior.

I am looking to prestige into the Soldier of Light found in the back of the Deities and Demigods book.

Scores aside, assume I can qualify for whatever feats will turn me into something cool.

Rules to use: 3.5 core, Psionics Handbook (not Expanded)

Last edited:

Mokona

First Post
Fighter/Monk is a good combo in order to get Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike). That would be a very combat oriented Martial Arts tradition (with lots of flexible combat feats).

On the other hand Monk is a great combo with arcane spellcasting classes that cannot wear armor (since Monks get such great armor class benefits). Depending on the spells you take this could be a very mystical/supernatural style monk. Thematically a good choice would be Wu-Jen/Monk.

two

First Post
A plain-Jane Monk/Druid Gestalt combo (with a good constitution) would be well-nigh unkillable.

Great saves, evasion, full caster, wildshape, wisdom-to-ac bonus, millions of free monk feats, synergies galore with monk abilities + wildshaped critter.

On the other hand, something you don't see too often: Monk/Bard. I know. Sounds stupid, but think about it.

Monk/Bard. You know. Monk + Bard.

Yeah, I know. It IS stupid. Forget about that one.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Monk/Druid is good; same stats are needed, and it's not like you're going to wear armor anyway (Hide? Please). Another amusing feature is you can pantomime the Dire Bear you've wild shaped into using martial arts stances. OTOH, you have the pain of using unarmed strike ("The bear leaps into the air and does a spin kick...) with natural attacks, which is a big, big pain (...and then claw/claw/bites you!"). However, that's a good sort of pain, potentially.

Monk/Rogue = Ninja! And gobs of damage when you flip out and kick them in the kidneys. Plus, metric boatloads of skill points! OTOH, you pretty much have to wear black pajamas.

Monk/Fighter will kick major tail, too. GWF and GWS: Unarmed Strike will be fun, and you have the feats to spare to use every tactical feat you can find.

Monk/Psywar is very good as well; bonus feats and even more Kewl Powerz, and, again, you depend on the same stats.

Note that you won't be able to go into Soldier of Light as written, as that requires you to be Neutral Good.

Brad

pbd

First Post
I've always thought monk cleric would blend well.

Kick some a$$, do some healing, and oh, by the way, do you want to convert? I have a pamphlet here somewhere...

Talic

First Post
Monk/Fighter is definately a potent melee combination(And if Alignments are not a problem, a Monk/Barbarian would be fearsome indeed!) Monk/Cleric or Monk/Wiz(or Sorc) can be very potent as well if you focus on buff spells and delivering spells via touch attack(rays made a decent ranged attack as well with the typical high dex monk).

With a caster combination, you can easily buff yourself crazy before or durring a fight. Things like Mage Armor, Enlarge Person, Haste are excellent bonuses for goin crazy on opponents. Delivering touch attack spells has the advantage of dealing your typical unarmed damage on top of any spell you're using. Spells such as Shocking Grasp, Ghoul Touch, or Vampiric Touch work nicely, or for the Cleric version, choose to weild negative energy for spontaneous touching of inflict wounds.

I myself am playing a Gestalt Monk 11/Fighter 6/Suel Arcanamach 5 brawling magehunter in a change of pace from our standard campaign. His minmal spell selection is focused on buffing himself, along with some general tactic countering spells such as Fly and See Invisibility. It's good fun.

Random Hero

First Post
Monk/Fighter

Monk/Fighter is the way to go on this one buddy.

The fighter base attack compensates for the one of the biggest detterants for playing a monk. The feats that you get from fighter (i.e. weapon spec) allow you to make a combat effective monk with a greater feat pool for prestige classing... You already get the good saves and sweet monk abilities, so base attack and feats are all you are missing...

From thier you have pretty much unlimited options as far as fighter or monk prestige classes go.

Enjoy, good luck! :D

Vargo

First Post
I'm a big fan of the gestalt Monk/Druid - Wisdom is your key stat on both classes, and you'll pump it like crazy. Wildshape is INSANELY useful as well, especially when you can wildshape into size large or huge critters for extra unarmed damage dice. If you really want to get crazy, go Shifter after Druid 5 and switch into whatever form works for you.

Thanee

First Post
Monk/Psychic Warrior sounds pretty Matrixylicious. The mental way.
A full base-attack class would also fit well, of course. The martial way.

How about Paladin?

Bye
Thanee

two

First Post
When playing a gestalt character, you have to have a very, very good reason to give up a full spell progression class (i.e. taking two non-spell casting classes).

I think it's painfully obvious that a Monk10/Druid10 gestalt would kick the tail of a Monk10/Fighter10, plus have millions of out-of-melee uses for the spells.

Spells in D&D are just mega powerful and useful. A wildshaped, animal-growthed Monk/Druid wading into combat or, if necessary, calling down spells from above (or up from below) makes me shudder.

Given that both Monks and Druids have a big dependence on Wisdom, and wildshape can take care of the other physical stats... this is a very stat independent build.

You can basically have Str=10=Con=10=Dex=10 Have a maximized Wisdom and some charisma and int for whatever. Then spend most of your time in a wildshaped form which has a good (or reasonably good) Str/Dex/Con. Done.

Remove ads