• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help!!

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
Well, I didnt take the ring. The wizard's player thanked me, I just glared at her and started mumbling. When we got back to our base, a different weapon was laying on the each of the characters bed. It had a note ontop of them that said 'When Demons and Angels side with eachother, the Devils with play.'

Kilmore

First Post
Dude! I would never kill you for ANY magic item! I mean it, really. I mean, unless you were already about to die and stuff, you know what I mean?

reveal

Adventurer
Bryon_Soulweaver said:
Well, I didnt take the ring. The wizard's player thanked me, I just glared at her and started mumbling. When we got back to our base, a different weapon was laying on the each of the characters bed. It had a note ontop of them that said 'When Demons and Angels side with eachother, the Devils with play.'

So, did you glare or did your character glare? Were you actually upset that you didn't kill a party member?

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
reveal said:
So, did you glare or did your character glare? Were you actually upset that you didn't kill a party member?

My character glared, I growled.

:D:D:lol::D:DDoes it look like I'm upset?:D:D:mad::D:D

And some more info I, the group and me, wasnt told.

Yair

Community Supporter
Bryon_Soulweaver said:
My character was given a choice, game was halted at the current spot. He has been given a chance go receive an artifact, the character's father forged it, made from the blood and bones of his father (a powerful demon that kept his human body after turning into a fiend in the Spawn Pits[the demon re-birth place; homebrew world] and has the power to match half-gods and immortals) and mythril.

The item is a ring that can create storms of fire, lightning, sonic, negative energy, acid and poisonis rain once a month and also acts as a universal ring of immunity. It also can cause reality to alter somewhat, limited wish twice a day.

The only drawback is that I would have to kill the party wizard, who is level 27. My character is CN and is sor12/wiz3/rog4 with a +6 LA advancement template. Should I take the ring or kill the team-mate, who cant be brought back to life.
I would under no circumstances kill a fellow player's character unless that player expects and wants me to (e.g. playing a traitor, a demon-in-disguise, or whatnot). Even then I'll be leery of it. [Well, unless I'm the DM, in which case a TPK is looming.]
If your games include the possibility of being killed by your team-mates, then I can't help you. I just don't and won't play in such games.

ARandomGod

First Post
I say it depends a lot on your character... really, what would he do? Most probably he wouldn't kill his friend. But what's the relationship between the two of you?

noretoc said:
just a personal opinion, but to me it looks like one of two things.

noretoc said:
a - this is a test of your loyalty to your friend and party members, and if you take the ring, it will probably turn out bad in the end.

Or, at the very least, YOU (the character) will turn out "bad' (evil). I mean, it's pretty clearly a trap/moral delimma set up there. Classic. It could be fun to play either way. You (both player and character) are probably 'better off' not accepting it... but it could make for some interesting role-play if you did. However I suspect (and from further reading it looks like I was right) that there will be an alternate reward that's just as good if you don't take the artifact (especially considering there could be any number of negative consequenses!)

noretoc said:
b - Your DM is a cad and you need to find another. Setting up situation where one player can have fun by making it less fun for another player is not a good way to run a game. Not even a average way to run. It is a BAD game.

Well. Possibly. But not necessarily. I mean the GM's a cad if he wouldn't do something to compensate the other player for his loss assuming the character who was asked to kill went ahead and did it. You've *always* got to plan for the eventuality of what if a player does something horrible. But it's very character defining to make the character DO, choose, be. That's a large part of what the game is all about IMO. Evil artifacts or creatures demanding the sacrifice of something near and dear is practically fantasy canon! NOT doing it would be evil on the GM's part!

It sounds like you made the right choice. Even if you had killed the wizard, how long would it have been before someone else in the party tried to kill you for the artifact? And it sounds like the DM has some sort of a plot hook going on here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads