D&D General Henchmen watching your stuff?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As a GM I don't mess with PCs stuff. If I do, they will take precautions that slow down the game and make me RP a bunch of sidekicks.
Precautions = good. Slowing down the game and having you RP sidekicks = part of the game.
Also, when they don't need those sidekicks to guard the wagon, they use them for lots of other things that always end up turning the party evil. If my players think a room is trapped, they will always find a way to get a sidekick spring it. Or if they think a local lord might be a vampire, they send a sidekick in as bait. It is like a compulsive behaviour, sidekicks turn them evil in no time.
So be it. Let them turn evil. You can always have that evil-ness come back to bite them later e.g. when they find the Sword of Holy Goodness and none of them can touch it without getting zapped; or they find themselves unwelcome in decent places such as Good temples, etc.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is one of those things I find terribly uninteresting. Either it never comes up, or it always seems to come up. How many times will the PCs bother with runaway thief followers? Or how many times will they leave a dungeon and find their followers throat slit and all their stuff gone before they just stop caring?

One of the best things about 5E is not having to rely on looting stuff to a stupid degree. No more stripping out the copper plumbing of dungeons to feed their magic smack habit.

niklinna

satisfied?
One of the best things about 5E is not having to rely on looting stuff to a stupid degree. No more stripping out the copper plumbing of dungeons to feed their magic smack habit.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This is one of those things I find terribly uninteresting. Either it never comes up, or it always seems to come up. How many times will the PCs bother with runaway thief followers? Or how many times will they leave a dungeon and find their followers throat slit and all their stuff gone before they just stop caring?
They'll have to keep on caring once word of the loss of their followers gets back to town and starts affecting their reputations as employers and-or just being trustworthy people; even more so if they lose followers on more than one occasion.
You might not have to rely on looting to the walls but does that stop anyone from doing it regardless? No. Hence all the IMO completely valid complaints about 5e systemically giving the PCs almost nothing to spend money on.

I mean, the whole point of adventuring is to get rich or die trying, isn't it? The point is defeated if getting rich carries no useful meaning in the setting and-or holds little to no useful benefit.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
They'll have to keep on caring once word of the loss of their followers gets back to town and starts affecting their reputations as employers and-or just being trustworthy people; even more so if they lose followers on more than one occasion.

You might not have to rely on looting to the walls but does that stop anyone from doing it regardless? No. Hence all the IMO completely valid complaints about 5e systemically giving the PCs almost nothing to spend money on.

I mean, the whole point of adventuring is to get rich or die trying, isn't it? The point is defeated if getting rich carries no useful meaning in the setting and-or holds little to no useful benefit.
I love the smell of progress in the morning.

Remove ads