Here Are Your Favourite TTRPG Podcasts of 2021!

As we do every year, we took public nominations and then asked everybody to vote for their favourite tabletop RPG podcasts of 2021! Thousands of votes later (in the TALK and ACTUAL PLAY categories), we counted down the results last week on our podcast! But for those who are looking for podcasts but don't want to listen to a podcast, here's the list in text format!

There are two categories, ACTUAL PLAY and TALK. The winner of each category each year enters the Hall of Fame!

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 2.17.24 PM.png

TOP TEN PODCASTS -- TALK

1 Miskatonic University Podcast
A podcast didcated to Call of Cthulhu and other Horror and Lovecraftian roleplaying games.

2 Modern Mythos
A podcast about the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game, writing, game mastering, and playing -- presented by the hosts, Jon Hook and Seth Skorkowsky.

3 Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff is the podcast of authors and game designers Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws. Stuff talked about includes hobby gaming, history, occultism, chrono-travel, food, cinema, narrative, art, politics, food, maps, Cthulhiana, and in fact any matter subject to jocular yet penetrating erudition.

4 Frankenstein’s RPG Podcast
Frankenstein's RPG. By Dave Paterson. In each episode as selected guests run through their RPG history and try to construct the perfect Role Playing Game.

5 Double DM Pod
DoubleDM is a Podcast focused on Meta Discussions involving TTRPGs. We discuss everything from how to Start a Campaign to Ending a Story, The Interesting Aspects of Combat, How to use Music, and a whole lot of other stuff. We discuss our ways of handling so you can find your own by evaluating our ways.

6 Macca Unchapped
A talk show delving deep into the dungeons of the TTRPG Community. No Tabletop Roleplaying topic is safe. With interesting and varied guests every week and candid conversation, Unchapped could just be the podcast you need to meet the real people behind the screens.

7 Beholder to No One
A Games, Hobbies and Dungeons & Dragons podcast featuring Nikki Yager and Greg Muriello.

8 Fear of a Black Dragon
This is a podcast about tabletop roleplaying game modules and setting books.

9 Orlanth Rex's Gaming Vexes
An irregular exploration of/reflections on ttrpg games I’m GMing or playing.

10 Vintage RPG Podcast
Vintage RPG is an exploration of the world of tabletop roleplaying games – new and old, familiar and strange.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 2.18.46 PM.png

TOP TEN PODCASTS -- ACTUAL PLAY

1 Sweden Rolls
Four actors play the best of swedish RPGs with one of Swedens most experienced and appreciated podcast GMs.

2 Ain't Slayed Nobody Podcast
Call of Cthulhu comedy-horror podcast riding through the American Old West. Saddle up as we turn femurs into mist and canteens into grenades. Tombstone meets The Thing meets The Adventure Zone.

3 The Old Ways Podcast
It’s a weekly Tabletop RPG show in an actual play format where a group of great role-players serve up their character’s experiences in new and published scenarios. We are currently recording our Call of Cthulhu group, but in the future we will invade other universes!

4 Grizzly Peaks Radio
An Actual Play podcast covering Call of Cthulhu, Tales from the Loop and others. Join me Andy Goodman from Expedition to the Grizzly Peaks and our rotating cast of gaming luminaries.

5 Roll For Romance
Roll for Romance is a sexy, silly podcast where romance meets Dungeons & Dragons. This 5e D&D real play podcast takes listeners on a fantastic adventure filled with magic, romance, and all the innuendos you could ever ask for.

6 Red Moon Roleplaying
We play tabletop roleplaying games set in dark worlds and turn it into a podcast. Our current campaign is "The Black Madonna" for KULT: Divinity Lost.

7 Tale of the Manticore
Tale of the Manticore is a hybrid between a dark fantasy audio drama and a solo D&D RPG. The dice make all the important decisions and, as a writer, my job is to interpret them and tell their story. Part fiction, part game, it’s the story where “Chaos rolls.”

8 Dames and Dragons
Dames & Dragons is a comedy Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition actual play podcast with a detailed original setting, lots of stupid jokes, a mystery or two, and some fumbling attempts at heroism.

9 The Billowing Hilltop
A Dungeons & Dragons actual play podcast. Ancient Brits play D&D 5E as they lurch headlong through the classic Paizo Age of Worms Adventure Path! Join us at our table for a mix of adventure, laughs and hapless incompetence. But mostly hapless incompetence.

10 Dice and Desire
Six friends go adventuring in this actual play Dungeons and Dragons 5e podcast. Listen to find out how they avoid a TPK this week!

Last edited:

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
Lots of CoC content up there…
It's a great result and we've done a post on our news blog congratulating them and thanking Call of Cthulhu fans for voting:

Sorry, maybe this is a stupid question, but after Exandria/Critical Role, could any original setting from any live-play streaming show/podcast become oficiall a D&D world?

Top 3 Talk are all CoC podcasts (although Ken and Robin talk about other RPGs too).

I didn’t vote, but I’ve certainly got new podcasts to consider now as I hadn’t heard of many of these before.

bennet

Explorer
Nice to see a list, always looking for podcasts. Fear of Black Dragon is my fav, top tier.
Vintage has some good insights, but a little juvenile in places or me.
I'll have to research the others, generally I look for people talking about module design.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases