• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here Come The PRESTIGE CLASSES! Plus Rune Magic!

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

It's a 5-level class, and also contains the basic information on how prestige classes work and how to join them - including ability, skill, level, and task-based prerequisites. Find it here.

Kithas

First Post
Personally I'm excited to see what they do with prestige classes this time around. Yes it has the same name as a monstrosity from 3e but that doesn't mean that it will have the same fate. This first one honestly seems pretty balanced against the opportunity cost but still worth the effort, as long as the creep isn't crazy strong I will definitely enjoy these. Remember Feats and Skills where nightmarishly complicated in 3e too and we have concepts with the same name that work just fine in 5e. Don't let the name scare you, judge the fruit.

Also for AL dm's
If they stick with the requirements for gaining prestige classes you just have to make sure that they don't find any Master Runes or a Master to teach them :/
That said they could bring over a character from another AL that already has those levels. Honestly I don't see it being that much of an issue.

Also for AL dm's
If they stick with the requirements for gaining prestige classes you just have to make sure that they don't find any Master Runes or a Master to teach them :/
That said they could bring over a character from another AL that already has those levels. Honestly I don't see it being that much of an issue.

One small issue I have with the requirements is that are requirments on both the player and DM side.
Meaning you canp end up with players designing characters with a intent to take a certain prestige class, but are dependent on the DM giving out the rp requirement.
On the other side you Might have a DM handing out the RP requirements becouse they fit the story of his campaign, but no players being able to make use of them becouse nobody meets the stat requirements.

Kithas

First Post
One small issue I have with the requirements is that are requirments on both the player and DM side.
Meaning you canp end up with players designing characters with a intent to take a certain prestige class, but are dependent on the DM giving out the rp requirement.
On the other side you Might have a DM handing out the RP requirements becouse they fit the story of his campaign, but no players being able to make use of them becouse nobody meets the stat requirements.

That could be contentious yeah, the stat reqs are pretty low so that shouldnt be too bad, and the dm can just make sure before he gives them out.
As a player I never assume I will get a specific magic item when building a character. For instance if I could guarantee I would get a scimitar of speed I would never do two weapon fighting for my fighting style. I will treat and explain prestige classes in the same way, it would be cool to get but you cannot bank on it so don't put eggs in that basket. If it's something you're interested in get the reqs and talk to your dm, but you have no guarantees so don't have expectations.

Henry

Autoexreginated
This is a weird thread because it seems like people are talking about 2-3 different things.
Very true -- I apologize for my part on the off-topic shenanigans. I'll sign off now. The prestige class idea isn't for me, but I do like the rune magic concept - for me it would work better as a cleric or wizard archetype concept - or perhaps as part of a Crafter class core, splitting into two archetypes, one for magical tinkering (artificers), and one for runic works (Runeworker). Artificers and runecasters in 3.5 were always built as tougher than wizards, kind of like Cleric progression, the two have a pretty strong thematic link, as they focus on object-based magic than innate magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauln6

Hero
I want to build my shadowmage so went back to 3e tome of magic to see how easily the shadowcaster could be shoe-horned into a prestige class but I came away thinking it looked easier to make it a new warlock pact.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
This class could easily be a sub class of a different class or even a couple of Feats.

I could see the Warlock be adapted to a Rune Mage of some kind too.

I just hate Prestige Classes. Unless were talking FantasyCraft. That game did them right.

GobiWon

Explorer
This is awesome! I'm always eager for more character options!
To people worried about bloat: Just remember that you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

"If you don't like it don't use it" is a cop out. If a player who is excited to play the newest official race or class or use a new official option can't because you told him no, the DM looks like a wet blanket. The player insists that his vampire pixie psion is perfectly legal and he doesn't understand why he can't play it in your game. You can try to explain to the player why you won't allow it but you come across as a stick in the mud. Bloat breaks systems to the point where the core game become unplayable. More rules equals more moving parts and a higher likelihood of broken rule sets. Broken rule sets make new options overpowered. They no longer mesh with the normal fantasy arch-types of fighter, wizard, rogue, and cleric that the original game was built upon. It ruins the game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
"If you don't like it don't use it" is a cop out. If a player who is excited to play the newest official race or class or use a new official option can't because you told him no, the DM looks like a wet blanket. The player insists that his vampire pixie psion is perfectly legal and he doesn't understand why he can't play it in your game. You can try to explain to the player why you won't allow it but you come across as a stick in the mud.
So, rather than bear the horrible stigma of 'stick in the mud DM,' you'd rather /no one/ ever get to have that excitement about a new shiny, and no DM ever have the chance to accommodate them?

Bloat breaks systems to the point where the core game become unplayable. More rules equals more moving parts and a higher likelihood of broken rule sets. Broken rule sets make new options overpowered. They no longer mesh with the normal fantasy arch-types of fighter, wizard, rogue, and cleric that the original game was built upon. It ruins the game.
Yep, all very awful. But, in 3.x, which arguably had it worse than any other ed, /and/ had a community in the full grip of RAW obsession, DMs ran core-only and E6 games.

And, however much new additions to 3.x may have been broken, the occupants of Tier 1 didn't change much since the PH first hit the shelves. Wizards, CoDzilla, and eventually the Truenamer. All those other oh-so-broken bloat-classes, lower tier.

5e is not going to bloat at it's current pace the way 3.5 did, even if they add the PrC concept, we won't three 300+ of 'em. We'll see a handful a year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads