• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here we are, born to be kings, we're the princes of the universe

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Gundark said:
So it was good?

I though it was, yes. I mean, it wasn't brilliant or anything, though it was 100% functional, simple enough to learn in an evening, and managed to do a kind of alternate reality Highlander very well right out of the box. I have no idea if it was ever formally reviewed by anybody without an agenda. I do know that several bitter Highlander fans 'reviewed' it in forum posts which basically amounted to lambasting the authors for 'stealing' from Highlander.

Any suggestions for a system to run a immortals game with (and why would you choose that system)

Honestly, I can't think of any system that is specifically designed to handle ageless characters mechanically-- that is, I can't think of a system with specific rules for flashbacks, knowledge spanning centuries, etc. Not even the Vampire games support these things mechanically (well, the knowldge bit, though it's very poorly done). This being the case, I think that Danny's suggestion of HERO or, for that matter, any generic system that you happen to personally take a shine to is what you should use.

[Edit: Wait. I can think of one game that provides specific mechanical support for ageless characters -- Nephilim. But it's really not at all suited for anything resembling Highlander.]

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I'd recommend Mutants and Masterminds (2e) because it covers the mechanics for being an immortal (ageless, recovers from injury, permanently killed by decapitation) very easily and in a balanced fashion (so you can have regular humans that are on par with some immortals, though you certainly don't have to). It lets you have rules for crazy supernatural powers if or when you decide to introduce such into your game, and they too are balanced and fair.
That said, M&M has no special mechanics for flashbacks, or how to handle the rewards of such. Personally, I'd award a useful piece of information and a single Power Point for a successful flashback (success includes involving the other players) but that's just a suggestion.
Of course, none of this has to matter. If the players are all immortals then you can just make their immortality a plot device, or a common trait they all have on top of everything else. That would allow you to use any rule set you desire (including original Deadlands, which would be awesome for this) and have all the fun you desire.

As for the threats of the past, while you may not be able to permanently kill the character, you can cause him to have a much more traumatic past filled with more failures and fewer resources/allies to use in the present, if he fails in a flashback.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
HERO actually does have an Immortality power- its actually quite inexpensive & minor. You don't have any immunities, you just don't age. Its all the other stuff- your ability to come back from mortal wounds unless beheaded, your wealth (if any), your knowledge skills, your overall skillset- that gets pricey.

Jurgen Hubert is a real GURPSophile- ask him if GURPS has something similar.

Remove ads