Here's A Look At The Cover Of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition!

Cubicle 7 has confirmed that Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition's release date is "mid-2018", with a specific date to be nailed down later. They've also shared the covers of both the Starter Set and the Core Rules!

Cubicle 7 has confirmed that Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition's release date is "mid-2018", with a specific date to be nailed down later. They've also shared the covers of both the Starter Set and the Core Rules!

WFRP Corerules Cover 1200.jpg

Many will be aware that the game was originally slated for a late 2017 release. Cubicle 7's Dominic McDowall talks about the delayed launch date:

“The initial plan was to make some small updates to the awesome second edition, and that would mean we would be able to release the game in 2017. We’re all huge fans of the first and second editions of WFRP, and we wanted to take the game back to those roots.

“When I got into the guts of the game I started seeing more opportunities to add in some of the things we’ve learned over the years. This more creative direction meant a longer development phase. Games Workshop are extremely supportive of us taking the time we need to make WFRP Fourth Edition the very best game it can be, and so that’s what we did. I’m very excited about the way things have come together!

“The release date of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months. Thank you for your patience while we invest the time to make the best game we can.”

WFRP STARTER Cover 1200.jpg

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I like the nod to the original cover ... but I dont like it. The poses feel awkward and the rat ogre looks silly and not menacing. I do like that it is skaven they are fighting because that is very warhammer. I like the elements but the execution in the underlying drawing is not there for me. The paint work is nice.

Nawara

Explorer
"Skaven are just a myth, a story told to scare children"... and then there are Skaven on the cover of the core book.

Skaven are such a poorly-kept setting secret that the best way to get the feel right as a GM is to decide that they DON'T actually exist, and were just a brilliant deception campaign to cover up an entirely human conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruemere

Adventurer
WFRP 1st ed was my first serious RPG. As such, I love the homage, but I'm worried they are going to keep too much of the old system. It had its share of quirks, and the world moved on since.

Oh, and the new cover does not convey several little pieces that made the original so stunning:
- the mohawk haircut - it was so 80s. It was intentional, it stood for the spirit of anarchy. Roman-like helmet does not come close.
- the "hey, check this critical" smile of a warrior realizing he stopped the ogre in its tracks. It's a step away from a grimace of pain and horror (note the spiked ball flailing away). In comparison, the lady just has her mouth open.
- the way armor is too big for the dwarf, and how the dwarf on the original cover appears to be strong without going super-saiyan buff.

The new cover is better in terms of architecture - I never bought beastman motifs - the chaos folk destroy, not build stuff. The clothes are also looking better.

Anyway, triple cheers for the initiatives, and hopefully, there will be new quality instead of rehash of old stuff.

Regards,
Ruemere

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Right now I am liking Zweihander but will be following this and I am hoping for expansion of the WFRP world and not just re-releasing updated material, put out new stuff!

I have never played Warhammer Fantasy, although I am familiar with it due to internet osmosis. However, for what it is worth, the cover does not seem to fit the "grim, grime, and blood" that said osmosis has brought me to associate with Warhammer Fantasy.

Remove ads

Remove ads