D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

Staffan

Legend
Yeah. It would be trivially easy to say the Druid has a magic item that lets her wildshape into an owlbear.
Or just reclassify any monstrosities that don't really have anything magical about them as beasts. The list of candidates isn't actually as big as I thought it would be – a look through the list of monstrosities on D&D Beyond shows:

Bulette
Girallon
Griffon
Hippogriff
Owlbear
Purple Worm
Roc

Yaarel

He Mage
Or just reclassify any monstrosities that don't really have anything magical about them as beasts. The list of candidates isn't actually as big as I thought it would be – a look through the list of monstrosities on D&D Beyond shows:

Bulette
Girallon
Griffon
Hippogriff
Owlbear
Purple Worm
Roc

Yeah, that is my preference. If its statblock and ecology is that of an animal, then by definition it is a Beast.

Heh. If it quacks like a duck, ...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing

Bulette
Girallon
Griffon
Hippogriff
Owlbear
Purple Worm
Roc

Or, write a feat!

Improved Wild Shape
Through a combination of natural talent and practice, your wild shape ability improves.
Prerequisite: Wild Shape class feature
You gain the following benefits:
  • Your Wisdom score increases by +1, to a maximum of 20
  • You gain one additional use of your Wild Shape ability per day.
  • The following creatures are considered Beasts for you, for the purpose of your Wild Shape ability only: Bulette, Girallon, Griffon, Hippogriff, Owlbear, Purple Worm, and Roc. All other restrictions for your Wild Shape ability still apply.

Ok it's a little funny that Szazz Tam, the lich dictator, is less bigoted on race than his predecessors.

He has no predecessors, he was one of the founding Zulkirs, it's just that he no longer has to share power with other Zulkir's as a peer among equals, he's above the Zulkirs now. I think it's that over time he's grown beyond the bigotry he likely grew up with as a Mulan, the difference between living races is nothing compared to the difference between the living and sentient undead.

Or, write a feat!

Improved Wild Shape
Through a combination of natural talent and practice, your wild shape ability improves.
Prerequisite: Wild Shape class feature
You gain the following benefits:
  • Your Wisdom score increases by +1, to a maximum of 20
  • You gain one additional use of your Wild Shape ability per day.
  • The following creatures are considered Beasts for you, for the purpose of your Wild Shape ability only: Bulette, Girallon, Griffon, Hippogriff, Owlbear, Purple Worm, and Roc. All other restrictions for your Wild Shape ability still apply.
You still wouldn’t be able to Wildshape into a roc, they’re CR 11.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My initial response was "is that dragon drunk?" before I realized it was a black dragon, and I'm not sure that's the response they were looking for. No one who isn't familiar with D&D dragons will understand why it isn't breathing fire, so that means there is gonna have to be at least one line of dialogue where they have to explain D&D mechanics to the audience- which are just throwaway lines of exposition. I really hope they don't have too many of those.
They don’t need to explain it at all. It’s a dragon that pukes acid. It’s explained by showing it.

Your wife understanding it was acid has nothing to do with the fact that there will be some guy who needs to tell the audience that it's acid. Just like whenever the Mimic shows up, someone is going to say "It's a Mimic!", or when the tiefling shows up someone will have to say "You know what a Tiefling is, dontcha...", etc.
The idea that a character in the film needs to speak a line of dialogue to explain acid, or mimics or whatever else, is silly.

We have the owlbear line in the trailer because it’s mildly amusing in the midst of a great action sequence, not because it matters that audiences know what the monster is called.

They don’t need to explain it at all. It’s a dragon that pukes acid. It’s explained by showing it.

The idea that a character in the film needs to speak a line of dialogue to explain acid, or mimics or whatever else, is silly.

We have the owlbear line in the trailer because it’s mildly amusing in the midst of a great action sequence, not because it matters that audiences know what the monster is called.
The quote is literally explaining what the monster is called.

Remove ads

Remove ads