D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

OB1

Jedi Master
Just listened to the entire ComicCon panel, and while they were asked a question about a cameo from CritRoll or Adventure Zone, I'm pretty sure who they ended up referencing was Joe Manganiello and his Arkhan the Cruel character as they mentioned a well known D&D player's character. Not sure if there was another interview that mentioned a cameo by CritRoll.

Urriak

Explorer
Those ears aren't that pointed tho. I have a fold in my ears that make them look a little pointy like that - could just be the guy's ears.

If they are elves it's more likely they're Shadar-Kai because the devs were working closely with the movie folks and I doubt if they wanted a new look for the drow they'd use the same look they're using for Shadar-Kai.

Ok, I'll concede that maybe it's just the image making the guy look like he's got pointed ears. That said, they're certainly going into the Underdark in this movie, so we'll probably get an answer on how the film handles drow and duergar. As others have said, the city is probably Gracklestugh as the chonky dragon is likely Themberclaud from Out of the Abyss.

1658530654954.png

1658530738123.png

Personally I really hope they don't use ebony/purple duergar or drow.

Emrico

Adventurer
This article is exactly what I was hoping to see. For this movie to be a mainstream success, this is what it needs. People who only know of D&D from watching Stranger Things or hearing people talk about playing seeing the trailer and thinking that it looks fun and makes them want to see it. Looks like the trailer nailed it for this guy.

Because all but the most cynical and bitter people that actually play will be going anyway.

pukunui

Legend
View attachment 254848

I'm pretty sure that's going to be the movie's version of Drow. Pointed ears, likely in the underdark... and yes they're not purple/ebony, but I think everyone with half-a-brain would know having ebony drow is a disaster idea. To be clear, I think it's best they went with the Romulan-evil look instead.
I am fairly certain those are Thayan warriors. They've all got bald tattooed heads and dark eye makeup, just like Daisy Head's Red Wizard. My guess is they were sent to stop the heroes from recovering that helm.

Interestingly, his forehead tattoo looks similar to the one that Regé-Jean is sporting. They're not identical, and Regé-Jean's still reminds me more of the Rage of Demons logo, but the similarity is still striking ...

Screenshot 2022-07-23 111243.jpg

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
This article is exactly what I was hoping to see. For this movie to be a mainstream success, this is what it needs. People who only know of D&D from watching Stranger Things or hearing people talk about playing seeing the trailer and thinking that it looks fun and makes them want to see it. Looks like the trailer nailed it for this guy.

Because all but the most cynical and bitter people that actually play will be going anyway.

This was me with Ironman back in the day. Growing up I was an X-Men fan, and never got into or knew much about the Avengers characters like Ironman, Captain America, Thor, etc, but the first trailer for that film got me to give it a chance and then I was hooked.

Emrico

Adventurer
Now?

Because the actors in fantasy movies were hideously ugly at some point? Tom Cruise in Legend? Mathew Broderick in Ladyhawk? Cary Elwes and Robin Wright?

I don’t really see a whole lot of difference here.
I'll even toss in some more niche fantasy movies that still had actors/actresses who were considered attractive.

Beastmaster
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Hawk the Slayer

And then going more mainstream wide appeal...there was no one in the main LotR cast that was hideous either.

Even stuff that was complete schlock like The Warrior and the Sorceress or Masters of the Universe didn't cast ugly actors.

I am fairly certain he's a Thayan warrior (not a Thayan Red Wizard). My guess is that he and his fellows glimpsed being killed by Regé-Jean's paladin in other scenes are Thayan warriors sent to stop the heroes from claiming that magic helm.

Interestingly, his forehead tattoo looks similar to the one that Regé-Jean is sporting. At first, I thought he had the Rage of Demons logo on his forehead, but I haven't been able to see a clear enough shot. All I can say is both tattoos have a similar lower part.
Which makes it seem likely that he might have escaped from Thay and grew out his hair to cover the tattoos. Which would make it personal for him. Vengeance Paladin?

pukunui

Legend
Which makes it seem likely that he might have escaped from Thay and grew out his hair to cover the tattoos. Which would make it personal for him. Vengeance Paladin?
I'm almost certain he's a vengeance paladin, and yeah, an ex-Thayan who has grown out his hair and beard (perhaps not just to cover his tattoos but in defiance of the Thayan cultural hair taboo) makes a lot of sense. Plus "Xenk" as a name sounds kinda Thayan ...

On a different note, do these symbols mean anything to anyone? I don't recognize them, other than that the symbol on the helm looks vaguely like the Rod of Asclepius, which isn't a symbol I associate with FR at all.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 112038.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-23 112205.jpg

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm almost certain he's a vengeance paladin, and yeah, an ex-Thayan who has grown out his hair and beard (perhaps not just to cover his tattoos but in defiance of the Thayan cultural hair taboo) makes a lot of sense. Plus "Xenk" as a name sounds kinda Thayan ...
Another Thayan tattoo, this one on the Red Wizard. Great catch on Xenk, I think you're spot on there.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 162533.png

Remove ads

Remove ads