• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Jaeger

That someone better
Two of those are from the core rulebooks, the other two are from recently released settings.

Because D&D is not and has never been just one thing and nor does it try to be. I mean look at how D&D religion works: Ancient Greece meets 70's crystals meets a children's picture book of polytheism.

Like a Swiss watch.

You can trot out all the exceptions to the traditional ren-faire medieval aesthetic you want: From optional content in the dmg, to stuff from supplements. (Actually a bit surprised that you didn't mention the time traveller and his musket in the current CoS adventure.)

That doesn't change the fact that D&D had a Fantastic Medieval Aesthetic, since the beginning.

And it will not stop people from continuing to use "Medieval Fantasy", as a generic term in forum discussions about D&D, with everyone knowing what kind of aesthetic they are talking about.

I will readily concede the in the 5e era there seems to be much more of a push in the art direction to a very ambiguous "Fantastical Fantasy" look, which will absolutely have an effect on D&D fandom. (And already has...)

Reactions: ezo

ezo

I cast invisibility
They aren't going to make PHB art based off your low magic house rule world...
Apparently they aren't going to make it off what most people think of when they hear the word "wizard," either.

I mean, put her on the ground, place the staff in her hand, get rid of the glowing eyes (hey, keep the glasses if you want to! ;) ), remove the "radiating light", and it would be great.

Just maybe that it’s time for the old guys to let the power pass to a new generation…

:)
Or maybe just you dang kids get off my lawn!

:D

Or better yet, why not have both? The wizened old wizard and the younger accomplished wizard? A scene where she could be coming to his rescue or something would be cool IMO. Or even a group image with all sorts of different types of wizards?

Vaalingrade

Legend
That doesn't change the fact that D&D had a Fantastic Medieval Aesthetic, since the beginning.
No, no amount of facts will ever stop people from being wrong. Like thinking this piece of art is anywhere approaching anything someone who knows what it is would describe as 'anime'

I will readily concede the in the 5e era there seems to be much more of a push in the art direction to a very ambiguous "Fantastical Fantasy" look, which will absolutely have an effect on D&D fandom. (And already has...)
3e and the Dungeon Punk aesthetic called; they'd like a word. The charge is going to be a lot since it's from twenty-five years ago--half the lifespan of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads