• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Zardnaar

Legend
1. I, too, can pick artwork from decades ago to define a concept and 2. I am entitled to an opinion you disagree with without you having to selectively choose 15-20 years ago to "clap back". You see you missed where I was merely expressing a preference and you are trying to objectively correct me on a subjective topic. Also Kovacs used to be a MTG artist. Nowhere do I say MtG art is bad etc. For reference 2023 art for MTG. Bye now.

View attachment 353985

That second one is telling time in guild pact. Loved that art.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
It's been decades since tired old men defined what a wizard is. And, honestly, beyond that you could probably have found some classic fantasy wizards in the pulps that were women and POC.

Your desire to see the perpetuation of tired stereotypes is transparent and shameful. Please move on so the rest of us can enjoy what fantasy's future holds.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's been decades since tired old men defined what a wizard is. And, honestly, beyond that you could probably have found some classic fantasy wizards in the pulps that were women and POC.
Dying Earth has you covered there, depending on how you define those stories. And wizards in Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser never look like Gandalf. Most of them look like late-stage DCC wizards.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Here's the thing.

How can some people complan about D&D being too superhero but want the wizard class picture to be an "old archmage"?

A youngish wizard with glowing eyes is perfect for inspiration for a mage who only learned fireball 2 levels ago.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not disagreeing with any of that, but it made me pull "Songs of the Dying Earth" from my shelf.

"Every now and again I've noticed myself crafting a Vance sentence, and it always makes me happy when I do-but he's not a writer I'd ever dare to imitate. I don't think he's imitable.
There are few enough of the writers I loved when I was 13 I can see myself going back to in twenty years from now. Jack Vance I will reread forever."
- Neil Gaiman
I think this Gaiman kid is going places.

Zardnaar

Legend
Here's the thing.

How can some people complan about D&D being too superhero but want the wizard class picture to be an "old archmage"?

A youngish wizard with glowing eyes is perfect for inspiration for a mage who only learned fireball 2 levels ago.

Glowing eyes is kinda silly imho but last thing I want to see is old man wizard with long whitebeard. Boring.

Robes are bad enough as well. I'll give Gale a pass on the robes because he has a cat.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Man I can't WAIT until the Ranger art show the ranger using MAGIC.

Glowing eyes and afterimages and stuff.

Woo! My Pitchfork stocks will skyrocket. I'm going to Jamaica.
I'm waiting for a fighter being depicted as doing anything more than a basic sad attack. If you think showing a wizard casting a spell not clearly labeled as one of the ones in the PH is false advertising...

mamba

Legend
You can say that, but...that's not hoe genre lines are usually divided.
so you think the MCU falls under fantasy and superhero is no separate genre with its own tropes and styles?

Honor Among Thieves chased the MCU vibe with good reason, same as OD&D riffing on Marvel comics.
HAT might have chased the MCU in terms of storytelling, story wise they are both ensemble casts that lean into humor, but stylistically the two were pretty different for me. There is no way I would mistake HAT for a movie in the MC Universe. The Wizard picture on the other hand, I can absolutely see as an MCU character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads