Hero Forge Custom Color Mini Kickstarter Is Live - And Funded!

Hero Forge 2.0 Kickstarter is live and kicking. Fully funded and unlocked all stretch goals with 30 days to go.

Hero Forge 2.0 Kickstarter is live and kicking. Fully funded and unlocked all stretch goals with 30 days to go.

HeroForge2-0.png

$39 for one mini, $75 for two, $149 for four, $219 for six, $350 for ten, $5,000 for 125, $10,000 for 250 (and yes, people have backed those last two levels!)

dave2008

Legend
Geez! When I first found this a few hours ago it was at less than $250,000 and now it is over $630,000!

EDIT: With one $10,000 backer and three $5,000 backers

pogre

Legend
Oh I disagree in general. Some of the side by side images from far away make the pro-painted minis look worse. But when you get a close up they are much more detailed with more distinct shading int he pro-paint style.
Fair enough. The hand painted are better than the color plastic. I'll give you perhaps even $20-$30 better, but $110 better? Not even close. That's why I said they are not impressive. I would expect more from a $30 commission, let alone a $100+ commission.

Differences of opinion make life interesting and all that.

I'm not the intended audience anyway. I am just super-impressed with the technology!

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is a case where too much success might be a bad thing. They hinted at a delay, but they're gonna have to move their expected delivery dates. Right now they have it in June. I know how long it takes to print a 3D mini (and that's solid color, not multicolor)--several hours, and so far, they're looking at over 10,000 minis just from backers. That is going to take a long, long time to fulfill. Looks like they might be able to get a dozen or two dozen minis in the same batch. But still...

Backers probably need to be aware that they will be looking at long delays. Which is cool, as long as they know that up front. I'd hate to have June come and go and a lot of backers get really upset. Reaper kickstarters are about a year from success to fulfillment. I know that's a totally different beast, but it shows gamers are willing to wait on minis.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Fair enough. The hand painted are better than the color plastic. I'll give you perhaps even $20-$30 better, but $110 better? Not even close. That's why I said they are not impressive. I would expect more from a $30 commission, let alone a $100+ commission.

Differences of opinion make life interesting and all that.

I'm not the intended audience anyway. I am just super-impressed with the technology!

It can take 2 hours or so to hand paint a mini. I don't know how much each painter makes, and how much the company keeps, but do you think painters deserve a living wage for work only a few people can do?

Big Bucky

Explorer
None of them actually look like the initial model they released. the hand painted version of that is not that great. Those eyes are haunting.

Hand painting that many minis is a huge undertaking assuming they aren’t farming it out to a Chinese factory. Touching up the 3D printed ones would make a lot more sense.

I’m actually interested in how much the portraits are going to be. If they look good that seems like it’s going to affect a lot of the artists who do custom character drawings.

Fenris447

Explorer
It does look kind of awesome, although I'm going to assume that the example they give was touched up.

Even if they are, this kind of hits the sweet spot for me. I don't mind the shading/washing/grittying(?) stages of painting minis. But getting to that point from a single colored, unpainted mini is tedious and horrible for me. So if I can pay $35-$50 for the majority of that work to be done on a custom mini that I can then put the finishing touches on, I'm totally in.

Remove ads

Remove ads