Heroes #24:I am Sylar/Season 3/2009

LightPhoenix

First Post
:lol:LOL...well played sir! I will watch until the season finale. When I get invested in something I tend to want to see it out to the finish.

The breaking the camels back comment was more about the fact I found myself through out this weeks episode, recognizing it was much better than many of the episodes this year....and not caring........emotional I just have an enduring lack of interest in Heroes. I have stopped watching a show I love due to lack of time, change in schedule, lack of TV set....but never have I had a show just drive me away......I find it odd and kinda sad.

I've actually had much the same feeling about Heroes. More often than not I'm indifferent to discussing the actual episodes. I contrast this with the first or even second season, where I'd have all sorts of stuff to say.

Honestly, I'd rather see Heroes get the axe due to Leno's new show than some other shows (ie Life). That won't happen, of course.

Krug

Newshound
I liked the way it came together, though the SWAT guys really set a new low in competency. Sylar going all Norman Bates/mom thing didn't quite work that much for me, but at least Quinto managed to pull it off.

I liked the way it came together, though the SWAT guys really set a new low in competency. Sylar going all Norman Bates/mom thing didn't quite work that much for me, but at least Quinto managed to pull it off.
The biggest drawback of the whole shapechanging stuff? Someone else but Quinto has to pretend he's Sylar, reducing Quintos screen-time and forcing someone to act like him.

I am not a big fan of this "identity crisis", especially since the relationship to Danko is still off.
Though generally, that Sylar has to do some soul-search about the fact that he killed his mother is... natural.

It appears to me as if Nathan got the stupidity gene now - what does he believe he can achieve against Sylar? With a gun?

I hope that Danko failed to kill Sylar is not just a result of his incompetence to hit the right spot, but of the fact that the supposed flaw of the regeneration ability actually is wrong.

For me, I am waiting till the end of the season before quitining. I may not quit, but they would need to pull off an incredible final episode next week to keep me. They need to have a cool battle, reset Sylar, mindwipe most people, and do it without a deus ex machina, all in 1 hour. Personally from past experience I don't think they can pull it off, but I will give them this one last shot.
I think mind-wipes and resetting Sylar are pretty much deus ex machina.

Maybe Sylar just has to die, as much as I love the character?

But in the end, they can mindwipe the characters and the population in the show as much as they like, they can't mindwipe you. So whether the characters forget or not is irrelevant, what they need to do is improve on their writing, avoiding making characters unreasonably stupid (if they make mistakes, they should be due to incomplete information, misinformation and misdirection of others.)

I think it would have been very well possible to display Danko, Nathan, Sylar and HRG as strategic thinkers that manipulate each other and the rest.
But the only guy that gets real manipulation done is Sylar. But that doesn't work that well with his identity crisis.

LightPhoenix

First Post
That one single act will immeasurably improve the show.

I fall into the camp that believes Sylar should have died at the end of the first season. However, I don't think that killing Sylar off will do anything to improve the quality of the show. In fact, I think Quinto is a pretty good actor, and losing him would hurt the show.

The problems that I've had with episodes aren't the result of one single character. Rather, it's the writing. When characters get utterly banal storylines, of course we're going to hate the characters.

Removing Sylar from the awfulness that is Danko, this episode could have been a fascinating look into the head of a serial killer. I think the shapeshifting/losing identity thing is a pretty neat way of conveying it. The problem with this storyline is that we've already seen it a couple of times now. There's nothing really new here, and that lessens the impact. Now that the mystery of the why is gone, there's nothing really compelling about the character, and that's writing issue. That's why I said above that I hoped Micah would push Sylar towards sacrifice; having Sylar continue on without change is just boring. It doesn't help that they're moving towards the 5YG future, which we've also already seen.

Richards

Legend
I hope that Danko failed to kill Sylar is not just a result of his incompetence to hit the right spot, but of the fact that the supposed flaw of the regeneration ability actually is wrong.
I was thinking that maybe Sylar had used his shapeshifting powers to move his brain stem a little bit to the right or something, so that the "hit me here to kill me" spot is no longer exactly where it used to be.

And speaking of shapeshifting, I see that Sylar is now able to shapeshift the clothes he's wearing when he changes his physical form - something that the original guy with the shapeshifting powers was apparently unable to do.

Johnathan

WhatGravitas

Explorer
The biggest drawback of the whole shapechanging stuff? Someone else but Quinto has to pretend he's Sylar, reducing Quintos screen-time and forcing someone to act like him.
That one single act will immeasurably improve the show.
Well, yeah, these two things contrast each other starkly, no? The character Sylar is worn out, outplayed... and right now, I start to think they should just rename the show "Sylar".

On the other hand, Quinto *is* compelling to watch. While my enthusiasm for Heroes went down, scenes with Sylar are still fun to watch. They're pretty much the main reason why I actually keep watching it at least casually (Parkman can be fun as well, but is a bit... anemic without Daphne, HRG has lost his touch, Ando & Hiro have some good scene occasionally, but the writers seem to hate "competent Hiro").

Cheers, LT.

Krug

Newshound
Losing Sylar won't improve the show. I think all superhero stories need a villain, and Sylar's a pretty good one.

It's more that for the hero side, there's very little to root for, as others have pointed out.

DonTadow

First Post
Losing Sylar won't improve the show. I think all superhero stories need a villain, and Sylar's a pretty good one.

It's more that for the hero side, there's very little to root for, as others have pointed out.

True the show has many problems, but I'd say the fact that they have not established a serious contender for the next villian in four arches is a major concern. A big part of that is the show's unwillingness to kill off or get rid of Sylar. Sylar is a great character, but he has worn out his welcome. They have done all they can with him and are now just finding ways to do the same thing with him in different ways. He's already gone emo,but now its because he's haunted by his mom.. as opposed to before when it was because he wanted to know his dad... as opposed to before when he wanted to have a real mother etc. You get the picture. I wouldn't mind seeing sylar come back in a one shot a couple years from onw, but the best thing for the story is to move it in a different direction.

I do like that finally powerful powers are being regulated with a drawback. hopefully this will take away from the inconsistancies in powers.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
And speaking of shapeshifting, I see that Sylar is now able to shapeshift the clothes he's wearing when he changes his physical form - something that the original guy with the shapeshifting powers was apparently unable to do.

That's right. He was Mister "costume."

Remove ads