D&D 5E Heroes Feast---holy moly this is an uber spell

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, it's kind of situational, but the benefits you get from it are HUGE. It lasts 24 hours, and grants immunity for up to 12 people to poison, disease, fear, and grants adv on WIS saves and extra HP.

I'm playing an 11th level tempest cleric in HotDQ and let's just say before we went to take on a green dragon in its lair, I cast that spell and it made all the difference. What very well could have been a TPK turned out to be a relatively easy encounter. Even the immunity to fear alone makes it completely worthwhile when planning on going up against any dragon. The immunity to poison (against not only the dragon, but the spiders right before the dragon) saved probably over 200 points of poison damage.

Yeah, it's kind of situational, but the benefits you get from it are HUGE. It lasts 24 hours, and grants immunity for up to 12 people to poison, disease, fear, and grants adv on WIS saves and extra HP.

I'm playing an 11th level tempest cleric in HotDQ and let's just say before we went to take on a green dragon in its lair, I cast that spell and it made all the difference. What very well could have been a TPK turned out to be a relatively easy encounter. Even the immunity to fear alone makes it completely worthwhile when planning on going up against any dragon. The immunity to poison (against not only the dragon, but the spiders right before the dragon) saved probably over 200 points of poison damage.

Is that 200 points of damage before or after you account for Protection From Poison, which you would otherwise have been using?

Uder

First Post
The PCs in my group don't mind the cost. They're currently 16th level and going through Labyrinth of Madness, so it's worth every copper.

I have no plans to nerf it, but IMO the immunity to poison should only be against the condition, with resistance vs. poison damage. Just a side-effect of 5e splitting up poison into two effects.

RulesJD

First Post
Is that 200 points of damage before or after you account for Protection From Poison, which you would otherwise have been using?

That's only advantage and 1/2 damage. HF is immunity, which makes a word of difference. It also targets multiple creatures and lasts for more than 1 hour. Prot Poison is a great spell of course, but it's apples to oranges.

My table at this seasons Epic used it. Made the "dragon" fight laughably easy.

Mercule

Adventurer
Yes, it's powerful. However, it does cost 1,000 gp per cast, so it's hardly a spell you can use in a routine situation.
I've read some commentary that not having the 3E (implied) idea of a magic item market or the 1E idea of building a stronghold really leaves the PCs with a lot of loot and nothing to spend it on. Is this the case? If so, why not drop some of it on hero's feast whenever in doubt?

My group hasn't hit 11th level, yet, but they already seem to have more money than they need. Another zero on the end might be enough to justify it.

Staffan

Legend
I've read some commentary that not having the 3E (implied) idea of a magic item market or the 1E idea of building a stronghold really leaves the PCs with a lot of loot and nothing to spend it on. Is this the case? If so, why not drop some of it on hero's feast whenever in doubt?

My group hasn't hit 11th level, yet, but they already seem to have more money than they need. Another zero on the end might be enough to justify it.
Mine hasn't gotten to 11th level either yet, but the treasure tables (according to those who have done the math) would indicate that each PC should have gotten about 25k gold by then (minus, of course, whatever they spent along the way). The way I see it, that puts a 1,000 gp expense in the "we can do it without too much trouble, but not routinely" category.

Remove ads