• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes Must Rise! [Erekose13 Judging](Concluded)

Patlin

Explorer
Using the scouting ability of his Arcane Eye, Iggy is able to lead the group around the Magmin and avoid what would likely have been a hazardous encounter. It adds 10 minutes to the travel time, but the group manages to reach the higher ground without incident.

From the rise, you can see to the northeast a city of some kind, and to the northwest a large (but apparently inactive) volcano. Towards the top of the volcano, the ground is apparently not scorched, as vegetation can be seen.

70 minutes of travelling through the lava swamp means 7 more saving throws each. I'll roll for Iggy, Planus and Opale since they've put their bonuses in the posts above:

Planus: DCs 16, 17, etc. (1d20+7=8, 1d20+7=22, 1d20+7=21, 1d20+7=20, 1d20+7=21, 1d20+7=27, 1d20+7=15) = two missed saves this group, 3 total. nonlethal damage due to heat (3d4=10)

Iggy's Fort Saves (1d20+7=26, 1d20+7=9, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=22, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=21) 5 missed this group, 6 total. Iggy's nonlethal damage from heat (6d4=11)

Opale's saves v Heat (1d20+6=21, 1d20+6=8, 1d20+6=10, 1d20+6=12, 1d20+6=9, 1d20+6=13, 1d20+6=22) 5 missed. Opale's nonlethal damage (5d4=16)

Patlin

Explorer
Everyone is feeling hot and miserable at this point, and while the higher ground is cooler its still uncomfortably hot.

SRD said:
A character in very hot conditions (above 90° F) must make a Fortitude saving throw each hour (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a -4 penalty on their saves. A character with the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and may be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well. Characters reduced to unconsciousness begin taking lethal damage (1d4 points per hour).

(Also, I didn't include the -4 penalty on the three I rolled, which means they took off any heavy armor. If you want the armor still on, calculate any extra damage and let me know.)

Dalamar

Adventurer
OoC: Wonder if that "heavy [...] armor" is supposed to be read as the armor category, or as a general description. Or, to be more specific, does breast plate count as heavy for this?

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy grumbles about his arcane eye expiring, and the fact that he only prepared one such spell when he should had prepared two. He misses Sara, but knows she wouldn't be much help now. At least she'd have something positive to say.

"I have a clairvoyance spell, but its distance is insufficient to view either the city or the volcano top. Personally, I distrust the city. We don't know what we're looking for, and we would likely attract trouble there. I'd prefer to investigate the volcano top first."

Iggy does look through his spyglass at each of the possible destination, looking for movement.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I think we need to read it as "armor of any sort" so a breastplate counts. Either construction is arguable gramatically, but a breastplate seams heavier than heavy clothing, at least in my opinion.

Remove ads