• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

3.5 HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 5

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

New Logo 001a.jpg


Presenting...

TELLERIAN HAWKE'S
GREYHAWK: THE GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: CY 963
THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER FIVE

The party has rested again, gaining a full night's sleep, and has re-gained all of their spells.
There was a single encounter during the night; a pack of 5 regular Wolves found the campsite, but kept their distance, because of the number of people in camp. They moved on rather quickly, in search of easier prey.

Current Time: Patchwall 23, CY 963 9:00 AM

The party is in the staging area at the end of the tunnel. Dewydd has just finished casting his preparatory spells.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
OOC: Sylvar uses his knowledge of Spellcraft to identify the spells that Dewyyd cast. Sylvar rolled a 33


"...Everyone gather within 10 feet of me. I'm going to cast invisibility sphere. Anyone who stays within ten feet of me will not be seen unless they attack. It will gives us the time and ability to enter the fortress undetected."

Sylvar then casts Invisibility Sphere on himself.

Sylvar recites:
"...Obscure as if dark;
Anonymity,
Hidden in plain sight."


An iridescent field can be see emanating from Sylvar. The field expands to envelope everyone and disappears into the rock of the cave. Unbeknownst to the party the field creates a ten foot sphere and then dissipates, rendering everyone within invisible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
XP Award Time!

GM:
XP Awards:

The following xp awards are for everyone EXCEPT Respen, who was not present:

Whole party: Roleplay: +1,500 xp. ea.
Whole party: Healing the horses: +500 xp. ea.
Whole party: Interrogate dead Giants: +750 xp. ea.
Whole party: Discovery of the Giant fort: +750 xp. ea.
Whole party: Scouting the fort: +750 xp. ea.
Whole party: Ambush of the Ogre patrol: +1,050 xp. ea.
Whole party: Reunification bonus: +2,500 xp. ea.


WHOLE PARTY (EXCEPT RESPEN) TOTAL: 7,800 xp.



Vega only: Interlude (What happened?): +1,000 xp.



Lathir only: Brilliant spell strategy vs. patrol: +1,000 xp.
Lathir only: Roleplaying bonus: Initial reaction to Nel: +2,500 xp.
Lathir only: Extensive roleplay w/ Nel: +1,000 xp.
Lathir only: Scouting as a Vulture: +500 xp.
Lathir only: Tam’s inheritance: +500 xp.
=========================
LATHIR TOTAL BONUS: 5,500 xp.

=========================



Sylvar only: Rhyming ballad 30 lines long at DM’s request: +2,000 xp.
Sylvar only: Extensive roleplay w/ Nel: +1,000 xp.
=========================
SYLVAR TOTAL BONUS: 3,000 xp.

=========================



Tam-Tam only: Fear of / fascination w/ Nel: +750 xp.




Dewydd only: Making DM laugh (flirt w/ Nel): +1,500 xp.
Dewydd only: Noticing name discrepancy: +500 xp.
========================
DEWYDD TOTAL BONUS: 2,000 xp.

========================



Vale only: Use of spells (Augury, Burrowing, Stone Shape):
+1,000 xp.




The following xp awards are for Respen only:

Negotiations w/ Clare: +2,500 xp.
Keeping your sworn oath: +750 xp.
Compassion / mercy for Nel: +750 xp.
Compassion / mercy for Ky: +750 xp.
Negotiations w/ Laramon: +750 xp.
Obtaining help (scrolls) from Clare: +1,000 xp.
======================
RESPEN TOTAL XP: 6,500 xp.

======================

Supplemental Info From Nel (Chapter 4, Last Page):

Dorinda's wand was a Wand of Hold Person.
Dorinda's ring was a Ring of Protection +4.

Supplemental Info From Respen's Identify Session (Chapter 4, Last Page):

The wand was a Wand of False Life (3rd Lvl Caster, Sor/Wiz, 1d10+3 extra hit points, duration = 3 hours or until discharged in combat.)
The Ogre Leader's ring was a Ring of Protection +1
The Ogre Magi's cloak was a Cloak of Resistance +2


 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Supplemental Info From Lathir's Aerial Patrols

The following layout was gathered by Lathir, with his keen, Vulture's eyesight, while patrolling the sky over the last few days.

There seem to be three structures: a main building, a smaller building, and a tower. There are indeed other entrances to the place; there are gates on the North wall and on the East wall, both of which lead into the rear courtyard of the place.

However, it should be noted that the courtyard is inhabited by 14 Dire Wolves, who are constantly running, playing, and resting in the courtyard.


Giant Fort From Above 001a.jpg






Lathir has also noted other doors, as indicated on the map.

The tunnel comes out at the rear of the fort, on the Western side, about 20 yards away from the wall itself. This position is OUT OF VIEW of the Orc encampment.






000-An-Aerial-View-Of-Tunnel-Exit-001.jpg






And remember, here is the cross-section on what the tunnel exit looks like:

000 - Cross Section of Tunnel-Cliff-Underground Room.jpg



EVERYONE: What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
More Supplemental Info About The Fort [PART TWO]

GM: Here is another map, that shows "close to scale" (I eyeballed it) distances between the tunnel's exit point, the cliff face, and the fort.


Detailed Distances For Fort And Tunnel 001.jpg


GM: At a slow walk (Double Move, 60', which will allow the party to stay together easily within the Invisibility Sphere) it will take two rounds (12 seconds) to cover the distance between the trap door and the West wall of the fort.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
While the party is standing around in the staging area, Nel reaches behind her, and opens a flap on her backpack; she then draws out a nice-looking, Mithral short sword, which doesn't look as if it should have fit properly. She re-buttons the flap, and holds the sword at-the-ready in her right hand.

She smiles at Respen, "Just trying to be prepared."
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Alright if everyone is ready we should get going. The Giants aren't going to kill themselves. Sylvar looks at Respen, Lathir and Nel... Unless you have a spell for that....Sylvar chuckles to himself.The decision we need to make is whether we go for the closer door or the double doors.
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Villager
Kleborn: He thinks for a moment, and says "if we all need to stay together to remain invisible, would it be better to go through the double doors?"

Thallok: Thallok notices Nel taking out her sword, and says, "Good thinking, female one." He draws his falchion and says "Whatever we decide, let's be quick about it. I have not used this sword in a long time."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Explorer
Tam-Tam whispers to Sylvar with a devious glint and a conspiratorial smirk, not really caring if the others hear, he just doesn't want the dire wolves to hear, knowing they have the keenest ears of all:

"Friend Sylvar, just find me a spot to sneak around and make my moves and I'll do my part for good and all."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As the party is taking a moment to contemplate what to do about the Dire Wolves, everyone hears the beginning drops of rain on the false door above; within seconds (6 seconds, or 1 round, to be exact) the drops intensify to a downpour. It is raining again.

GM:
Spells have now lost 1 round of their duration. It is now raining HARD. Visibility of the Orcs and fort defenders will be lessened (as will yours), and the sound of the rain will serve to drown out all but the loudest of noises.


EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"Now is as good a time as any to go. Let's bring some bastards to murder." With that, I move into the rain. "My spells won't last all night," I add with a chuckle.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar follows Dewyyd into the rain. He walks slow enough to make sure everyone can keep up, but fast enough to cover the ground from the tunnel to the palisade wall quickly...Out of curiousity Sylvar looks through the space between the poles making up the wall.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir, suddenly realizing where he is, returns to the tunnel, jogs back up to the overlook, shifts into an owl, and takes flight over the fort.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sylvar said:
Sylvar follows Dewyyd into the rain. He walks slow enough to make sure everyone can keep up, but fast enough to cover the ground from the tunnel to the palisade wall quickly...
It takes four rounds (24 seconds) to cover the distance (60 yards) to the gate, at a pace where everyone can stay together and stay invisible.

Giant Fort From Above 001b.jpg

GM:
A total of 5 rounds have now elapsed from all spell durations.


Sylvar said:
...Out of curiosity Sylvar looks through the space between the poles making up the wall.
Sylvar, when you look through the gap, you are surprised to see, just on the other side of the gate, an impressive-looking Hill Giant, wearing what looks to be a shirt of masterwork chainmail---it must be so, because the links are wrapped individually in leather, which is excruciating for an armorer to execute---holding a whip, ordering the Wolves inside, into wherever the single door (see map) leads. The Wolves seem glad to come in out of the rain, but they give the Giant---or is it his whip?---a wide berth. The Giant also wears a massive Greatsword on his back, and wears a black, metal helm with purple stars painted on it.

As soon as the last Wolf is inside, he follows them in, closing the door behind him. The courtyard is now empty, and deathly quiet, except for the noise of the rain.

[sblock=WHAT LATHIR SEES IN FLIGHT]
As this is happening, Lathir flies over the fort in the form of an owl, cursing silently to himself about how difficult it is to fly in the rain. Lathir notices that the guard in the tower is awake, but not really paying attention; he is huddled in a corner, wrapped in his cloak, trying to stay dry. It is doubtful that he can see anything from his present position.

Lathir also notes that there is one, lone guard remaining in the courtyard, just on the other side of the gate. He too, is huddled up in a cloak, his club lying on the ground, albeit in easy reach. He is leaning against the palisade wall, but thankfully, not against the gate itself.

GM:
Lathir, you have another 3, maybe 4 rounds at the most before you will be forced to land due to wet feathers.

[/sblock]

GM:
A total of 6 rounds have now elapsed from all spell durations.


EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam-Tam, hangs close, like glue, to Sylvar, until he finds the opportune moment (to take care to alllow for any reinforcements against his other friends and party members), follows where Sylvar leads --- at the moment.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Once More into the Fray

As this is happening, Lathir flies over the fort in the form of an owl, cursing silently to himself about how difficult it is to fly in the rain. Lathir notices that the guard in the tower is awake, but not really paying attention; he is huddled in a corner, wrapped in his cloak, trying to stay dry. It is doubtful that he can see anything from his present position.

Lathir also notes that there is one, lone guard remaining in the courtyard, just on the other side of the gate. He too, is huddled up in a cloak, his club lying on the ground, albeit in easy reach. He is leaning against the palisade wall, but thankfully, not against the gate itself.
~Ah, this rain is detrimental to flight. I will need to land very soon.~

Having to make a decision as how to best serve the rest of the party before he falls from the sky, Lathir / Owl decides to take action to the guard leaning against the wall. Finding great fortune in the removal of the dire wolves, he swoops toward the guard to try to come upon his blind side. Just before landing, about 3' from the ground, Lathir / Owl lifts his wings almost unnaturally, shifting to human form to land on his feet and hopefully employ his spear by surprise.

OOC: In the few moments he has before being forced from the air, Lathir will cast Bull Strength and Cat's Grace upon himself.
Initiative: 1d20+8 23
Attack: 1d20+10 24
Attack: 1d20+6 23

**that 1st attack should have been +11
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale - Entering the Fort

The previous evening, after Respen identifies the wand, cloak, and ring, Vale gives the Wand of False Life to Sylvar to accompany Dorinda the Succubus' Wand of Hold Person. "In case we need it. It's arcane magic. If you can't use it, let Respen carry it; perhaps it'll help us." He hands the ogre mage's Cloak of Resistance +2 to Kleborn. "This should adjust to fit you. "He keeps the Dorinda's Ring of Protection +4, affixing it to his left middle finger. He places the ogre leader's Ring of Protection +1 into Respen's portable hole. "I'll use the succubus' ring unless someone has an objection. We shall return these to our spoils once we finish this place. In the meantime, we should use all of the tools, weapons, and magicks at our disposal. Giants are, by and large, not the smartest villains; however, what they lack in creativity they make up for in strength and general meanness. Something that is important. The mage we encountered may not be their only sorcerer. And they are an order of magnitude smarter than an average ogre. We need to take them out of the fight as quickly as we can, should we run into another." Vale is in his element, planning the tunnel, setting about securing camp, and dispensing valuable items to assist in their next engagement.


~ Let's begin this, shall we Mr. Copperbeard? ~

Vale comes out of the hole, seeing Lathir move back up the tunnel, after settling the horses who see Lathir leave. The druid certainly has a way with animals. That pleases Vale, as he has always found animals often to be better company than people. Vale silently places the cover of the makeshift trap door into place, and he moves up behind the others, wary of the roof of the guard tower to the south, to the doors on the north side of the fort, and to the corner, lest some orcs decide to do something new and patrol the outside of the place. They hadn't seen anything approaching that the last few days. Would be unlikely, but poor luck nonetheless if they did now.

He moves up to the left flank, east of the main party, quietly approaching the doors.

~ Methinks we go this way. What you say, Val? Secure this part of the fort, and then deal with what's inside? ~

OOC: Normally, thoughts would be in RED; however, Vale is communicating with Val the Axe; therefore, despite being thoughts, I put the communication in BLUE, but with ~/~ bracketing the thought.
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen to The Fort

Respen has been so preoccupied with assisting the party (largely because he wants the party to actually trust him, instead of thinking he is either criminally naïve or magically compelled, that he didn't say much to Nel. As the group leaves the bunker and moves toward the fort, as she pulls her sword, Respen smiles at her "...ready..." comment, and kisses her gently. He gazes at her for shorter than staring, but longer than simply a glance. "You look ready. You'll do fine. Don't get in a hurry, and resist the urge to move in." He moves a strand of hair away from her tiara and mentally communicates with her.
~ I didn't mean to be distant this morning. My parents were very formal in their relationship, and I'm not very experienced in...this. ~ He puts his forehead to hers.
~ And I don't mean to overstep and tell you how to manage battle. I simply want you to be safe. ~

Respen sighs gratefully as the rain begins, and now whispers to Nel, " It will make it harder to see us or track us. Let's be about this. "
He knows that she must not be used to rain and weather as is on the surface.

He moves quickly, holding her hand as she lets him, pointing first toward where the guard tower is, and then the north gate. As Sylvar moves to look through breaks in the outer fence, Respen has his back opposite Tam about 10' behind him, ushering Nel to watch the northeastern corner of the fort from a few feet east of Respen. He leaves the northwestern corner to other party members.

OOC: Respen Spot & Listen checks to see Lathir fly into the yard and shape change, attacking the guard inside #1d20+9=21/18 respectively in Dice Room GTGE-CHAP5


Respen sees a small blur drop into the yard, and a 'snikt' sound, not entirely sure what he witnessed, given the weather and heavy rain. He thinks for a moment, and his staff appears in his hand.
He moves to the fence on the other side of the gate and peeks into the yard himself.
OOC: I am unsure based on the angle and where this second guard is whether Respen can see Lathir doing his thing.
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam, keeping with Sylvar, awaits the chance for attack, especially sneak attack, and plans his next moves according to the basic overview of the castle grounds and structures provided by Lathir. He grips his rapier and dagger until his knuckles turn white, but only for a moment; then, Tam relaxes his grip, holding them "loose but tight", firm but not clutching, in the way of the assassin, as he was taught by the Guild.

If anyone was looking, they would see that the oft boyish mien of Tam-Tam had taken on an aged look: jaded, serious, determined, focused and --- murderous.

Yes, If anyone was looking, they may no longer have recognized their whimsical, little partner for the cold killer he now seemed to be. This was business, the kind he had trained for in the Guild known as The Church in Willip-town, and Tam meant for business to be good, not just for himself but for these, his, band of brothers (and sister? --- hmm, a Drow sister...). The distracting thought of Nelvandra nearly softens his hard visage into one of whimsical pondering, but Tam quickly retains it back --- and in full.
 

Advertisement

Top