• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Shadow: Assassins, Hexblades, and Necromancers!

Obryn

Hero
I think we'll have to wait and see, but I don't see something like this as incompatible with continuing the PHB line.

This looks to be a darker, more optional supplement for groups who want things like assassins and necromancers. Kind of a BoVD-lite.

-O

Obryn

Hero
The essentials line is mostly new stuff. The major exceptions are the tile sets and the Rules Compendium. The player oriented stuff is new.
I just want to note that New Builds != New Powers and Class Features. :)

I have no idea what will be in the Essentials line, but I am right now thinking it will contain some new material and a lot of reprinted stuff.

-O

Solvarn

First Post
Essentials

I'm sort of curious if Essentials isn't testing the waters for a new edition sort of like Book of the Nine Swords did at the end of 3.5E.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
To Fanboy: The races may not be new, but hopefully they'll incorporate recent trends in racial stats/traits.

That said, I'm looking forward to Heroes of Shadow. I'm thinking they went this route because they didn't have more primal/psionic classes to introduce yet, and (almost) everybody teased them for giving us ANOTHER divine class in PH3. By focusing only on shadow power source, they can introduce the appropriate races (kenku, shadar-kai, revenants) with their classes and have enough room to provide plenty of feats within that same genre.

Rechan

Adventurer
I hope the essentials don't have any new content, or at least new content that's good. I paid good money on my Player's Handbooks, and I'm not going to buy a book that is mostly the same with a little bit of new added in. If every class has entirely new options, feats, and powers, then yeah, I'd love that. But from a gamer who doesn't use DDI, buying a book just for a few feats and powers isn't going to happen.

And if it's just a rehash of the builds, why not just errata it? I personally don't mind an onslaught of rules updates as long as it's making the game better, and I don't have to pay for it. =)
The Essentials line is not for those of us who have all the 4e D&D books. The Essentials line is meant for newbies who are overwhelmed by 1) the amount of books, 2) the cost of thsoe books, and 3) the amount of reading necessary to get involved in D&D.

Rechan

Adventurer
I thought the assassin was EXCLUSIVE to DDi? :erm:

Also, I was under the impression the Essentials line would continue solidly for x number of months, and then they'd go back to their hardcover stuff.

So I doubt we'll see this before we see a PHB4. Which makes me wonder how we'll see these before the Essentials book, or if they are being debuted here.

Interesting that the Shadow power source only has three classes in it. I wonder which roll is missing.

The Little Raven

First Post
I thought the assassin was EXCLUSIVE to DDi? :erm:

...until it gets put into a book. It was planned to be an exclusive when they announced and released it, but no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Also, I was under the impression the Essentials line would continue solidly for x number of months, and then they'd go back to their hardcover stuff.

It looks like they're experimenting with format in the main line. Looking at ways to lower prices, perhaps.

Interesting that the Shadow power source only has three classes in it. I wonder which roll is missing.

It's still early. We could get updated info that throws in a fourth class. Or maybe in another class experiment, one class will be be one of two roles, depending on build. Or they could be actively spurning symmetry.

Rechan

Adventurer
And if they spur symmetry, I'm just curious which role they'd leave out.

I do think the Hexblade as a heavy armored striker would be interesting. But that's very unlikely (two strikers and the Necromancer); the Hexblade will be a defender.

So ultimately it comes down to: is the Necro a leader or a controller?

Obryn

Hero
Well, we know the Assassin is a Striker.

Unless they're fooling us, the Hexblade will probably be a Defender. I find Leader unlikely, but possible.

That leaves the Necromancer as a Controller or a Leader. I think the former is much more likely; I don't see Necromancers getting any kind of Encounter healing ability like every other Leader does. Also, Summons and anything which calls more things onto the battlefield are generally a controller's forte.

So if these three classes are all she wrote, I'd say there won't be a Shadow Leader yet.

-O

Remove ads