• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Shadow: Assassins, Hexblades, and Necromancers!

Rechan

Adventurer
Well, we know the Assassin is a Striker.

Unless they're fooling us, the Hexblade will probably be a Defender. I find Leader unlikely, but possible.

That leaves the Necromancer as a Controller or a Leader. I think the former is much more likely; I don't see Necromancers getting any kind of Encounter healing ability like every other Leader does.
Healing used to be in the perview of the necromancy school. Also, necromancy is playing with both the body and the soul. A necromancer channeling life energy/forcing it to flourish in a target, or literally forcing their wounds to close (in a sort of stopping blood from flowing by forcing it to clot) in a sort of biomancy kind of way would be interesting. How does this strike you:

Rotting Word
You channel necrotic energy and force shed blood from the battlefield back into the target, and seal their wounds with dead skin. An aura of decaying magic lingers on the target.
Minor Action (Close burst 5)
Special: You can use this twice per encounter, but once per round.
Target: You or one ally.
Effect: Target can spend a healing surge, and until the end of your next turn, the target gains necrotic resistance and deals necrotic damage equal to your wisdom bonus.

An alternative would be the target gaining temp HP, represented by dead flesh providing some means of softening it up.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I'm with Obryn:

The Assassin is definitely a striker (no surprise there)
The Hexblade is probably a defender, but might instead be a leader.
The Necromancer is likely a controller, but might instead be a leader.

While I guessing that both the Hexblade and the Necromancer both have the former for their primary role, I wouldn't be surprised if their secondary roles are "leadery" - analogous (but obviously not the same) to the way a Palladin is a "leadery" defender, or an assault swordmage is a "strikery" defender.

So, my guess (based on no evidence at all, admittedly) is that the Hexblade will be a defender with a build that is more controllery, and one that is more leadery.

And for the Necromancer, that one build will be more leadery, and one more strikery.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This is in the "list" (see sig) and we have speculated on a it a little bit.

As for the essentials line: it will have new stuff, and errated stuff, and many of us will buy these products. (sorry).

As for this, and the essentials line: essentials are the new way to get into the game, and the options books may very well be the way to keep going. There may not be a PHB IV, or at least not one for a long time.

We will learn more from Gencon.

Obryn

Hero
I'd need an excellent reason to buy any core Essentials books instead of just picking through the good parts with the Compendium and Character Builder.

The biggie on my own radar is the Monster Vault, because I loves me some monster tokens. Also, expanded fluff and updated stat blocks would be worth having in hard-copy.

With that said, I'm sure I'll peruse them at the local bookstore or FLGS to see what I think.

-O

Markn

First Post
Regarding the Necormancer, role may very well depend on what type of necromancer they are modeling it on. In previous editions, necromancers could mean wizard or they could mean cleric. If its the former, then I doubt it would be a controller - my guess would be leader in the form of minion followers because I vaguely remember some WotC guy talking about playing around with this idea. If its the latter then my guess would be - well I don't know, it could be anything.

I think it would be solid gold if the necromancer could spontaneously create/animate/summon undead with the shadow power source and move them around and they were something akin to minions. For one, it would be unique, for two, it really fits the theme of necromancer and for three it would set it apart arcane/divine sources while still being in line with the assassins shroud abilitites.

Go, go necromancers go!

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I agree that having a "minion summoner" sounds pretty cool, though that does sound more in tune with a controller's mechanic than a leader's.

bagger245

Explorer
Thing is, the hexblade and necromancer fills 2 out of the 3 roles. Why can't the make another class to fill it up? Sure they don't want symmetry ala Martial, but martial controller is a bit hard to pin down due to power source, if not I am sure they would have made one already.

For shadow power however, it is much easier to create fluff with the usual "it's magic" excuse to enable us to have all 3 roles filled. If they can make the monk a psionic striker, they can make anything..

Markn

First Post
I agree that having a "minion summoner" sounds pretty cool, though that does sound more in tune with a controller's mechanic than a leader's.

I guess it depends on how they do it I suppose. I was thinking of leader-y based on possibly moving/sliding them, healing them along with allies and so forth. Either way I think it would be total coolness.

Myn

First Post
I guess it depends on how they do it I suppose. I was thinking of leader-y based on possibly moving/sliding them, healing them along with allies and so forth. Either way I think it would be total coolness.

Another option came into my mind, though I doubt it will happen; A necromancer as a defender that defends from the back, summoning minions and other creatures to take the hits for the party; probably with a sort of spirit-companion like deal with his minions so he has to feed them his own lifeforce to sustain it. Would be breaking the mold, to be sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads