• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of the Elemental Chaos Excerpts

Take the Janissary in the themes preview. Insignificant bonuses combined with rare conditions makes the 5/10's near useless and the encounter power just doesnt work as written.

Do you mean "Melee 1" vs. "you charge an enemy"? I scratched my head when I saw that one. Maybe they wanted to prevent polearm charges? (Seriously, I have no idea why it's written that way.)

Marshall

First Post
Do you mean "Melee 1" vs. "you charge an enemy"? I scratched my head when I saw that one. Maybe they wanted to prevent polearm charges? (Seriously, I have no idea why it's written that way.)

Exactly that. It seems that much of whats been released in the last 18mos has had some kind of glaring mechanical defect or just been an OP(Mage) or UP(Witch) version of what already exists. Even the "good" books, like HotFW, have several "What the?" moments in them.

Pour

First Post
Exactly that. It seems that much of whats been released in the last 18mos has had some kind of glaring mechanical defect or just been an OP(Mage) or UP(Witch) version of what already exists. Even the "good" books, like HotFW, have several "What the?" moments in them.

I don't entirely disagree. I was a little underwhelmed by the Janissary mechanics. The fluff of this book has been outstanding, but this small piece of crunch is kind of...

So what do you guys say, fan errata BEFORE the book is out?

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
I sorta wish that we'd gotten a lot of these books at the start of the 4E run (and themes) instead of what we actually got. The Heroes of X books would've been great right off the scotch.

Instead we got builds and monster books that aren't really useable anymore. Bleh.

Incenjucar

Legend
Wizards have the unfortunate fate of being completely uninteresting as a class because all of their features are in their souped-up powers.

Which really just makes true elemental classes all the more interesting to me - creating walls of fire is awesome, but they keep giving that stuff to wizards instead of something interesting.

Remove ads