• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of the Sundered Realms of Midgard

Balrog

First Post
Greetings all!!

This is the initial foray into the story hour of my homebrew campaign, the Sundered Realms of Midgard. The campaign takes place in a world that is rebuilding itself 1800 years after the epic battle of Ragnarok. The surviving Norse Gods are joined by newer Deities.

This campaign has been progressing since May 2002, other than 6 months that I was away on active duty in the military. The characters are currently at least 11th level, with a couple being 13th level. I plan on posting notes from the earlier sessions as kind of a prologue, with a few more detailed posts scattered in there. You see, I had started writing up sessions for the players and my own benefit to keep the drama going, and to help the occasional absent player keep up with what happened. But I wrote infrequently at times, and some times I would write on more general topics, such as the history, religion, major NPCs , geography, races, and classes of the world. So at times the writing will be dry, sort of prologue style. Other times I will post actual notes I sent out to the players after a session, with much more detail. I shall see how that works out.

DISCLAIMER: I call this a "homebrew", but I have borrowed, appropriated, stolen, whatever you want to call it, certain places, people, things, etc that I thought belonged in this world. so it is with a certain amount of reservation that I present any of this as my work. It is being posted my me, and has been played by me and my players, but I have been much to busy in the past and present to create every facet of this campaign world. I borrowed heavily from Necromancer Games, Scarred Lands, Fiery Dragon Productions, and others. Having said that, I hope this is as enjoyable to read here as it was to play.

I guess the best place to start would be with a description of the Player Characters of this campaign:

Rythannian-- Air Genasi and son of Sir Jaycin Threefingers, hero of Kalendia. Half-brother of Phadian, although they did not meet until by chance as adventurers. Bears the mysterious Amulet of the World Serpent. A wizard and loremaster of increasing power. Also possesses some roguish skills. His superior intellect tends to make him difficult to be around, as he sometimes sees others, even his companions, as tools, or pawns.

Phadian Gess--Half-Elven Ranger and Holy Warrior of Freya. Son of Sir Jaycin Threefingers and Riannon, Elven Priestess of Freya. Expert with bow and at home in the wilderness. Grew up in the Fairhill region under foster parents who were murdered in an orc raid. Considers the Druid Cuhulain a mentor of sorts. Just realizing his heritage and history.

Parkadius the Valiant-Paladin of Arda, God of the Wulgash people of the Kingdom of the Crescent Moon. Apparently on some kind of holy mission to find lost relics of his homeland and faith. Seems to be a born leader with great Courage, Charisma, and Influence. Spearheading the mission to return to the Burial Halls of Sif and Forseti. Rides a Hippogriff mount.

Galdar of Stormhaven-(NPC)Human Priest of Forseti. Has been with Rythannian and Phadian since the first days, following visions sent from his deity about the Amulet. A source of much ancient knowledge, and the strong but silent glue of the party.

Rocbul-Earth Genasi Fighter and former farmer. In battle can be uncontrollable when he embraces his beastly, berzerk fury. In the early days he was driven by his hatred of Orcs, his hated enemy. That fury and hatred has been transferred entirely to the Icefiend Raznarth, who deceived him and tried to use him.

Desprys-Dwarven Runemaster from Burok Torn. Has a great interest in ancient relics and sources of power, including Rythannian's Amulet. Considers the well being of his Dwarven Kin to be top priority, his companions a close second. A brilliant strategist and general in combat.

Draugimir-Dwarven Fighter and Battlerager, brother of Desprys. Fights best beside his Dwarven kin, especially his brother. Fearlessly battles any foe, whether it be Orc, Giant, Hag, or Fiend. The "tank".

Drakin-the newest member of the party, a Half-elven Druid/ Lion of Talisid who has an animal companion named Cliff, an awakened celestial Dire Lion. Drakin is an associate member of the reclusive Citadel of the Path, a neutral organization devoted to the opposition of Fiends in Midgard. He came to the party to help protect Rocbul, who has been revealed as a descendant of Dydd, an ancient and powerful Druid.

There have been other PCs along the way, dead or alive, but these are the core characters throughout the campaign. I started the campaign quite simply with The Wizard's Amulet and the Crucible of Freya.

Last edited:

Balrog

First Post
I should post a note here about the races of this world.

Humans fall into 2 groups: the Northmen, and the Wulgash (a swarthy people that are refugees from a dying world).

Elves are either Moon Elves(Drow) or Sun Elves, followers of the Vanir. Moon Elves are said to be the original race of Elves in the distant past, and they resisted the principles of Frey and the Sun Elves, namely love of agriculture and nature. Instead, the Moon Elves are masters at smithing, mining, and engineering. The Sun Elves love music, nature, the woods, the sea, and art. The Sun Elves fall into 3 categories, High Elves, Wood Elves, and Aquatic Elves. All Elves have a deep affinity to magic, although Moon Elves tend towards sorcery more than wizardry. (I use Drow out of the Sword and Sorcery Burok Torn sourcebook)

Dwarves are either Durin or Mosgonder, and there are also rumors of evil Dwarves deep beneath the Earth that have fallen under Hela's domain. The Durin are typical Mountain Dwarves. (I follow the guidelines out of the Burok Torn sourcebook) The Mosgonder are known as Shield Dwarves, and have an affinity with the peaceful aspects of the wilderness and nature, and as such tend towards Druids and Rangers.

Halflings and Gnomes are typical.

Half-Orcs are typical.

The world is also dotted with Genasi of various types, due to the elemental parenting which is quite common.

Other various races have not come up yet for PCs, but Half-Dragons are not rare, nor are Half-Fiends or Half-Celestials.

xenoflare

First Post
whee!

wow! Norse legends rock! Will you be featuring anything about Magni in your New Gods arc? He's my favourite young deity in the post-Ragnarok saga.. and the genasi elements rock too, i've always prefered them to tieflings and aasimar. Are you using the same stats for genasi in your game, or are there any special house rules you're adopting?

Looking forward to updates soon!

Yours,
shao

Balrog

First Post
xenoflare said:
wow! Norse legends rock! Will you be featuring anything about Magni in your New Gods arc? He's my favourite young deity in the post-Ragnarok saga.. and the genasi elements rock too, i've always prefered them to tieflings and aasimar. Are you using the same stats for genasi in your game, or are there any special house rules you're adopting?

Looking forward to updates soon!

Yours,
shao

Yes, Thor's sons Magni and Modi are present in the religion of the world. Magni is sort of Thor's heir apparent, and the strongest being in the universe, and still wields Mjolnir, as well as Thor's magic belt. Modi is patron of berzerkers and battle.

The genasi are same as the rules out of Dragon Magazine and the FRCS, with some specialized feats thrown in (from Dragon also, I believe)

Balrog

First Post
I did not follow all the suggestions from the Deities and Demigods for the post-Ragnarok scenario. Nor do I know how well this follows actual Norse myth. It does not matter, as I had a purpose to how I did what I did in my campaign. Some Gods survived that were not supposed to survive, and of course I mentioned that there were newer Gods that arose.

The most powerful Deities are those that have some Elemental aspect to their portfolio. Here is a list of the Deities in my campaign, and this is by no means all-inclusive, as their are Quasi-Deities and some Demigods left out.

The Aesir

Balder NG
Forseti LN
Magni CG
Modi CG
Sif NG
Vidar CG
Frey NG
Freya NG
Frigga N

The Elemental Gods:

Kossuth LN
Akadi NG
Ramos CN
Hela NE

and others

Orcus CE
Tiamat LE
Lolth CE
Moradin LG
Tsathogga CE
Arda LG

Vidar is included even though his cult has all but died out.
Moradin is the main God of non-evil Dwarves, although Dwarves of Burok Torn also have the Demigod Goran to follow.
Balder is worshipped among Gnomes as Garl Glittergold, one of his avatars a millenia ago.

xenoflare

First Post
Ah, good to see that Magni, the Scion of Thor's still going strong.. the genasi feats from Dragon are really great for flavour, and quite powerful in appropriate situations. Hooray!

i notice you've got Tsathogga - isn't that the Clark Ashton Smith toad-god? And the Arda, is that related in any way to the Tolkien Arda?

Yours,
shao

Balrog

First Post
xenoflare said:
Ah, good to see that Magni, the Scion of Thor's still going strong.. the genasi feats from Dragon are really great for flavour, and quite powerful in appropriate situations. Hooray!

i notice you've got Tsathogga - isn't that the Clark Ashton Smith toad-god? And the Arda, is that related in any way to the Tolkien Arda?

Yours,
shao

I dont know who Clark Ashton Smith is, but it is Tsathogga the demon frog god from the Necromancer Games PDF supplement Gods and Demons. Arda is not related to the Tolkein Arda, just a funny coincidence. It is supposed to be the Sun God Arden from the same PDF, but I had lost it early on. When one player wanted to make up a Paladin follower of the God, I mistook the name from memory (my hard drive was being fixed and I didnt have access to the file). Anyway, I later found out the mistake of course, but by then the name had been used by the player a while and he actually preferred it. So we let it stick.

xenoflare

First Post
Some info on Clark Ashton Smith

From http://www.oceanstar.com/cas/biooutof.htm

Readers of weird lore in our time are familiar with the famed Cthulhu mythology of H. P. Lovecraft, the mythology to which other writers added bits and portions; of those writers, none added so much as Clark Ashton Smith—and this despite the fact that Smith had created a fantastic setting all his own: the fabled land of Averoigne, which had taken hold of many readers and fired their imagination. His hyperborean settings have achieved a popularity equaled only by the lore of legend-haunted Arkham that was Lovecraft's. Indeed, so completely did Smith identify many of his settings with those of Lovecraft's, with the aid and at the behest of Lovecraft himself, that today many of his remarkable sculptures bear such recognizable names as Cthulhu, The Outsider, Tsathoggua, Yuggoth, Hastur, etc. With consummate skill, Smith has added characters, enlarged on settings, spun his stories to embrace a far wider area in time for the Ancient Ones and the Elder Gods; he has himself invented the Book of Eibon, Tsathoggua, and many other place-names and characters in the mythos, used by Lovecraft as well as himself.

Oh, Clark Ashton Smith is the writer who made up the demon froggy god haha i think in his works of fiction.. i think the concept's now pretty much a meme in fantasy horror, alongside tentacled monstrosities and elder protoplasmic gods of chaos. Sounds pretty cool, all in all - i did a double take when i saw the Arda haha, after all, your sig is a quote of King Theoden...

Yours,
shao

Last edited:

Balrog

First Post
Had a gaming session a couple of days ago (sunday night), so i was holding off posting the recap/prologue of the early campaign until after that.

I will be posting in the next couple of days, and trying to slowly bring the campaign up to present time--the PCs are 12th to 14th level now.

Balrog

First Post
xenoflare said:
From http://www.oceanstar.com/cas/biooutof.htm

Readers of weird lore in our time are familiar with the famed Cthulhu mythology of H. P. Lovecraft, the mythology to which other writers added bits and portions; of those writers, none added so much as Clark Ashton Smith—and this despite the fact that Smith had created a fantastic setting all his own: the fabled land of Averoigne, which had taken hold of many readers and fired their imagination. His hyperborean settings have achieved a popularity equaled only by the lore of legend-haunted Arkham that was Lovecraft's. Indeed, so completely did Smith identify many of his settings with those of Lovecraft's, with the aid and at the behest of Lovecraft himself, that today many of his remarkable sculptures bear such recognizable names as Cthulhu, The Outsider, Tsathoggua, Yuggoth, Hastur, etc. With consummate skill, Smith has added characters, enlarged on settings, spun his stories to embrace a far wider area in time for the Ancient Ones and the Elder Gods; he has himself invented the Book of Eibon, Tsathoggua, and many other place-names and characters in the mythos, used by Lovecraft as well as himself.

Oh, Clark Ashton Smith is the writer who made up the demon froggy god haha i think in his works of fiction.. i think the concept's now pretty much a meme in fantasy horror, alongside tentacled monstrosities and elder protoplasmic gods of chaos. Sounds pretty cool, all in all - i did a double take when i saw the Arda haha, after all, your sig is a quote of King Theoden...

Yours,
shao

Thank you for the heads up.......I will have to try to check his works out sometime.

Remove ads